CCSLC Graphic Design Collective

gordie_delini

Dont they teach you all of this when you go to college ?? When i went on the tour the college im going too, they said they teach you everything on adobe, and how do use everything. Some people already have done that on there own lol.

4kv29i.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be very interested. Although we would need some agressive sales guys, unless Chris gets a lot of requests through the site alone.

As far as the enthusiasts on here, who aspire to be professional designers. I have seen a lot of kick ass concepts, but they really need to get Adobe Illustrator and some nice commercial fonts to take the next step.

If you are going to do this, you need to limit the numbers a bit. If you aren't good, you can't be in it. Having cool ideas isn't enough (in my opinion)

You have to trust each and every one of the people in the group. We're talking money, large sums of money. People are going to want to keep jobs they find to themselves...and there is NO way of stopping that. And if someone comes to you specifically, how hard will it be to pass the buck onto the rest of the group?

If you don't have Photoshop, Illustrator, AND InDesign/Quark, you can't do this. I'm sorry but Inkscape, pagemaker, paint, those are not production ready programs.

But beyond that, I'm not in. Conflict of interest.

If you are going to do this, you need to limit the numbers a bit. If you aren't good, you can't be in it. Having cool ideas isn't enough (in my opinion)

You have to trust each and every one of the people in the group. We're talking money, large sums of money. People are going to want to keep jobs they find to themselves...and there is NO way of stopping that. And if someone comes to you specifically, how hard will it be to pass the buck onto the rest of the group?

If you don't have Photoshop, Illustrator, AND InDesign/Quark, you can't do this. I'm sorry but Inkscape, pagemaker, paint, those are not production ready programs.

But beyond that, I'm not in. Conflict of interest.

yep.

If you are going to do this, you need to limit the numbers a bit.  If you aren't good, you can't be in it.  Having cool ideas isn't enough (in my opinion)

You have to trust each and every one of the people in the group.  We're talking money, large sums of money.  People are going to want to keep jobs they find to themselves...and there is NO way of stopping that.  And if someone comes to you specifically, how hard will it be to pass the buck onto the rest of the group?

If you don't have Photoshop, Illustrator, AND InDesign/Quark, you can't do this.  I'm sorry but Inkscape, pagemaker, paint, those are not production ready programs. 

But beyond that, I'm not in.  Conflict of interest.

yep.

the only reason I mentioned pagemaker is because I know for a fact that some customers like to have their logo on business cards, flyers, notepads and other forms of advertisements. I know that because I'm in the Graphics cluster @ my HS, where we also run a print shop. Now, I know a logo design company & a print shop are 2 different things but that can co-exist together.

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

If you are going to do this, you need to limit the numbers a bit.  If you aren't good, you can't be in it.  Having cool ideas isn't enough (in my opinion)

You have to trust each and every one of the people in the group.  We're talking money, large sums of money.  People are going to want to keep jobs they find to themselves...and there is NO way of stopping that.  And if someone comes to you specifically, how hard will it be to pass the buck onto the rest of the group?

If you don't have Photoshop, Illustrator, AND InDesign/Quark, you can't do this.  I'm sorry but Inkscape, pagemaker, paint, those are not production ready programs. 

yep.

aye

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

yep.

aye

baaaaaaaaa

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

yep.

the only reason I mentioned pagemaker is because I know for a fact that some customers like to have their logo on business cards, flyers, notepads and other forms of advertisements. I know that because I'm in the Graphics cluster @ my HS, where we also run a print shop. Now, I know a logo design company & a print shop are 2 different things but that can co-exist together.

Indesign/Quark is the good version of pagemaker.

What Paint is to Photoshop,

Pagemaker is to Indesign/Quark.

You won't find too many offset presses that'll be able to use Pagemaker is what I'm saying.

i am seeing too much bickering on here to really forsee a viable future for this endeavor. However, it's up to Chris as to how he wants to handle this.

It depends on who he gets for this, Bri. It's just like putting together a good sports team -- you need to assemble the best team, not just gather up a group of the best players and expect results.

Chris knows who the best artists, people, and potential professionals are in this community for this to work. Just because you say, "I'd love to get in on this," doesn't mean you will. This isn't a fantasy league, this is serious crap.

There will be those of us who are left out because of a lack of professionalism. Not only that, but I wouldn't want 15 year old kids dealing with a professional sports franchise on a business level.

philly.png

yep.

aye

baaaaaaaaa

You guys are sheep. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

i am seeing too much bickering on here to really forsee a viable future for this endeavor.  However, it's up to Chris as to how he wants to handle this.

It depends on who he gets for this, Bri. It's just like putting together a good sports team -- you need to assemble the best team, not just gather up a group of the best players and expect results.

Chris knows who the best artists, people, and potential professionals are in this community for this to work. Just because you say, "I'd love to get in on this," doesn't mean you will. This isn't a fantasy league, this is serious crap.

There will be those of us who are left out because of a lack of professionalism. Not only that, but I wouldn't want 15 year old kids dealing with a professional sports franchise on a business level.

That's true. I'll leave this up to the pros, but if you guys ever need an opinion on one of your creations before you unveil it, I'll be here.

yep.

aye

baaaaaaaaa

You guys are sheep. :P

To Jigga, the Black Sheep of Brilliams!

Welcome to DrunjFlix

So if I find a job for you to do, and pay you for it, you won't do it because of a conflict of interest?

I don't get it.

It could be that his current employer had him sign a contract stating that he would not freelance, because doing so would compete against his current employer. That would be a conflict of interest.

I know its wierd, and I don't know if thats his specific case, but it does happen.

What about a private forum that only those chosen to participate can view. you then have a small group to interact within the concept phase of the designing and there aren't the regular BS posts of well I got a better idea blah blah blah.

Like Chris said, the good ones here are obvious and what a tremendous resource for all of them to get together on serious, portfolio-worthy work.

I would simply name Chris as the Principal of the design group and he can determine a "Board" so to speak of those that would have final say on design issues after the collaboration is done.

I am a member of a designer message board that you had to submit portfolio samples to in order to belong.... the customers come the board admins and pay upfront.... the designers that create the identity or web project etc. that the client likes is the "winner" and gets a "cut" of the design fee.

This could also be a good way to work it... if 2-3-4 or more want to collaborate simply tell Chris and if their design wins then they spilt the winnings etc.

What about that kind of approach?

Archived