MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Brass

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Jayson Stark, the Red Sox and Roger Clemens were very close to a reunion. I'd been hearing a lot throughout the week that Clemens regretted signing with the Astros, but who knows if any of that is true. I'd love Clemens on the Red Sox, but I don't exactly feel bad that he didn't get moved to a contender because he had his chance earlier.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...yson&id=2535859

Multiple sources say it was a trade that could have been made, even as late as Monday afternoon. All Astros owner Drayton McLane would have had to do was say: "You know, it's the right thing to do."

IUe6Hvh.png

Why dont the Pirates trade away the whole :censored: team then!

We seriously need a GM who belives in spending money for talent. Im tired of thes stupid "prospects" who end up doing what? NOTHING!

Nah. The Pirates need an ownership group that understands that winning, above all else, would cure its ills.

When McClatchy came in I thought, "Cool. As a Pirate fan, I can't wait to see what Spanky McNewspaperbucks will do, especially with a new stadium." Now that I see it, I cringe every year around this time.

Jason Kendall? Gone.

Brian Giles? Gone.

Aramis Ramirez? Gone.

I was more than half-expecting Jason Bay to get shipped out this year. The Pirates have become a joke of a franchise, but don't blame the GM - in the Bucs case, ownership is ultimately responsible.

nav-logo.png

Reds pick up Ryan Franklin from the Phils for a player to be named later.

deal

I don't understand what the Reds are trying to do. They seem to be worse off now than they were before they started hoarding relievers. It was bad enough when they traded for the bums, but now they're picking up guys that have been DFAed.

Save the slugalo.

Wright is still having a fine year but Beltran has take the lead in the Mets team MVP with 3 Grand Slams in two weeks.

And because David Wright is on the Mets; Beltran should not win the NL award.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get this...I thought the trade deadline had passed. Was that for interleague trading or what? I was hearing all these things about, oh, the Red Sox didn't make a deal to counter the Abreau/Yankees trade, but yet two sum weeks later, they make a deal for Hinske?

The trade deadline isn't a hard deadline, it's just a deadline for non-waiver trades to take place. After that date a player must clear waivers before he can be traded.

Waivers are revokable, so if a player does get claimed, the team can take the player off of waivers and try again if they wish.

Save the slugalo.

both Jays trades break down like this-

Cincinnati receives Scott Schoeneweis and the Jays get a low level prospect or cash

Boston receives Eric Hinske and the Jays get a mid to low level prospect or cash

both trades were to dump salary for the off-season.

The Jays called up P Davis Romero and 3B John Hattig, Hattig sometime during the weekend will become the 1st person from Guam to play in the MLB.

8prlQWA.png

They better sign some good guys in the offseason. Because if they just dumped 2 players and got hardly anything back i'll be mad. Hopefully though with the extra money we might be able to sign Wells to a long term deal.

If Beltran leads in a major catagory like RBI why not(?) (The) Mets have best record in NL(,) (and) sometimes the MVP goes to the best player on the best team.

It's Most Valuable Player not Most Outstanding Player, not to say Beltran isn't valuable but there is someone more deserving. Adam Dunn. You yourself picked the Reds to go 62-100 and now they're only 2 1/2 games out of leading the NL Central. After last season I think most people could tell the Mets were going to go forward.

nyg1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifyankees4-sm.gifknicks-sm.gif

mysigdj9.png

If Beltran leads in a major catagory like RBI why not(?) (The) Mets have best record in NL(,) (and) sometimes the MVP goes to the best player on the best team.

It's Most Valuable Player not Most Outstanding Player, not to say Beltran isn't valuable but there is someone more deserving. Adam Dunn. You yourself picked the Reds to go 62-100 and now they're only 2 1/2 games out of leading the NL Central. After last season I think most people could tell the Mets were going to go forward.

It's not the "Most Valuable Player to his Team" award, either. I will admit that Dunn is the main reason the Reds are where they are an without him they'd be battleing with the Pirates. How-ev-a, If they replaced Dunn with a Carlos Beltran, Alfonso Soriano, Manny Ramírez, David Ortiz, Ryan Howard, or Albert Pujols they would be even better than they are now. That's what qualifies those players for MVP moreso than Adam Dunn.

The MVP should go to the best player. Now what makes one player the best is open for interpritation, but Beltran has a higher AVG, OB%, SLG%, and OPS, along with more runs, hits, doubles, triples, RBIs, and stolen bases, all the while having less strikeouts and 30 less ABs.

Save the slugalo.

It's not the "Most Valuable Player to his Team" award, either. I will admit that Dunn is the main reason the Reds are where they are an without him they'd be battleing with the Pirates. How-ev-a, If they replaced Dunn with a Carlos Beltran, Alfonso Soriano, Manny Ramírez, David Ortiz, Ryan Howard, or Albert Pujols they would be even better than they are now. That's what qualifies those players for MVP moreso than Adam Dunn.

The MVP should go to the best player. Now what makes one player the best is open for interpritation, but Beltran has a higher AVG, OB%, SLG%, and OPS, along with more runs, hits, doubles, triples, RBIs, and stolen bases, all the while having less strikeouts and 30 less ABs.

I didn't say Dunn was better than Beltran. But I think the MVP should go to the player who was most important to the team and it should also be based on how good the team was/is.

nyg1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifyankees4-sm.gifknicks-sm.gif

mysigdj9.png

Archived