Maybe sharkhatesbrown is right...

Frylock

I'm beginning to think that SharkHatesBrown is right, or at least on to something.  No, not his legendary crusade against a certain set of RGBs.  Rather, it's his steadfast belief that "retro sucks."

I'm not ready to jump on that bandwagon, as I truly appreciate sports history, even if that means barf-orange Astros uniforms and rainbow Nuggets jerseys.  Hell, if I had the money, I'd buy myself a Braves Hank Aaron-era M&N throwback jerseys.  That and one of thier Trail Blazers Drexler jerseys.  The Glide was the man...

But there's a point where I draw the line.  And I found that line today while watching the NFL telecasts.

When I flipped over to the Saints/Bucs game this morning, I almost thought I was watching old highlights, if it wasn't for the current Bucs logo.  Lo-and-freakin' behold, those God-awful "sharktooth" sideline hats are back.  And then during the ESPN Sunday Night game, there was even a commercial for them.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!  I thought those were dead and buried with the rest of the stuff that Logo Athletic created in the early 1990s.  Who thought this was a good idea?  Oh yeah, probably the yahoos who thought the mesh-back, truck-stop baseball caps were stylin' and absolutely had to be brought back.

Please sir, may we have more replica jerseys with screenprinting that'll flake off after wearing twice?

Ugh...  Can it get any worse? ???

f57469kaufk.jpg

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

of course Im right! sooner or later everyone is gonna realize that! :D

yeah I saw those hats too. whose bright idea was it to unearth those pieces of crap?

whats next, watching them get pitched on tv by troy aikman saying "get real"?

KRIS KROSS!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Retros are ok in moderation the problem with retros now is that there are too many of them and its getting tiring, as some of the worst throwbacks like teh Nuggets rainbows are coming out.  

If only a few retros came out here and there it would be much better.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

....for some reason i wanna JUMP, JUMP!

Anyways, I have realized the only reason retro is popular is becuase they are in every rap video. People don't really like the teams they wear, or think the logo/colors are cool. They just wear it cause "so and so" wears it in their video. It's like ripped acid washed jeans from the 80's, the jeans were not good looking, people just wore them because it was popular. At least that's my thought on it. I do have to say I really want a John Lynch creamsicle Buccaneers jersey. That's not becuase I like retro, i'm just really stange and always liked that damn jersey.

I am a fan of 'goin retro' for the most part, however it has gotten out of hand. I look forward to seein special event type games with the throwback for a game or two, but between alternate jerseys, third jerseys, fourth jersys, retro jereys, and all that jazz, i think most teams need to settle down for a while. Yes, this phase will pass where everything has to be retro and I hope it does soon, so when a team does do it for a game it will actually be special. So lets sum this up a bit here: (cue dana carveys bush impression voice)

a) Retro in moderation is good

B) Retro overkill is bad, its scary

josh

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

tell me about it, i am now the proud owner of an ugly ass astros hat...front panels are orange w/orange and navy MLB logo...middle panels are flourescent yellow :P  and back panels are yellow gold w/the blue H-star.  great, now all i need is a garage sale, which is gonna be tough to pull off considering it's november :angry:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

am I the only one here that is resistant to this craze?

I mean, you dont hear me raving about how Im gonna go out and get one of them bright orange giants jack clark pullovers now, right?

ok, so I own an authentic scarlet red/white only Rice 49ers jersey......but I must degress, because I actually bought that jersey when they were still wearing them!!! :P

I think the idea of 'throwbacks' is novel, like an old song, they remind you of old times you shared when you first saw them.

like shark wearin a rice-scarlett uni, or whatever it may be.

But there are two kinds of retro

Classic- that which rehashs the glory, or comically unfortunate days of a franchise-see also bucs pumpkin unis. But i wouldent mind LIMITED editions, that way its special.

Played- Shark tooth hats, starter pullovers, etc.  Things that were played out when they were around, now brought back.  Its both bad taste and bad marketing.  Some things should die, (unless originally preserved).  

Unfortunately, since the public has bitten hard, you'll see bad marketers and vendors rushing to get anything old on the shelves, but it honestly is bad taste.

Yeah going retro is a legitimate design idea, but like most design ideas, everyone jumps on the bandwagon and th idea loses its originality.

Like black... and teal

Chris,

Why?  Oh why?  turn against teal?  Oh the humanity!

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Yeah going retro is a legitimate design idea, but like most design ideas, everyone jumps on the bandwagon and th idea loses its originality.

and another group that jumped on teh retro bandwagon a couple years ago...the boys volleyball team at my high school has a retro night once a season, and if memory serves me right, they started that about 4 years ago...the current unis are mostly green, the old stuff is mostly yellow...but when you've won 5 state titles, i guess you can do that sort of thing :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

For those of us that lived in the 'retro years', it's nice to see the old stuff.  Good memories, but unfortuntely "OVERKILL" has set in.  Too much retro.  The kids in my school have all the gear.  

Rappers have put it in the forefront and if you don't like that stuff then it can put a 'bad taste' in your mouth.  I saw a country music video and they had an old Braves uni on.  But they don't over do it.  

IMO retro is not bad, just overdone to the point of . . .barf :P

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived