1969 Padres Questions

Cianfrocco

I have run into a little roadblock on the MLB Uniforms Project.  This has always puzzled me for a while: what did the Padres wear in 1969?  In Okonen's book, there are three jerseys, it looks like two home whites, and a road tan/gray.  What I don't know is what's the difference between the two white jerseys?  The patches are the only things I can see, besides a little darker shade on one.  Of all the baseball cards I've seen, I have never seen any Padres jersey with the 1969 MLB patch, but I know that every team wore them.  Does anyone have any defintive info on this?  Picutres of game worn jerseys, action shots, anything will help.  Thanks!

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

• 3 weeks later...
I did get an email back from the Padres saying that they definately wore the MLB patch in their team photo, and the jersey they sent to Cooperstown had it, too.  They didn't really mention a second home jersey.  It looks like just the patches and stripes are different in the book, but it only shows the left sleeve, so I can't tell for sure.  I also need a decent picture of the patch, which I am pretty sure has something to do with a city of San Diego anniversary.  I could be wrong, though.
dbacks.gif mariners.gif

So much for 8-10 weeks!  I just got a response today that was basically more of the same.  The jersey that they have does have the MLB patch, and the guy who responded also looked up some pictures, but the "secondary" patch is only shown at a distance, so he couldn't really tell what it was.  He sugested contacting a San Diego newspaper or looking up their archives, which is what I just might have to do.
dbacks.gif mariners.gif

Looking at some of the old baseball card photos, the secondary patch looks like some form of the swinging friar logo.  What I can't tell is if there is some form of "inaugural season" designation or whether it is just the swinging friar on a circular patch.

• 11 months later...
In Okonen's book, there are three jerseys, it looks like two home whites, and a road tan/gray. What I don't know is what's the difference between the two white jerseys?

Hold on the horse, man. I have also that book. I watched the 1969 unis of the Friars and I found that the second 'white' uniform isn't too white. The color appears like a very light gray. And have a different patch in the left sleeve.

In Okonen's book, there are three jerseys, it looks like two home whites, and a road tan/gray. What I don't know is what's the difference between the two white jerseys?

Hold on the horse, man. I have also that book. I watched the 1969 unis of the Friars and I found that the second 'white' uniform isn't too white. The color appears like a very light gray. And have a different patch in the left sleeve.

You are right, the two home uniforms are slightly different colors.

nl_1969_sandiego.gif

As an update, I never real found a definitive answer to this.  I am espescially interested in the patch, but no luck so far.  As for the colors, the sketches in the Okonnen book aren't 100% accurate as far as colors.  The book even has a disclaimer saying that the printing process causes some colors to be distorted, so things look different even from one year to the next.
dbacks.gif mariners.gif

Archived