Nhl point system

CrookedThumb

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You wanna talk conspiracy ESPN hardly ever puts the Devils on during the regular season and the same with ABC, and they are consitent winners instead they have the Rangers on all the time. How is that fair.

As for the Predators maybe if they challange for a playoff spot they wil get on, teams taht are in or near last place shoudl not be on TV.

National TV should be for the best teams and right now teh Sharks are not that good. For some reason the Sharks fell apart and have to rebuild it happens to teams but there is no conspiracy. I can understand you are frustrated but this is getting tirring.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

please, the devils are ALWAYS on national tv. just as much as the rangers are.

and I can assure everyone Ive see the predators on espn at least three times a year. definitly more times then the sharks have been on.

and all Im seeing is "because the sharks arent good thats why".....have you even READ what Ive said before? that this crap goes on when the sharks are MAKING THE PLAYOFFS as well!

of course espn is gonna keep saying how bad the sharks are. because they hate the sharks. two years ago when the dallas stars didnt make the playoffs, all I heard was "the stars are not this bad"......so thats my story and Im sticking to it.

If some of you are claiming getting "tired" well guess what, you dont know what "tired" is. this rant is gonna continue until I see some marked improvment on how the sharks are treated in comparison to the other 29 teams in the league.

Oh, this is such B.S.  The Sharks were one of the darlings of ESPN just a couple of years ago, before they took all that talent and flushed it last season, then their management decided they needed to trade Owen Nolan.

Of course, I'm sure you're going to tell me the NHL caused Nolan to be traded.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

NHL forced them to trade Sheilds, Nolan, Selanne, Friesen, Whitney, Larionov should I continue? It's called a Bad GM moves, they were all horrible trades ....of course because no one wants SJ to do good. They also told Miikka Kiprusoff to play bad so there is no goalie contraversey and then it would have to be covered by ESPN which they don't want.

I do believe that NHL pressured the Sharks not to give in so easily to Nabokov but this wasn't one of your arguements.

then prove me wrong, if you can

because most likely, you cant

ok, i usually dont like to get involved in these scuffles, but i cant let blatant logical errors just fly by.

you cannot prove the positive with the negative. the lack of proof that you are wrong doesnt make you right anymore than lack of proof you are right makes you wrong. see, some things you can't prove. this is one of those things. the lack of proof for something cannot prove its opposite, especially when the idea in question is so abstract that it cant really be proven.

aside from your logical error, these talks of conspiracies are pretty nutty. i can name 5 teams that get less media attention than the sharkes. i remember tons of hype surrounding them last year before the season. and as far as the ducks are concerned? the sharks too will get hyped when they make an amazing underdog run to the stanley cup finals.

i'd love to be able to blame a huge far reaching conspiracy everytime my team had an off year, but its just not plausable

Azzuri.gif

Ok, before we get crazy here, let me say a couple of words...ok more than a couple of words.  I myself too think there is a conspiracy.  Why, I don't know.  But I have been tracking down since day one.  

1. Oakland North Stars?- In the summer of 1990, then North Stars ownerGeorge Gund wanted to move the team to Oakland.  the league refused to move franchises, stating it wanted stability in its teams.  a deal was made for the Gunds to sell the North Stars to Howard Baldwin and Norm Green (BOO!) in exchange for an expansion team in the Bay Area.  (Do I really need to tell you how many teams have moved since the Sharks entered the league?)  This also meant that the 1991 Stanley Cup Finals would've taken place in Oakland.

NOTE: Please, no offense to the fans of the NorthStars/Wild.

2. Entry Draft 1991 - How is it that outside San Jose, Anaheim, Florida that the most recent expansion teams had the first picks in the draft?  The 1991 Entry Draft had Quebec picking #1, then San Jose #2.  I think we all know what happened here.  Lindros gets picked by les Nordiques and the Sharks take Pat Falloon.  The following year, in which the Sharks were the worst team in the league, they picked at #3, behind expansion Tampa Bay and Ottawa.

3. Free agency in 1993-94-  San Jose was negotiating and signed Kelly Miller (from WAS) and Craig Simpson (from EDM).  The league nullified the contracts, stating the Sharks tampered with the players.  Later in the summer of '93, Sharks forward Kelly Kisio signed with Calgary, and the Sharks cried foul.  The league said no tampering was made.

