More from your english cousin

Saintsfan

Okay here are some more of my thoughts on American Sports

1. The NFL is proof that less is more. 16 game regular season, 1 big final game= all around success. I can never get over the fact that 8 or 9 of the top rated US shows in history have been superbowls.

2. Its seems kind of weird to me when teams were there white jersey at home. Seems to make more sense to wear the colored one to me!

3. Why is Dennis Green not coaching in the NFL? he did a great job with the Vikings, surely someone would want him?

4. The quarter back is a unique position in sports! Really it is, I can't think of any other player in any sport who has to make the kind of decisions he does, with the implications his decisions have.

5. I think its a shame the US has stolen Canada's national game in the way that it has. Fancy steeling teams from places like Winnipeg and transplating them to places like Phoenix.

6. Why are the Arizona Cardinals so totally inempt as a franchise? They must be as bad as the Benglas really. I mean you lose your star quarterback and don't really replace him, of course ytou are gonna suck!

7. Lance Armstrong gets my vote for superhuman sportsman on the planet. I mean, the guy recovers from leukemia, then goea and wins the tour de france, (a bike race ALL the way around France) 5 times!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

1. Agreed.  The NFL is an inexplicable phenomenon in the US and much of its popularity can be linked to the great Pete Rozelle and the group of 10 NFL owners who took a chance in making a 30-something p.r. guy out of L.A. their commissioner.  Mr. Rozelle is #1 on my list of most admired business people.

2. Growing up an NFL fan, this has never stricken me as odd.  It's just one of those unique NFL traditions.  

3. My guess is that if Dennis Green wanted to be a head coach in the NFL he would be one.  I'm not so sure he has made himself available to teams looking for coaches.  The only knock on him seems to be that he had a couple of Viking teams that underachieved, especially the 1998 version (not that the Falcons were that bad, but the Vikings were more talented).  I am sure there are a few teams out there that would be thrilled just to put together a handful of consecutive playoff appearances and Green is certainly capable of that if the right talent mix is present.

4. Agreed - That's what makes football such an interesting and unique game in my opinion.

5. This is a "glass half full; glass half empty" issue.  It's certainly good that American dollars are being spent on Canada's game, but at the same time, Canadian cities have lost franchises in their game's premier professional league.  If there was an endless supply of NHL caliber talent (and arguments can be made there's a shortage even within the NHL), then this wouldn't be a problem - the NHL would have 44 teams.  Unfortunately, American fatcats have more money than Canadian fatcats (and in some cases entire Canadian communities) and thus "economic factors" are used to justify moving teams from less profitable Canadian cities to more lucrative American cities that may or may not turn out to be stable, hockey-supporting markets in the long run.  It's not fair, but few things in business are.

6. They are worse than the Bengals.  The Bengals have been to two Super Bowls in the last 22 years.  The Cardinals have never hosted a playoff game in the modern era, have played a total of 4 playoff games since 1948 and have only won two postseason games in their entire history - and those games were 51 years apart!

7. No arguments.  I get winded after 15 minutes on a stationary bike!

As always, Saintsfan, your opinions and reflections are refreshing and interesting and they certainly do invite spirited discussion.

1. The NFL is proof that less is more. 16 game regular season, 1 big final game= all around success. I can never get over the fact that 8 or 9 of the top rated US shows in history have been superbowls.

3. Why is Dennis Green not coaching in the NFL? he did a great job with the Vikings, surely someone would want him?

5. I think its a shame the US has stolen Canada's national game in the way that it has. Fancy steeling teams from places like Winnipeg and transplating them to places like Phoenix.

#1: More sports do this because in baseball for instance, the punishment of 162 games is not too bad (stll too long IMO). But I'd say hockey sould shorten reg season & playoffs, baseball should shorten reg season and add playoff teams, and basketball should axe just a few games.

#3: Ditto Ted Nolan and the NHL. One second Coach of the Year, the next... vanished, Without A Trace style.

#5. Amen, brother.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

#3: Ditto Ted Nolan and the NHL. One second Coach of the Year, the next... vanished, Without A Trace style.

I used to see Ted Nolan at Oshawa Generals games all the time, his son played for us... last I heard he was recently drafted by a team, not sure where though!

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

2. Its seems kind of weird to me when teams were there white jersey at home. Seems to make more sense to wear the colored one to me!

4. The quarter back is a unique position in sports! Really it is, I can't think of any other player in any sport who has to make the kind of decisions he does, with the implications his decisions have.

6. Why are the Arizona Cardinals so totally inempt as a franchise? They must be as bad as the Benglas really. I mean you lose your star quarterback and don't really replace him, of course ytou are gonna suck!

7. Lance Armstrong gets my vote for superhuman sportsman on the planet. I mean, the guy recovers from leukemia, then goea and wins the tour de france, (a bike race ALL the way around France) 5 times!

