I have seen the face of the "logo apocalypse"...

Brian in Boston

The Lowell Spinners (New York-Penn League affiliate of the Boston Red Sox) have unveiled their new baseball cap logo for the 2004 season. Let's just say that they've apparently located the brain-addled brother of the Norwich "NaviGator".

The new logo incorporates the team's "Canaligator" mascot along with their more traditional "spindle bat" icon. The "spindle bat" pays homage to Lowell's history as a center of the textile industry. "Canaligator" supposedly lives in one of the many canals that criss-crosses the city. These canals carried water from the Merrimack River to the textile mills throughout Lowell.

http://www.lowellspinners.com

Brian in Boston

sweet Jesus that's terrible.  As a mascot, fine whaterver.  MMascots in minor league ball are supposed to  be silly and, well, fruity.  But as a full time logo?  Come now.  The gator has pimples and a wild tuft of head hair for crying out loud!!!  Unless there is something I'm missing, the word canaligators makes no sense.  Navigators is clever.  yes, I guess aligator is embedded in canaligator, but come on, it's not even spelled right.

There was no reason to get rid of the logo EZ Street posted(it's a good logo), or even that tornado guy they had.  This is just terrible.  

The alligator's eyelids are white.  What's up with that?

Mascots in minor league ball are supposed to be silly and, well, fruity.

Mo_elevator.jpg

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

:D  :D  :D  :D

I was wondering what they'd do.

Biscuits looks Photoshopped on, but then again... if they're weird enough to name a team the Biscuits...

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

oh christ no

When I was at a Spinners game last summer, I saw something along those lines on a polo shirt. A sign said "preview of next year's logo". Since it was small embroidery, I didn't read much into it.

Ever since the Spinners started back in 96 or so their mascot has been the Canaligator. That was almost the team nickname too, but they settled with "Spinners" and made the Canaligator their mascot. A few years later they gave the Canaligator a "girlfriend" mascot too. None of which have anything to do with a spindle of yarn on a bat. (An example of a post I had on another board).

When the Lock Monsters started playing in 1998, their mascot was similar looking to the Canaligator. It was Louie the LockMonster. Louie was very popular, and I suppose the Spinners kept the Canaligator as a distant cousin to the Lock Monster.

As someone who lives close to the Tsongas Arena (LockMonsters) and can see LeLacheur Park (Spinners) from my bed, I can tell you that no 6-foot reptilian/amphibian hybrids inhabit the canals. The only things in the locks are dead rats, shopping carts, guns, and the occasional discarded gang member.

The Spinners logo I always liked was the "Spinning Eye" logo that looked like a hurricane symbol. At the very least, a simple "L" in the Boston Red Sox style would be appropriate. But this team seems to be too dependent on getting kids to like them. The kids aren't paying their way into the park, they're not paying for anything. But they have so many contests and activities for kids you think they were the only clientele. At least ask the PAYING customers what might look nice.

If it weren't for teams trying too hard to please kids, we wouldn't have teams named after movies in trendy colors (hello, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim)

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

i think you guys are bein a little too tough on em. i mean sure the logo is really silly looking, cartoonish and stupid, but hello people its MINOR league baseball. minor league baseball is mostly for kids. some of my fondests sports memories come from going to minor league games of teams with stupid names, cartoonish logos and big mascots. the silliness is part of the fun of minor leagues, at least at the lower levels (A, AA). maybe for AAA u get a bit more serious, but only a bit. minor league baseball is not about serious edge-of-your-seat athletic competition, its about FUN...and maybe to some kids this logo is fun.

PS: awesome 200th post

Azzuri.gif

Well sure, Maroth lost 21 games this year. But he had to be good enough to start at least 27 games to get there.

Lowell has had a lot of Alumni in the Majors. David Eckstein, Shea Hillenbrand, Jack Cressend, Wilton Veras and Maroth to name but a few. I think Adam Everett and Frankie Rodriguez also played for Lowell (a suprising destination for a lot of Hispanic players). And let's not forget the Greek God of Walks, Kevin Youkilis, who should get up there eventually.

This team introduced local New England to DogMan, a hot dog vendor known for his barking chants. He bacame so popular that the LockMonsters hired him for a few seasons. The team also gave him an official position, "Clubhouse Manager" in addition to his vending duties.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived