MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Brass

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yankees and Phillies have reached a tentative deal that would send Bobby Abreu and Cory Lidle to the Bronx in exchange for prospects.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2534459

It should be noted that none of the prospects are the Yankees top prospects in Philip Hughes and Eric Duncan. A good deal for the Yankees although I'm not to crazy about Abreu.

Good. I hope the Yankees enjoy a player who's been vastly underperforming all season and they enjoy his $37 million contract. Batting .277 with 8 home runs and 65 RBI in 99 games, not to mention Bernie Williams and later Gary Sheffield and Hideki Matsui competing for roster spots? This should be really fun to see.

Good. I hope the Yankees enjoy a player who's been vastly underperforming all season and they enjoy his $37 million contract. Batting .277 with 8 home runs and 65 RBI in 99 games, not to mention Bernie Williams and later Gary Sheffield and Hideki Matsui competing for roster spots? This should be really fun to see.

:cry: cry me a riverrrr

:cry: cry me a riverrrr

I'm crying of laughter.

No, I don't give a damn that you got him. Way to go. It's just that everyone seems to see a lot of value in a guy whose numbers that have been declining for a couple of years now. If anything, the acquisition was a steal for the Yankees since they got the Phillies to pitch in and pay to remove his no-trade clause while giving up a bunch of bumbling prospects in the process.

EDIT: I finally found the words to say what I wanted to say: it was a great acquisition, but the player in question (Abreu) isn't that good.

Maybe in NY where there are more stars to take away the pressure, he will be OK, but for the most part, Abreu is a lazy outfielder who can't handle pressure situations and shies(sp?) away from late-inning clutch situations.

He is an all-star when the score of the game is 11-3, but a minor-leaguer when it is 3-2. He may fit in with the Yankees, but he clearly isn't the type of player who you would want as part of your team's nucleus. Good riddance to a total bum. The "standing ovation" he got when the trade was announced was more about the fans cheering his leaving than celebrating his "stellar" career here.

Getting a team to take his full contract is awesome for the Phillies (as long as they use the money wisely.) Now if only we could ship off the other bum in the outfield, Burrell. (Thanks again, Ed Wade. Good luck getting another GM job, :censored:.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

From Peter Abraham of The Journal News:

"Abreu hasn't hit a home run since June 13 and he plays his home games in a Little League park. Why would the Yankees want this guy beyond this season? Under the new drug-testing rules, power statistics compiled in previous years are almost meaningless. I'm not suggesting Abreu did anything wrong. All I am saying is he has gone seven weeks without a homer."

Enjoy. :D

teams-1.png

Well in fairness, I don't think he was ever looked at as a "power" guy, more of an OBP and SB guy (which is why he would have been the perfect leadoff hitter, but he continuously refused despite Bowa and Uncle Charlie practically begging him.)

Instead, you have a middle of the order guy who can't drive in meaningful runs, and who steals (on his own, mind you) in the absolutely worst situations (late innings, Ryan Howard or Burrell at-bat, effectively taking the bat out of their hands by opening up first base.)

Things like that just pad his stats, making him a great fantasy player, but a lousy real player. It is really a shame, because he has as much natural talent as nearly anyone in MLB, he just will never realize his full potential because of his "laid back" (read - lazy ass) attitude.

I think the only reason he lasted as long as he did in Phila. was because he was Ed Wade's favorite son, because as long as he was around Ed could always point to one trade that worked out for him (and getting Bobby for Kevin Stocker was an awesome win for the Phillies.) Unfortunately, he was blinded by that fact, and when he started giving out no-trades and too much money, Bobby was right there with his hand out, despite not really accomplishing anything. Typical of the type of player the Phillies coveted during the Ed Wade era. No wonder Pat Gillick's first priority (well second, if you count re-signing Wagner) was getting rid of Abreu (and Burrell.) He finally succeeded. Now only if he could turn back time so we could somehow prevent the Ed Wade era from ever happening. Goddam that man was a lousy GM.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Honestly, if the Yankees don't win the whole World Series this year, then they suck! No questions asked!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

CF Johnny Damon

SS Derek Jeter

1B Jason Giambi

DH Gary Sheffield

RF Bobby Abreu

3B Alex Rodriguez

LF Hideki Matsui

C Jorge Posada

2B Robinson Cano

This is worth waiting a year.

Add in Bernie Williams on the bench along with Melky Caberera who has hit well since filling in time and they got a solid bench. If they get to the World Series they will have wither Sheffield of Abreu on the bench as well.

The big the in this deal IMO is Lidle who gives the Yankees what they need a starting pitcher who can eat innings. Best part is they gave practically nothing to get them.

They got Bobby Abreu, whose career achievement was the greatest Home Run Derby round in the history of man. More and more I think the Yankees are just picking up people just to be doing it. First Sidney Ponson, now this. Like I said, it's like covering a pothole with a board and calling it fixed. So yeah, good luck with that.

As for the Braves, aw man, gonna miss Betemit. But it's good to see that the Braves are trying to find some help in pitching, Lord knows we need it. (Went to the game today. It was 7-0 before I got to my seat...awesome <_< )

Archived