4. Kerry Fraser- Don't get me wrong, Fraser is a good ref.  But some coincidences are too close to comfort.  In a game in the 1997-98 season, Sharks goalie Mike Vernon was interefered with, which went with no call.  Sharks were down big in the game and as he was clearing the puck, he intentionally shot it very close to Fraser's trademark hairdo.  Fraser, gave him an "death stare" look.  Fast forward to Game 5 of the '98 West Quarterfinals.  Sharks rallied to tied the game, when Mike Modano throws the puck at the net and scores.  One problem, Jamie Langenbrunner was not only in the crease, but interefering with Vernon.  The goal stood, and no replay call was made.  Vernon had a fit including pointing to the  jumbotron with visual proof of the "in the crease" violation.  Needless to say Sharks lose game 5 and evenutally lost the series.  Who was the ref for that game?  Kerry Fraser.

5. Nolan-Marshall hit  Let me say first off Nolan deserved some kind of suspension and the game misconduct.  But if the ref calls Marshall with the 5minute major for checking from behind Nolan in the first place, with a game misconduct there is no retalliation at the end of the period by Nolan.  No altercation, no harm.  In the end, the league waits almost an entire week (longer than Tie Domi's hit on Scott Niedermayer in the playoffs a couple of years ago).  In the meantime, the suckerpunch is shown over and over and over and over again on the sports networks.  With so much bashing the league suspends Nolan for 11 games.  In the meantime, the week that the decision is being made, Marshall misses one game, and returns and scores 2 goals.  During the suspension, the Sharks blow their 7 point lead in the Pacific Division and lose the division, and end up 5th in the conference, only to be eliminated to the Blues in the first round.  (I see STL Fanatic smiling about the Blues part.   :)  )

Those are the major conspiracies, please don't judge myself on it.  It's just what I saw.  I have stated my case.  If you want to tell me to **** off, please PM me.  Again I apologize if this makes you upset.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

those are all very legitimate points, and I did intend to point out aqua-net fraser's blatent disdain for the sharks  but of course, that would have just resulted in more undeserved venom in my direction.

the nolan on marshall hit I did touch on however. and like I said before, if that same incident occurs now with nolan on the leafs, I guarantee he doesnt get more then a five game suspension.

of course, no matter how good your points are, the way these fools on here think they will most likely still tell you to "F off". lose-lose situation. of course, thats what comes with being a sharks fan

One more I forgot:

6. Suspensions for Opponents The one thing is to play tough, another is to intent to injure.  In 1995, the Sharks were playing a fierce, gritty contest with the Canucks.  In the second period there were already major tussles, but one takes the cake.  Sharks forward Uld Dahlen was cross checked, then once Dahlen was down on the ice, punched him the back of the neck twice by Vancouver defenseman, Dana Murzyn.  He also put his knee on top of Dahlen until Dahlen's teammates came to the rescue.  Dahlen never return while Murzyn got a double minor and a 10-minute misconduct.  The league later suspended him for one game.  The team from the players to the front office were in an uproar.  When Murzyn and the Canucks came back to San Jose, Sharks captain Jeff Odgers fought him and (now being a little bias here) beat the living heck out of him.

Another incident came a season later in 1995-96.  In a game between San Jose and St. Louis, the Sharks came back from down 3-1 to tie in the third period.  Team Teal was on a power play trying to take the lead.  Jeff Friesen's stick was tied up underneath Blues defenseman Murray Baron as both went after a loose puck.  Once Friesen's stick was free, Baron intently two-handed slashed Friesen behind the knee.  Friesen went down and the replay showed the grunting Baron had on his face when he did it.  Baron got a 5 and a game misconduct.  Sharks won teh game 7-3, but Baron was not suspended for his actions.

In 2002-03, Blue Jackets forward Jody Shelley (who was displeased by a check thrown by Sharks defenseman Brad Stuart in the team's last meeting) check Stuart into the boards and then sucker punches Stuart twice knocking him out cold.  Shelley received only a 2 game suspension, while Stuart missed the final 24 games of the season.

(This reply also serves as the biggest BUMP in the history of the CCSLP)

Good points.  As far as a flat out conspiracy goes, I still can't believe it.  These to me just seem like many bad coincidences.  (Hell, I've yet to see a Leafs fan forgive Alfredsson for that hit on Tucker in Game 6 of the 2002 Conference Semis) Try and think of a reason why the NHL would conspire against the Sharks.

Oh and Kerry Fraser is just a flat out dick.  Remember the Pandolfo goal that didn't happen in Game 3 of the NJ/Ottawa series last season?  Or this fine example that I didn't actually see, but did hear about numerous, numerous times, where in a game vs. Toronto, some team shot the puck, it hit the post, travelled perfectly across the outside of the goal line, hit the other post and flew out down the ice.  Fraser called it a goal.  All replays clearly showed that the puck never crossed the line at all and never touched white ice.  You couldn't even see it in the overhead shot.  After the game, Fraser stated that "as the puck was flipping through the air, it broke the plane of the red line"  (1. The puck never left the ice.  2. The puck has to be completely on the white ice to count as a goal, just touching it doesn't count.)

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Now there is evidence and reasonable thought.  You ought to try it some time, SHB.

Just to correct you, Puckguy, Fraser is not a good official, and has pretty much made bad calls against every team as he's gone along.  As much as he thinks that mound of hair protects him, I think he's taken a few too many to the head.

Now you did leave one piece out of the North Star situation.  San Jose was an expansion team... kindof.  I believe what ended up happening is that they "split" the franchise, since the Seals/Barons franchise merged with the North Stars franchise in the 70s.  With that happening, the Sharks also got a good number of the North Star players, and both the North Stars and Sharks picked in the expansion draft.  (And, after a move like that, it's probably less likely that Oakland would have made the Cup Finals; it was a weird run to begin with, knocking off the #1 and #2 teams in the league--Chicago and St. Louis [*sigh*] respectively--on the way to the finals.  Of course they got crushed by the Pens once they got there.)

As for the expansion draft choices, the NHL blew it with the way expansion draft picks were done for the early teams.  Reasonable management is why San Jose made a couple playoff pushes after three years, while Ottawa and Tampa Bay were ultra-horrible to start out.  It got a little better with Anaheim and Florida (though in the entry draft their expansion year, they picked 4 and 5), and the latest round of expansion seems to have worked out better as well.  Now, I'd say this is more that the league screwed up (yeah, that's never happened before), rather than targeting San Jose, but say what you will.

(In case you're curious, as I was, here are players that went later in the first round than Lindros the crybaby and Falloon the bust: Scott Niedermayer, Peter Forsberg, Brian Rolston, Philippe Boucher, Markus Naslund, Martin Rucinsky.  The Sharks' second-round picks were Ray Whitney and Sandis Ozolinsh, who both certainly turned out better than Falloon.  Ziggy Palffy and Jozef Stumpel were also taken in the second round.  And for my own information, it's true the Blues couldn't draft worth anything, because their first pick, coming in the second round, was Steve Staios.  Source: HockeyDB.)

You make very interesting points, but I think if you give a fan of any team in the NHL a chance to dig things up over a similar time period, they'd find similiar evidence that the league had it in for their team.

POTD 2013-08-22

Thanks guys, both of you made good points.  Roger and Mockba, I was trying to be nice about Kerry.  If I really wrote what I really think of the guy, Chris would ban me.   :D Fraser has ****ed up several times to the Nth power.  But as a crazed psycho fan come playoff time, I thought he was "having fun" with the Stars after the playoff games.  *hits myself upside the head*

Mockba, sorry about that.  I forgot to mention the dispersal draft.  As a part of the deal for the Gunds to get the Bay Area team, was to get a certain number of players from the NorthStars organization.  It was known that at one time, that when Howard Baldwin was in charge for less than a month, he agreed to send up to 30 players to San Jose, with just the Sharks doing the expansion draft.  Norm Green (BOOO!) in his only decent move, made a deal to get 24 to San Jose from Minnesota, and for both San Jose and Minnesota to pick players in the Expansion Draft.  

I also have a list in my history page on my site, the Teal Town Zone the last "memory" if you want to call that, will be the Entry Draft.  Mockba you touched on 1991.  Sharks management has made some brutal moves.  Here are some others, from my site.

Laugh along with me!

June 20, 1993 - The San Jose Sharks take part in their third NHL Entry Draft. Viktor Kozlov was selected 6th overall. San Jose had traded it's 2nd overall pick to Hartford for the 6th overall pick and Sergei Makarov. Players San Jose passed on in round one included: Chris Pronger, Paul Kariya, Jason Arnott, Niklas Sundstrom, Todd Harvey, Jocelyn Thibault, Adam Deadmarsh, Jason Allison, Saku Koivu, and Todd Bertuzzi.

1994 was probably their best draft.  Drafting Alex Korolyuk, Evgeni Nabokov, and some guy who "could never win a Stanley Cup so we'll trade him to Anaheim" name Jeff Friesen.

