More CCSLC Logos Stolen!

Brass

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad form by this clown if he didn't get SyPhi's permission on it..

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Bad form by this clown if he didn't get SyPhi's permission on it..

Something tells me this clown and bad form have been friends since conception.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

This is a very interesting bit of conversation. My thoughts are, Syphi created nothing new and the logo isn't his. Using an existing duck head image and simply placing a shape behind it probably took him 5 minutes. So based on that how valid is the © information on the image. If I was a representative of the Ducks I might question Syphi and ask why he is placing © information on something that isn't his. That's like taking a story and just rewriting the last couple of pages and calling it my own story.

BUT I don't see any of this as a big deal since it's a concept and it's for a fantasy hockey league. Do any of use ask permission of the big clubs to place their logos on concepts or uni ideas? I say let it pass, the kid didn't market the image for profit.

just my $0.02...

spacer.png

FANTASY SPORTS: UBA (NBA): New York Scrapers | CL (MLB): St Pete Beach Clippers

the kid didn't market the image for profit.

I think that's key. There's nothing stopping anyone from taking an existing pro team's logo, jersey, wordmarks, etc. and painting it on your wall or making your own jersey to wear, or putting the images on your website. After all, sportslogos.net does the exact same thing and doesnt get permission from the NHL, MLB or any other league for the use of the logos. The key is that Chris isn't making money off of it AND he keeps copyright signs where they are supposed to be.

Nevertheless, I do agree its bad etiquette to not ask for permission when using a fellow board member's logos.

So does this mean that everyone on this board has to get permision to use trademarked logos as their avatars or signatures? I know there's quite a few members that have 3 or 4 trademarked logos as their signatures. What's the difference between that and using it as a logo for your fantasy team? They are both being used in basically the same context, an image to represent yourself on a webpage. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but if you think it's wrong than a bunch of people on this board are guilty of the same exact thing.

Exactly Meet, this is not a case of copyright infringment on the fantasy owners part. Syphi owns no rights to that logo. As discussed in my business law course, SyPhi simply improved an existing peice of work...that work belongs to the Mighty Ducks. So, if there is case for infringement it would be the Mighty Ducks v. SyPhi.

You guys are hilarious. Who's to say that he didn't get permission from the creator? Who's to say he didn't PAY for the use of the logo? You have NO idea. Call him guilty first, then figure out the actual facts later if you get around to it. Oh, and it's freaking FANTASY HOCKEY on a web page that was probably intended for himself and his 5 friends. Stop taking yourselves so damn seriously.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

Did SyPhi contact the Might Ducks? Not likely, so he "ass hat mooched" off the federally registered Ducks logo. Im not saying SyPhi is wrong, but I also believe that this guy has a right to an image, that for all intents and purposes, is registered fully under copyright law to the Anahiem Mighty Ducks.

Well then in that case you are "mooching" off the Flyers and Penn State. I doubt you got their permission either.

Actually, I have permission to use any Penn State mark as I am a student there and do design work for them. I display the Flyers logo in accordance with the "fair use" policy.

Stealing somebody's personal graphics is a different story.

But you are doing the exact same thing. There is no real Minnesota Mighty Ducks. He's got it displayed as his fantasy graphic. What I'm asking you is what's the difference between having it as a graphic for a fantasy sports website and as your avatar? It's the same exact thing.

The internet age has made really easy to "get stuff for free", and for some reason it seems to lead to folks rationalizing all kinds of things to excuse actions that are, by definition, simply wrong. "He didn't make money off it", "Its just a fantasy logo", "he stole it first so my stealing is exused", etc. etc. etc. Regardless, it is someone else's intellectual property we are talking about here, and I can almost guarantee its a lot more valuable to the artist then the one who takes it for a "worthless" use. Jeez, that's not only stealing, its insulting too.

LT

Actually, I have permission to use any Penn State mark as I am a student there and do design work for them. I display the Flyers logo in accordance with the "fair use" policy.

Stealing somebody's personal graphics is a different story.

Technically he is using SyPhi's image under Fair Use also. Considering the four points of fair use (Purpose and Character, Nature of the Copied Work, Amount and Sustainability, and Effect on Work's Value), a case against the person in question wouldn't stand, especially considering the purpose and character (The person in question, unless evidence is provided otherwise, has made no attempt to say the logo in question is their own design, and has in fact kept the copyright statement on the logo) and effect on the work's value clauses. Being a bit in bad taste by assuming he didn't ask SyPhi first before using the image (since we don't even know that)? Yeah. Enough to get your knickers in a twist because of "alleged" theft? Nope.

Easy there getting off your high horse there, mate, you may hurt yourself.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived