How would you fix the nhl?

habsfannova

As a little sidebar to the conversation, how would you do it if you were commissioner?

I would......

1.  Put in European rinks.  This would deaden the defensive dominance of the game and allow for more free style kind of action.

2.  Put in a revenue/salary plan that would equalize the field.  Not near the NFL thing (Because of the TV money), but make it fairly even.

3.  Cut 6 teams. Seems a bit harsh, but it would remove most of the talent dillusion.

4.  Radicaly reduce goalie pads.  To the minimum safely allowed.  Bring back artistic goaltending.

5.  Create an Original 6 division.  It would fire up old rivalries and have a nice add-on to the season.

6.  Have a "fan bill of rights", like the AFL does.  Also putting a limit on tickets in certain areas.  That would help with the cap thing.

7.  Bring in a lawyer to all negotiations between the  NHLPA and the league to represent fan intrests.

Any ideas, folks?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea of cutting some teams. I appologize for fans of teams in this situation, but cities in the sun belt should not have ice hockey teams. How intense is winter in Florida anyways?

I realize that some southern teams have done very well, Dallas, Florida, Anaiheim, San Jose, but comon, these places aren't exactly suited for a winter sport now are they? (ever see them refridgerating the Arena in Dallas during the playoffs?)

Also, cutting the teams down will move more talent onto the others teams, fewer teams means fewer total roster spots. Only the top notch players get in, so remaining teams have more talent to pick from

my problem with cutting teams is that it would be the small markets that lose out. They would probably keep the sunbelt teams and cut teams like Columbus for instance.

Personally I think something to even up the field would be  a good idea, some kind of revenue share or an effective salary cap would be the most effective thing I guess.

Also making goal tending a real art again would be a cool thing rather than having guys with pads that are bigging than the goals just getting in the way of the puck!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

my problem with cutting teams is that it would be the small markets that lose out. They would probably keep the sunbelt teams and cut teams like Columbus for instance.

Personally I think something to even up the field would be a good idea, some kind of revenue share or an effective salary cap would be the most effective thing I guess.

Also making goal tending a real art again would be a cool thing rather than having guys with pads that are bigging than the goals just getting in the way of the puck!

Nah, they would cut teams with little or no intrest.  Columbus does very well.

For a team that's only existed a few years, Columbus does have a dedicated fan base. They could be down 4-0 and the arena will go nuts if the Blue Jackets score. There are alot of teams that could kill for that kind of dedication.

Heres to real goaies again as well. None of this Garth-Snow-pushing-the-envelope stuff, do it like Jaques Plante and Ken Dryden used to!

6. Have a "fan bill of rights", like the AFL does. Also putting a limit on tickets in certain areas. That would help with the cap thing.

7. Bring in a lawyer to all negotiations between the NHLPA and the league to represent fan intrests.

I highly suggest to anyone who agrees with these two ideas that they join the NHL Fans' Association. The league has acknowledged the NHLFA but won't let them have an official voice until they have 75,000 members. They've been stuck at about 20,000 for quite some time now. Signing up is free (but you can donate money if you want) so you don't have anything to lose.  Get all your friends to sign up, too.

Cut Teams

Salary Cap (no revenue sharing)

-----------------------------------------------------------

1.  Put in European rinks.    No

4.  Radicaly reduce goalie pads.  To the minimum safely allowed.  Bring back artistic goaltending.    Agreed

5.  Create an Original 6 division.  It would fire up old rivalries and have a nice add-on to the season.    No. Your going to rip the Rangers from the Islanders and Devils? Your going to take away Detroit-Colorado? you can't do that now... it's too late...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Tag-up offsides, keeps the game flowing by less stoppages.

And I'm glad the Euro-Rinks will never happen, the NHL won't expand the rinks because then the lose the high price tickets.

The game needs to get less european and more hard hitting.

I agree reduce the size of the pads, goaltenders can still be great with small pads. Look at Broduer, if he stays healthy he could break most of the important goalie records and he uses some of the smallest (if not the smallest) pads in the league. The thing is all of the goalies coming up saw Roy and his butterfly with big pads. Maybe years from now you'll see smaller pads and more athletic goalie come up because of Brodeur. But that won't happen for a long time.

And one the Original 6 division- I agree with JQK, no. While some of the original 6 are still rival, most aren't that big. The ones that do still exist are because of location. You don't want to break up the current Atlantic division because all of the teams are fierce rivals with each other.

And I forgot this, the old playoff format. With the division playoff then confence finals, and Stanley Cup finals. I think it's a good playoff format that makes the first 2 rounds alot more interesting because you'll have rivals playing each other.

And I forgot this, the old playoff format. With the division playoff then confence finals, and Stanley Cup finals. I think it's a good playoff format that makes the first 2 rounds alot more interesting because you'll have rivals playing each other.

How would one have divisional playoffs with three divisions, or would this assume that enough teams would be contracted to go back to 2 divisions in each conference?

Hmmm...if I were commish of the NHL...

First off, I agree that reducing teams makes sense, although I'd only set my sights on two...maybe four at the most.  Idealy this would get the message across and condense the talent pool just enough to make things interesting.

I would keep NHL rinks standard size (the cost is just too prohibitive) but I would like to see measures taken to increase the overall speed of the game by either removing the red line or increasing the width of the blue lines...or both.  Other methods to decrease play stopages would also be investigated (perhaps even the reduction or all out removal of comercial breaks during play alla MLS).