1.  Yes.  In the NFL, practically every game counts.  Hell, my 49ers have lost 4 games and people are already doubting their playoff chances.  In baseball, midway through the season, if a team ahd only lost 4... that'd be a record...  :D

2.  Um... I dunno on this one.  I think Dark jerseys at home should be enforced by the NFL.  However, white homes seem to work good in the NBA, and worked good in hockey.  And then baseball, gray at home would just be bad.

3. If I'm not mistaking... he showed interest in my precious 49ers' coaching job, but got no love back from the team.  Which was the biggest mistake they ever did make.

4.  What makes the QB position so unique is that he touches the ball every offensive plays.  Another thing is that they researched it or whatever and a QB has less than 3 seconds to get rid of the ball, really.  So he has to look over as many as 5 possible WR's in that amount of time, hands waving in front of him, and the possibility of being blindsided in the back of his mind.

5.  In some cases it hasn't been so bad.  Colorado took an immediate liking to the Avalanche and have now soldout out just a few games shy of 400 straight home games.  I was at #394 when they lost to the Blues.  So some moves aren't bad.  But Winnipeg to Phoenix?  pleeease.  And it's not like we had the full intent to steal the sport, it's just turned out that the Canadian dollar can't compete with ours.

6. Another Cardinals stat... since the NFL went to a 16 game schedule, the Cardinals and Texans are the only 2 teams to have never won atleast 10 regular season games... And the Texans are a second year franchise.  They only won 9 in the year the year they beat the Cowboys in the playoffs.   :laugh:

7. last year I had to do a debate about most unfluential athletes ever.  I did Jim Abbott, but damnit... Lance Armstrong was mine if my friend didn't pick him.  I don't think i could bike all the way around my block once.

IUe6Hvh.png

1. The briefness of the NFL schedudle is everything it makes every Sunday an event, and its one reason why teh NFL is the number sport and will never be surpassed.

2. In the NFL its the home teams choice. Some choose white out of preference, some out of superstiotion and southern teams where white especially earlly in the season cause its cooler in the hot sun.

3. Dennis Green had a legitimate shot at the 49ers coaching Job, but wants total control in terms of also being GM so he didnt get the job.

5. The amount of NHL teams in the US are simply about money if Cnadas Money was as strong as our they would have the teams they deserve to have in places liek Halifax Winnipeg Saskatchewan, and more. However thats the way it is sometimes, when Money rules all.

6. The Cardinals have bad owners they have been owned by same family since the 1930s and have historically been bad they won just 1 NFL championship and 2 playoff games in that time.

7. Lance Armstong is just amazing his legend will even grow larger as the years move on I think.  

Hey Siants fan have you ever visited my website its got the histories of every team in the 4 Major US sports you may find it intresting and helpful.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

like has been said, some wear whites at home due to superstition, southern teams wear white when it's hot, i have no idea why LSU does it and the cowboys do it cus tex schramm didn't want blue vs white all the time.

i figure you and me shoulda been alive to see Johnny Unitas then, back when QBs actually called their own plays. closest thing i know of nowadays (as far as calling his own plays) is Clint Dolezel in the arena league

all i gotta say is ol' Paul Brown didn't pass down any football smarts to Mikey...that and the Cardinals are good like every 20 years, so see ya in 2019 :laugh:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

3 - I think that Dennis Green has an ego to match his mid-section.  He wants more control than anyone has (yet) been willing to give him.  Let's not forget, he never got the Vikings to the Super Bowl, let alone winning it all.

4 - I'm surprised that no one has made a case for catchers in baseball.  They're the only player who is facing the rest of the field, has to direct plays when the action is coming right at him, and (generally) dictates the pace of the game by his pitch selection.  All doing this while crouching-standing-crouching...

6 - Bill Bidwell.  The one constant in the Cardinals franchise.  He's just an older version of Mike Brown (except that Bidwell's dad isn't a Hall of Famer).

It's where I sit.

6 - Bill Bidwell. The one constant in the Cardinals franchise. He's just an older version of Mike Brown (except that Bidwell's dad isn't a Hall of Famer).

Yes he is.  Shocking, but true.  Charles "Stormy" Bidwill was a giant of the old NFL.  Unfortunately, he died before he could teach young Billy how to run a football team or to convince Charles, Jr. not to sell out to his kid brother before the whole thing went down the crapper.

Hey Siants fan have you ever visited my website its got the histories of every team in the 4 Major US sports you may find it intresting and helpful.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/

I have been there a few times, I particularly enjoy the photos sections! Good work with it!

Dennis Green is far from the only coach in sports who I'd have thought some teams would have killed for. The 49ers job seemed a perfect fit for him. If the 49ers were gonna dump a guy like Mariucci you'd have thought they would want an elite coach to replace him. Still, point taken that he didn't win the superbowl or even a championship, but he did turn around a franchise that was heading slowly in the wrong direction. He is a coach I rated very highly!

Another US sportsman (dead now of course) worth giving it up for was Jesse Owens. Firstly for being the first worldwide black sports superstar, outside of boxong, and second for going to Berlin in 1936 and showing Hitler and the world just how dumb his racial theories were!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived