Saskatoon blues

Starman

Does anyone have that picture of Wild Bill Hunter holding up that Saskatoon Blues jersey from 1983? Remember when Bill Hunter bought the Blues from Purina and was going to relocate them. They actual sold like 15,000 tickets in Saskatoon and everything. It was the NHL that shot the move down by a 13-3 margin. Does anyone have a picture of that?

No pic. I remember it, though.

That NHL veto was crrrap.

The veto was invoked because Ralston Purina did not go through the proper channels prior to marketing the team and the Saskatoon ownership group was not approved by the NHL Board of Governors prior to making the transaction. This was essentially an overnight, under-the-table deal that was cut because RP didn't think they had to follow the rules. The RP people tried to state that they were only supposed to be an interim owner - they swooped in with literally 11 minutes left on the clock before the NHL deadline that would have pulled the team's charter. This was in 1977. In 1983 RP basically said, "well, since nobody in St. Louis has stepped forward to buy the team in 5 years, we went ahead and sold it." Now the problem was that they never actually tried to market the team. Anheuser Busch had expressed some interest but decided against it when a plan to build a new downtown arena was quashed by the mayor who wanted to preserve the warehouse district (which took another 18 years to actually GET preserved). Nonetheless, rather than putting the team up for a "real" sale, they just announced the team was for sale and sold it to the first guy that approached them with the right price. They made no effort to find an ownership group to keep the team in town. For what it's worth, Ralston Purina has been a very bad corporate citizen in St. Louis and this fiasco is among their more visible PR blunders in the Gateway.

No pic. I remember it, though.

That NHL veto was crrrap.

The veto was invoked because Ralston Purina did not go through the proper channels prior to marketing the team and the Saskatoon ownership group was not approved by the NHL Board of Governors prior to making the transaction. This was essentially an overnight, under-the-table deal that was cut because RP didn't think they had to follow the rules. The RP people tried to state that they were only supposed to be an interim owner - they swooped in with literally 11 minutes left on the clock before the NHL deadline that would have pulled the team's charter. This was in 1977. In 1983 RP basically said, "well, since nobody in St. Louis has stepped forward to buy the team in 5 years, we went ahead and sold it." Now the problem was that they never actually tried to market the team. Anheuser Busch had expressed some interest but decided against it when a plan to build a new downtown arena was quashed by the mayor who wanted to preserve the warehouse district (which took another 18 years to actually GET preserved). Nonetheless, rather than putting the team up for a "real" sale, they just announced the team was for sale and sold it to the first guy that approached them with the right price. They made no effort to find an ownership group to keep the team in town. For what it's worth, Ralston Purina has been a very bad corporate citizen in St. Louis and this fiasco is among their more visible PR blunders in the Gateway.

I understand completely the NHL's reasons for vetoing the franchise.  It was a legitimate reason, and St. Louis should NOT be without an NHL team.  They were the toast of expansion in the 60s.  But, as a Saskatchewanite, it was crrrap.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Anyone else have a pic? It's only from 20 years ago so it shouldn't be to hard to find. Anyway, when Bill Hunter died, I heard that the Saskatoon Blades wore a special "Saskatoon Blues" jersey for one game only to honour him. Has anyone seen that and if so how did it look? I E-Mailed the team but was ignored :angry:

The Blades wore the special "Blues" jerseys on October 20, 1999.  I dunno if that helps, or why I remember that.  Good luck.
Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

I did see it, yes...but I really can't remember it. I do remember it being very similar to what the Blades were already wearing. I didn't think much of it at the time. I'll see if I can find anything on it.  There was no difference in colours.
Spoiler

Archived