July 8, 1995 - It was the year of the "Fin" for the Sharks at the NHL Entry Draft. The Sharks selected 6 players from Finland including Teemu Riihijarvi draft 12th overall. Riihijarvi has never played a game for San Jose and is considered the biggest bust in the NHL Draft.  LOL The Sharks also selected goaltender Miika Kiprusoff in the 5th Round. Players passed up by San Jose include:Kyle McLaren and Petr Sykora.

The NHL has a conspiracy against the Leafs   :;):  :;):

We've made it to the Conference Finals 4 times in the past 10 years, each time against a team we were supposed to beat, and didn't make it to the finals once.

In game 6 OT, 1993 Campbell Conference Finals Kerry Frasier didn't call a penalty for high sticking against Wayne Gretzky, the high stick cut Doug Gilmour's lip.  An automatic 4-minute penalty.   Nope, Gilmour must've made himself bleed, and Gretzky scores the game winner 40 seconds later.  Of course the reason for this was to get the Kings into the Stanley cup finals to peak interest in California hockey, what with a new team in San Jose, and one coming up in anaheim a few months later.

The Leafs didn't get to participate in an expansion draft when they entered the league   :P

The leafs have only been allowed to pick first overall once.

The leafs are rarely on national american television, yet having one of the largest fanbases in the league!   And when they are shown on national u.s. television, their own fans in toronto cannot watch that coverage!  what a crock!

Everyone attacks the leafs, and leafs fans.

tie domi is the only player in nhl history to get a penalty after a video review, and then was suspended, while the leafs had the momentum in their favour in a series against the devils... naturally we lost the remainding games...  gotta have the NYC area in the semi-finals of course   :;):

the leafs routinely finish near the top of their conference, yet never get any mention as a contender on any program

despite practically selling out every game since the 1940s, the Leafs have only hosted one nhl all-star game in the past 36 years.

Now, honestly, I'm kidding around here, but all of those stories are true (with my own faux-opinions added to them).  I'm trying to point out that you could do something like this for any NHL team, except maybe the Red Wings, or the Avalanche  :angry:

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Rock on CC!  Good and interesting point on Game 6 of 1993 West Finals.  I forgot about that.  

Also the video replay of the 1992 Norris Division Semis with Minny and Detroit.

Ok, but enough!  That's it. I'm done here, and I'm going back to the Sports Logo board. See ya

tie domi is the only player in nhl history to get a penalty after a video review, and then was suspended, while the leafs had the momentum in their favour in a series against the devils... naturally we lost the remainding games...  gotta have the NYC area in the semi-finals of course    

Yea, that's right elbowing and attempting to hurt one of the other teams best players while he's getting off the ice away from the play isn't a penalty. Domi should have been kicked out of hockey for that.

Shark, if you notice the Devils are only on ESPN/ESPN2 when thier playing the Rangers or Flyers. Thier rarely on playing anyone else. And the only time thier on when thier is no blackout is the playoffs. If the NHL has it out for any team it's the Devils. An example, JS Giguere. Yes the Con Smyth is for the entire playoffs, but in the Entire playoffs Broduer had 7 shutouts (a record) and 3 when it counted the most in the finals (a record). Plus when it counted the most Giguere didn't show up. That series was 1 fluke goal from being a sweep.

I think you missed CC's sarcasm there, Joker.  :D

But, "one fluke goal away from being a sweep"?  The series went seven games.  There was no 3-0 lead.  *scratches head*

POTD 2013-08-22

Don't forget the conspiracy against the Capitals last year!

The NHL wanted New Jersey to win the east b/c of the new york bias, so they rigged the Caps/Lightning series b/c they knew the Caps were a better match against the devils.

Up 2 games to none going back home the NHL knew it needed to do something quick to continue the fix. So they employed a new strategy....calling redicouls penalties against the Caps in OT. It Worked! The lightning won game 3 on a phantom 5 on 3. making the caps the first team to lose a playoff game on a 5 on 3 in like 70 years.

THEN the NHL forced the caps to schedule game 4 on passover and game 6 on easter therby limiting the amount of fans who could come and support the caps. In game 6 the refs once again "forgot" to "swallow the whistle" and the caps again lost on an OT power play.

now listen. is a far reaching NHL conspiracy really to blame for this? no, its stupid scheduling by the Caps/Wizards ownership and crap refs.

gentelmen, lets leave conspiracy theorys to oliver stone.

[by the way, where was Gary Bettmen in november of 63?]

Azzuri.gif

Archived