Speaking of work stopages, I would like to see the labor dispute resolved, ideally with a hard salary cap and revenue sharing (that way no body is 100% happy...but everyone wins in the long run).

...and this is where I begin to get into fantasy:

The NHL in association with the CBC launch a new cable television network: CBC America with a programming schedule based on 100% Canadian content with hockey composing the majority of prime time programming (but also opens the possabilities for CFL and other uniquely Canadian sports broadcasting during the off season).  While I realize this is pure fantasy, the idea of the NHL working with an organization like the CBC strikes me as being more plausable than an all hockey network.

Given the ever increasing interest in hockey in Europe I would like to see the NHL establish a European Elite League that would serve as an intermediate developement pool for European players akin to the AHL but without direct affiliations or the frequent call ups.  Not only would the league serve to build the NHL brand in Europe, it would also serve as a valuable recruitment tool.  This may very well require its own thread.

Well I think thats enough lunacy for one eveing...

How about no touch icing? less time would be wasted chasing down the puck so teams would have more time to set-up plays in the other end, plus there is less danger of injury by two players racing heads down to try and touch the puck first

I dont think reducing teams is ever a good idea, but I would relocate some struggling teams like Nashville to places where they could more succesful and appricated like Winnepeg and Portland.

I think the NHL needs some slary structure maybe not a cap but a tax like MLB.

It needs better TV deals and marketing deals, perhaps find anothe rcable partner and instead of having American announcers simulcast Candian coverage, so we can have the real league, not the dumbed down version ESPN gives us.

Condense the season instead of sparesy playing 82 games from October to April shorten it so the regular season ends no later then St. Patrick's Day and the Finals end no later then Memorial Day. This way they are more then 1 full round ahead of the NBA, and they can have great fan attention for the semis and Finals, going agaisnt early round NBA playoffs.

Sell the league. Sell the League Sell the league.

Go after a younger demo, by making it faster and tougher, with harder hits

Eliminate the Red Line, we dont need offsides being called every few minutes this will create an even faster game.

Let defense play tough, and continue to allow fighting.

And last bot not least a radical idea, that I think will revolunitize the game, by increasing the ammount of times the most the Penataly SHot the NHL"s most exciting play occurs.

Allow each team to use 1 penalty shot in each game, in leiu of a 2-minute power play.  

This will be like a timeout you have just 1 poer game and you can use it or not, and you will have to decide when it is best to use it.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

How would I fix the NHL? Use this topic, http://www.detroithockey.net/cgi-bin....;t=3206

LOL

I was thinking about how to improve the NHL. Here is what I think would help. Folks, Rink will always be 200 x 85 unless they play in Olympic size rinks, thats just a fantasy. I'm sure your going to say fire Bettman but he has improved hockey.

Eliminate

2 line passing

Clutching and Grabbing

2 Officials

Change

Instigator rule - where you hit a star player, you could see a fight

1 Official, 2 Linesmen

Offside rule to Tag Up offsides - College and Juniors use it, less faceoffs

Crease - box inside the crease. Gives the players more area near the goal

Icing to Automatic Icing

Increase fighting

Keep hockey traditional as possible.

W-L-T 2 pts for W, 1 pt for T, 0 for L

5 on 5, 20 3 periods

Black Puck

2 min, 5 min, and 10 min penalties

Goalies don't serve penalties

Allow Ties - 5 min overtime

No Shoot outs

Never allow PP to be more than 5 on 3

Stay away from being a European Influenced hockey as much as possible

Salary Cap

Some kind of salary cap would be amazing and allow teams to compete equally.

Schedule

Cut down on the number of games. 30 teams each play each other 2x home and away = 58 games. 4 division teams will play again 4x more home and away = 16 games more. 74 game schedule. Seeing every team in the league atleast twice.

Remember the NO-Goal and Home Run Throwback, well NFL did it right by scheduling Titans at Buffalo the opening game of regular season, the NHL didn't by only scheduling Buffalo at Dallas and no other games. It would of sold-out in Buffalo, first game

Teams

Please take away non traditional hockey areas. I see why they have LA for TV reasons.

Welcome back Hartford, Quebec, Winnipeg.

I would love to see TB move to Palace of Auburn Hills and have 2 Detroit Teams and same goes for Chicago.

Montreal and Toronto would never embrace a second team. Would always be viewed as 2nd rate team.

Portland, Seattle, Milwaukee would get teams from Anaheim, Miami, Raleigh

Also like old Playoff System and CBC America ideas.

Drop 2 Teams would be nice and have a minor league system like MLB.

How about no touch icing? less time would be wasted chasing down the puck so teams would have more time to set-up plays in the other end, plus there is less danger of injury by two players racing heads down to try and touch the puck first

No, you have to have touch up icing... if the other player get's to the puck first, it can open up an offensive strike. It is a part of the game, leave it.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Eliminate the Red Line, we dont need offsides being called every few minutes this will create an even faster game.

How will elemenating the red line cause less offsides. Offsides is caused by the blueline.

As for eliminating the red line for 2 line passes, I say no I metioned this in the other thread. Plus, the NHL doesn't need cherry pickers. It works internationaly but those are All-Star games, it wouldn't work in the NHL.

A suggestion I saw in some hockey magazine a month or so ago...

Widen the blue lines and red line from 6 inches to 6 feet (towards center). It increases the size of the zones by about six feet without increasing the size of the ice. Neutral zone is bigger so it reduces the number of two line offsides and increases the number of breakaways. Offensive zones are bigger so it gives them more room to work in and more ways of escaping defensive trap situations.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived