Discrimitrivia monthly

Discrim

i got three questions while i say goodbye to baseball this year.  

1)White Sox pitcher Billy Wynne won the first game he played at Milwaukee County Stadium.  (note, first game at said stadium, not first MLB start).  So what was so unusual about it?

2) In 1945, the Washington Senators' starting rotation was 4/5 knuckleballers.  Who was the only non-knuckler?

3) The save became an official statistic in 1969.  Name the men who earned the first saves in the National and American Leagues, and denote which one earned the first save in major league history.

last one was a softball compared to these.  i said discrimitrivia would be back, and it's back with a vengeance :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Let's see. I'll take a shot at this.

1) It was, in fact, Wynne's first Major League victory. It was one of 20 "home" games that the Chicago White Sox played at Milwaukee County Stadium that year. Ironically, the victory came at the expense of the Seattle Pilots... who would relocate to Milwaukee and become the Brewers.

2) The only "non-knuckler" in the 1945 Washington Senators' starting rotation was Marino Pieretti. The four knuckleballers were Mickey Haefner, Dutch Leonard, Johnny Niggeling and Roger Wolff.

3)The first official save to be recorded in National League AND Major League Baseball history, was earned by Bill Singer of the Los Angeles Dodgers (over the Cincinnati Reds, I believe). The first official save to be recorded in the American League was, I believe, picked up by either Juan Pizarro of the Boston Red Sox or Jack Aker of the Seattle Pilots.

Brian in Boston

sec19row53 got the first one right and didn't even try touching the other two...don't blame ya.  and Brian must have the same book i do, those look like he ripped em straight from said book.  Brian is correct on all three(Pizarro got AL's first save)..for question #1, i also would have taken 'he didn't beat the braves or brewers' as an answer (although if you wanna be picky, he sort of beat the latter)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

sec19row53 got the first one right and didn't even try touching the other two...don't blame ya

It pays to be close to the question :D

Hijacking this thread, I'll ask my favorite baseball trivia question:

What do the following players have in common (and it's something that would make it difficult to add to the list, not "they all homered on August 15" or something like that):

Henry Aaron

Babe Ruth

Willie Mays

Ron Santo

Don Kessinger

and Dwight Gooden

It's where I sit.

3)The first official save to be recorded in National League AND Major League Baseball history, was earned by Bill Singer of the Los Angeles Dodgers

Bonus question.... what other 'famous' first did Bill Singer record?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Bonus question.... what other 'famous' first did Bill Singer record?

Singer was the first starting pitcher for the blue jays....if that's what you were going for.

that was what i was going for... and thanks to brian i learned something uniform related today  :D

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived