Veteran's day

vicfurth

Oh yes few too many recongize the Vets anymore, as Vetrans day Parade are being canclled every year due to lack of intrest.

Perhaps if everyone did have today off it would help everyone recongize it better.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Amen to that. Just to let you Americans know, we call it Remembrance Day! Many Canadians wear a poppy on our chests, over our hearts, in order for us to recognise the significance of what this day stands for!

I saw, I came, I left.

Amen to that. Just to let you Americans know, we call it Remembrance Day! Many Canadians wear a poppy on our chests, over our hearts, in order for us to recognise the significance of what this day stands for!

...and although I am unclear as to whether it is or isn't a statutory holiday, most people in Canada have today off.

And to all of the soldiers across North America who have fought for the freedom we enjoy today, I say "thank you".

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

No, today's isn't a statutory holiday here, just government has the day off.  Everything's open as if it were a normal day, just no mail, really.

I'm surprised the poppy thing hasn't been introduced to Americans yet, I just always assumed it was an international thing.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

It's here - it's just not as widespread as in Canada.  Various veterans groups "sell" plastic lapel poppies for donations.  You can usually find them in front of supermarkets and malls with their donation cans.  However, in recent years, the Salvation Army sets their bell ringers up right about the same time so I guess it's getting harder for the Vets to get any good floor space.  In any event, I'm very grateful to all of the vets and to the oft-forgotten civilian support corps for everything they have done to keep our nation free.  That goes the same for the veterans of other nations that have stood with us in our fights and during our times of need.  Thank you.

I saw Mike Keenan wearing a poppy during his last game as Panthers' head Coach in St Louis.  He's Canadian, I guess, but he still had to get it from somewhere.
Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

We do Poppys around Memorial Day I guess we have things changed up a bit.

You guys are always backwards :;):

Your humor is noted and appreciated, Chris, however you do somewhat indirectly raise an interesting point.  In the U.S. we make a bigger holiday out of honoring our war dead than we do the holiday dedicated to honoring those who served who remain among the living.  I'm sure this has more to do with Veterans' Day's proximity to the Thanksgiving holiday than it does with being some kind of diminution of the importance of our living veterans.

I know I am a day late but...

Anthem for Doomed Youth

By Wilfred Owen

What passing-bells for these who die as cattle?

Only the monstrous anger of the guns.

Only the stuttering rifles? rapid rattle

Can patter out their hasty orisons.

No mockeries for them: no prayers nor bells,

Nor any voice of mourning save the choirs,-

The shrill, demented choirs of wailing shells;

And bugles calling for them from sad shires.

What candles may be held to speed them all?

Not in the hands of boys, but in their eyes

Shall shine the glimmers of goodbyes.

The pallor of girls? brows shall be their pall;

Their flowers the tenderness of patient minds,

And Each slow dusk a drawing-down of blinds.

RIP to all those who have died for whichever country they were fighting for.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

just thought i would share this with you guys.... war sucks on any level, especially when families are involved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003....=GOOGLE

Yeah, George Bush should be put in Iraq, under the bombs he's dropping on civilians.

I supposed you ratehr have Saddam still committing mass murder Habsfannova?

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

I'd rather he have been stopped using non-violent methods, or if not, with the backing of the United Nations, an orginization that could provide better safeguards against the kind of atrocities that American planes committed.  And a better plan of diplomacy could have done wonders.  Remember, you didn't even let the inspectors finish.  You just brushed them aside like nothing.

Anyway, Bush alienated the world community, treated every other country like crap, and it makes me proud of my country that we did not participate.

The other stupid assumption was that the Iraqis would give up and fight WITH the US.  Think about it, would you want people from another country bossing you around?  The Russians fought for their county, even they were ruled by Stalin, and most detested him.

And, suuuuurrrreeeee, this was really for the people of Iraq. :P   It was for the Oil.  If it wasn't, where was the US in Rwanda?

Americans are a great people, and have done much for history.  It truly saddens me to state that the United States is the #1 threat to world peace now.

I'd rather he have been stopped using non-violent methods, or if not, with the backing of the United Nations, an orginization that could provide better safeguards against the kind of atrocities that American planes committed. And a better plan of diplomacy could have done wonders. Remember, you didn't even let the inspectors finish. You just brushed them aside like nothing.

Anyway, Bush alienated the world community, treated every other country like crap, and it makes me proud of my country that we did not participate.

The other stupid assumption was that the Iraqis would give up and fight WITH the US. Think about it, would you want people from another country bossing you around? The Russians fought for their county, even they were ruled by Stalin, and most detested him.

And, suuuuurrrreeeee, this was really for the people of Iraq. :P It was for the Oil. If it wasn't, where was the US in Rwanda?

Americans are a great people, and have done much for history. It truly saddens me to state that the United States is the #1 threat to world peace now.

The UN is a joke they give equal voice to evil dicatorrs. The UN is irrelevant they help nobody. They are run by a bunch of jelly spined Europeans, and 3rd World Communist. Saddam had 12 years to let inspectaors and he didn't. For once we have a preisdent that takes America role as a Super Power seriously.

If we allowed the UN to handle everything the Taliban would still be in Afganhanistan and Saddam will still be murdering his own people and Al Queda would have more power, by the fact we did nothing.

All of this idea of allowing dicatators to get away with their crimes and believing them at face value, should go back and look at Nevell Chamberlain. Thank god Bush is more Curchill then Chamberlian.

Chamberlain could have stopped Hittler he didn't, because he gave into his demands beliving the peace means teh absence of conflict.

We must learn from our mistakes or be forced to repeat them. These Arab terrorsit only understand one thing and that's force, if we back down and run they win, and they grow stronger.

Its not for Oil if it was for Oil we would have never give Kuwait their oil back, thats the go to line all left wingers use.

Secondly we are the US we have to be concerned about our own safety and our freedom. Who cares what the god dmaned French think. They were in bed with Saddam to begin with.

We have the British on our side the Itailian the Australians and many more. So to say we alineated the world is a joke.

France and Germany our concerned with forming the EU, which will make them a super power, and they want to control the world temselves. They will be a formidbale ally but they can not be trusted, they want to be the world's super power, and have the US have to listen to them.

ANd Finally how many troops have died 250? or something not to say it is not tragic, but this IS a WAR people die in war, and things are getting better. The area where all the attacks are is not that big the rest of the country is under our control.

If poeple are paitent with in a few montsh this will all be over, but we need to go and capture all the terrorist who attack us and that's what is gonan take a little while longer. But to think this will be over with no one dying or some more tragedies here and there need to come to the real world and out of the movies, this was never going to be wrapped up tidy in 2 hours.

The bottom line is it had to be done, and the world will be better place once Iraq is democtorized and rebuilt, and President Bush will be remebered as one of the gresats world leaders ever.

As for teh US being the threat to World Peace. We Did NOT Start this, but we wil finish it. THose who died on 9/11 will be avenged, and Muslim extremism must be defeated. Here, in Iraq, and Isreal.

IM not Jewish, but may Sharon and the rest of the Isaraleis continue to show strength and defeat the PLO, as far as Im concerned there is no need for a Palistain State, as long as tehy keep blowing up people for being Jewish.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Archived