More CCSLC Logos Stolen!

Brass

It seems to me you people are getting all worked up over nothing. THis sounds like it is more about this guy not being apart of the sportslogo.net inner circle of elite than about a logo theft. Like someone else said if this is theft than anyone who has a pro logo as thier avatar or in their signature is guilty of the same crime. Difference is the others are a part of the sports logo elite.

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This board goes round and round with this issue. Look, there is the concept of fair use. There is also intellectual property rights. Although it would have been nice if SyPhi was asked, they are not obligated to. The Mighy Ducks own the design, plain and simple.

By the letter of the law, anyone using any protected graphic for any reason could be in violation of trademark law. However, the pro leagues are concerned with the use of vector graphics for merchandising. That doesn't make possession of vector logos illegal. And no, pantone colors for teams in and of themselves are not protected either.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

No, Syphi doesn't own the copyright to that image, but he still took the time to modify it to something of his design.

Vicfurth (I believe it is his work) has done the NFL helmets for the sportslogos site. He has taken the time to recreate the correct look for each NFL team for use on the sportslogos.net site.There is another site on the internet that has gone and copied those images and posted them on their site without asking anyone affiliated with Sportslogos.net.

Legally, there isn't anything that can be done, since the copyrights are property of the NFL teams. However, Vicfurth still took the time to render those images for use on this site, and someone has just gone and copied them and are using them for their own uses, paying no heed to those who worked to create those images.

It's not about the copyright, it's about the time taken the render the image. Someone is using something that took someone else time and effort and skill and gave nothing back (as far as we know). There is no respect. They didn't do any work to create the image, they didn't bother to try and learn how to make the image. They just took it

I love this board. Having a discussion where you argue about a guy stealing a logo but make it seem okay that the "designer" took a logo and placed a triangle behind it and called it his creation. I have talked to Si before so this isnt a knock on him, just cant have it both ways fellas.

Guess all those recoloring cant be used by anyone else either since they are original. Guess I can take the Yankees logo and throw a circle behond it, add an outline and I created it as long as I put a copyright symbol below.

The guy is not at fault in any way due to the fact the ducks logo in question is not SyPhi's creation, its property of the Mighty Ducks. The guy in question is using both Rampage and Ducks logo adherring to the "fair use" policy of both franchises and not for monetary gain.

Like I said cant have it both ways. But on this board you can.

also, does anyone in here even know what a copyright is? it is a right granted for something to be published or sold. this is for a league that does not make a profit. its not for a portfolio to gain work for a profit.

it

is

for

a

FANTASY

league!!!!

if anyone should be getting bitched at, it should be syphi. he is taking someones copyrighted logo, adding a shape behind it, and puting it on his portfolio with HIS copyright. its not his to manipulate and copyright as his.

footer_helmet.gif

Actually, I have permission to use any Penn State mark as I am a student there and do design work for them.

That means nothing. You have permission to use Penn Stae marks on items you design for them, but you don't have the express written consent to use Penn State graphics for whatever purpose you like. Working for a school or being a student there does not give you that permission.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

My student organization (that I founded) does indeed have the blessing of the Athletic Department to use Penn State athletic marks on anything from t-shirts and banners to newsletters and websites pertaining to the promotion and support of Penn State athletics. The marks were printed on most everything we put out and the Athletic Department had no problem with that whatsoever and let us have free reign with it.

Anyway, let's get back to the original topic of this thread... the use of SyPhi's Mighty Ducks concept by someone else.

How 'bout we just ban fantasy leagues altogether? I'm all for that.

how would this be fair to those already in leagues, I'm sure a proposal like this would be shot down quicker than caly pigeons in skeet shooting.

the use of SyPhi's Mighty Ducks concept by someone else.

you forgot to add "use of someone elses".. this would be inserted here...

the use of SyPhi's <use of someone elses> Mighty Ducks concept by someone else.

does no one here understand that putting a triangle behind a logo does not make it yours?

so what it all comes down to is that the fantasy league person is using syphi's triangle and someones duck logo.

footer_helmet.gif

I think that was a sarcastic comment.

The point is, there is no difference between the intellectual rights of a guy who came up with his own concepts for fun (even if it was just adding a triangle to it) or the rights of, say for the sake of argument, the NY Yankees. A lot of people on this board use logos all the time. There is absolutely no difference between that and what this guy did. The guy that designed the Yankees mark probably put in just as much, although probably more work than SiPhi. Why are his intellectual rights different than a guy who did some minor modifications. Would this argument be going on if the guy used the real Ducks logo? I don't get that. If you are going to take the protective stance, then take that stance for everybody.

you forgot to add "use of someone elses".. this would be inserted here...

the use of SyPhi's <use of someone elses> Mighty Ducks concept by someone else.

If you're trying to be accurate in your blatant sarcasm, I think you mean "SyPhi's concept of <someone else's> Mighty Ducks logo.".

Also, we could make a logo for him, but he has to ask first, and give the person who made it credit.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Boy, it really hit the fan on this one didn't it?

I'll try to keep this short....

1) Stealing IS wrong

2) If you want to use someone's logo, even if it's for a fantasy league, at least have the common courtesy to ask permission.

3) Is this guy making money from this stolen logo? No. Is anyone being hurt? No (well, SyPhi kind of took a slap in the face :blink: ) In the grand scheme of things, 50 years from now, will any of you remember this? (You answer)

I'm not making light of this situation, just trying to put it in perspective.

cfg.jpg41QN7ATP9VL._AA280_.jpg

Wow, I would hate to see some of you guys on the highway, going 54 in a 55 zone, while triple checking your tax forms and calling your wives so that she can check to make sure the "do not remove" labels are still attached to all the mattresses in the house.

As someone whose entire fantasy football league is made up of logos which are barely modified versions of the New Orleans Saints, Ottawa Renegades, a New Zealand Rugby team and the Green Arrow from DC Comics, I don't know if I am more like SyPhi (I did modify) or the guy you want to tar and feather.

I get it, stealing bad. Evildoers!! Working hard!! Hard work!!! Bad!!! but are you going to turn in the kid who paints a sloppy Reds logo on a piece of cardboard before heading out to the ballpark? Are we going to call the NFL every time someone on this board makes a lame new uniform concept for the KC Chiefs? You put an image on the web, it is out there, in public, and people will use it. If they use it to make money, of which you get none, that is a problem. If they steal it and use it for an ABA franchise, then you have a criminal case. But to rip a guy because he liked a logo he saw on the boards and used it for a fantasy league. A little harsh? At most he should ask SyPhi, and do we know that he didn't? What do you want him to do, send a check? Get real!

By the way, I invented and trademarked "LOL" so you can start sending me those checks for $0.02 per usage at any time.

So by peoples statements a logo I design can be taken, do some minor modifications (outlines, triangles) and become your logo to use as you please in yoru portfolio but If joe shmo takes my logo for fantasy purposes hes worse.

So by peoples statements a logo I design can be taken, do some minor modifications (outlines, triangles) and become your logo to use as you please in yoru portfolio but If joe shmo takes my logo for fantasy purposes hes worse.

You know, I think we agree we aren't talking criminal offenses here, but come on can't some common sense apply? How hard is it to just ask for permission? The PM button is right there! Now, I am not saavy in copyright law, but you can't exactly PM or email the marketing department of a professional team and expect to get a response. I am not saying any stealing isn't wrong, but in cases where its easy enough to get permission, why not be honorable and get it? Is it that hard to understand these days?

LT

Wow I have been coming to this site for close to 10 years and on the boards for about 4 or 5 and I must say they have really gone down hill.

This thread is ridiculous. No where on the Fantasy , yes FANTASY, hockey page does the guy "lay claim to" or "play the logo as his creation"

Sweet jesus this is a lame argument.

Instead of creating a whole thread, why not PM syphi and inform him that his logo was being used.

The title of this thread made me think someone's logo was being produced and sold unwillingly on ebay or an ABA team took someone's logo. That would would be a "STOLEN" logo in my mind.

fade.gif

Yeah you cant get the permission of a Major League Franchise but you also cant use their logo in your portfolio.

What the guy did is wrong yes, he could have PMmed SyPhi agreed its common sense but you guys are making it seem like he is so wrong when Sy Phi is so right. You can scold teh guy all you want and protect your buddy but look at this:

DucksComparison.jpg

Where does that logo become his to use as he wants, to say he designed it. If you think for one second making changes liek that gives you the right to use it as your own the design world is in trouble and so are these boards.

Yeah you cant get the permission of a Major League Franchise but you also cant use their logo in your portfolio.

What the guy did is wrong yes, he could have PMmed SyPhi agreed its common sense but you guys are making it seem like he is so wrong when Sy Phi is so right.  You can scold teh guy all you want and protect your buddy but look at this:

DucksComparison.jpg

Where does that logo become his to use as he wants, to say he designed it.  If you think for one second making changes liek that gives you the right to use it as your own the design world is in trouble and so are these boards.

Hey, don't worry, I am not playing favorites here. SyPhi's portfolio has a disclaimer about trademarked material he uses. I assume this is ethically sufficient, but if it isn't then he would be culpable too. In fact, maybe the fantasy leaguer got permission too for all I know. I can't judge any individuals, but I will stand by is the fact stealing intellectual property isn't cool. By the way, SyPhi is talented and helpful, but beyond that I don't know him from Adam.

LT

Archived