Nhl point system

CrookedThumb

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never used to care how each NHL team is awarded points, but now since the Lightning are 5-0-0-0 and still 2nd in the Southeast Division behind the Thrashers (4-0-2-1), I would like to know.

In quite possibly the stupidist decision EVER, OT losses get the same amount of points as ties, 1!  Loser points SUCK BAD>

Or, for a more thorough explanation:

Win = 2 pts

Loss = 0 pts

Tie = 1 pt

OT Loss = 1 pt

So, 5-0-0-0 is 5 x 2, or 10 pts.

4-0-2-1 is (4 x 2) + 2 + 1, or 11 pts.

During the season, teams will have differing numbers of games played, so a team with a slightly better record than another team could be behind them in the standings temporarily.  It all works itself out at the end of the season.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Yeah I rather see boring 5 minutes with nobody taking any chances and no points for the losers then cheap Overtime Losses. You lose in OT you should not be rewarded. It also should be a reward for the team who wins to keep a team you could later battle for the playoffs off the board.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

its so ridiculous. why the nhl did that? i have no clue, but its just pure stupididty.

the way i fell 2 points should be handed out each game.

if its a tie, they split and each get 1, and if someone wins and someone loses, the winner gets both points.

but nooooo, the nhl had to screw everything up and confuse casual fans, by makinf 4 columns, Win, loss, tie and overtime loss

stupid

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

its so ridiculous. why the nhl did that? i have no clue, but its just pure stupididty.

They did it to create more exciting overtimes (it worked, btw).  It's supposed to have the teams not care too much about giving up the goal because they already have the point in their backpocket, so why not go all out and try for that extra point, and if we mess up and the other team scores.. meh.

Something like that...  I don't like seeing it, but I can't deny the fact that it makes the OT's much more exciting.

Although nothing comes as close to being as intense as a playoff OT game, especially when you're team goes to triple OT only to lose  :(

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

They did it to create more exciting overtimes (it worked, btw). It's supposed to have the teams not care too much about giving up the goal because they already have the point in their backpocket, so why not go all out and try for that extra point, and if we mess up and the other team scores.. meh.

Something like that... I don't like seeing it, but I can't deny the fact that it makes the OT's much more exciting.

Although nothing comes as close to being as intense as a playoff OT game, especially when you're team goes to triple OT only to lose :(

True, but it could have just as easily been accomplished by going with a 3-point win...

My personal take is that you have a 10-minute overtime, followed if necessary by a shootout.  The game's winner gets 3 points if they win in OT, 2 if it goes to shootout.  The game's loser gets none if they lose during the 10-minutes, but 1 if it goes to the shootout.

nav-logo.png

My personal take is that you have a 10-minute overtime, followed if necessary by a shootout.  The game's winner gets 3 points if they win in OT, 2 if it goes to shootout.  The game's loser gets none if they lose during the 10-minutes, but 1 if it goes to the shootout.

That would work nicely... kind of what they do in World Cup soccer.

---

Chris Creamer

I have to agree on that one.  Shootouts, bah, bah, BAH.

I don't necessarily agree with the OTL, but I guess it does serve the purpose of generating excitement.  I still haven't figured out why the game finishing in a tie is such a bad thing, mind you, but overtime is certainly exciting, not to mention nerve-wracking.

POTD 2013-08-22

I'd rather have a tie then a shootout. It's like settling football with a field goal contest or a throw through the tire contest.

Yes, Death to shootouts, it's not exciting.

And for my money nothing is as exciting as overtime hockey. Especially, the playoff marathons.

Does anyone ever wonder what it would be like if the other of the Big 4 had tie games allowed? The NHL is the only big league that allows them. How different would basbeall be if they had tie games figured into a 180 game sched

Anyways, I'm back from my little tangent. I agree with JKR, nothing is better than playoff overtime, it's almost unreal to watch these guys play two three, even four overtime periods to win a game, its like playing a doubleheader with only the smallest of breaks, just to win one game and have to play again in another day

Does anyone ever wonder what it would be like if the other of the Big 4 had tie games allowed? The NHL is the only big league that allows them.

There are tie-games in NFL and CFL Football as well, and MLB does have the occasional tie-game

---

Chris Creamer

There are tie-games in NFL and CFL Football as well, and MLB does have the occasional tie-game

Yeah true there are ties in baseball one only need to remember the cluess shoulder hunch of Bud Selig at the 2002 ASG.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Not really.  In theory, 82 points means a .500 team.  With 30 teams now, plus the OTL points, it's not very likely.  The last couple of years, the #8 team in the West has had over 90.

POTD 2013-08-22

Archived