Mets to Wear '86 Uniforms on Friday Night!

benJAMMIN039

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
they should just go ahead and adopt these for the playoffs...maybe it will be a repeat of 20 years ago.

Why go with those when you have those beautiful black jerseys on the hangars?

Sarcasm aside, no way they'd be allowed to do it, though I wouldn't mind...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Wow. They should make those button down, drop the collar trim and underarm trim, and return to those.

Orange and blue look sharp together!

They did and it didnt look so good in 1991 and 1992

VColemanMets.jpg

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Vince "Firecracker" Coleman. Now there's a blast from the past. Those were bad but the set in I want to say 93 was worse when they put the tail and underscore coming from the S in Mets.

I heard on the Radiocast today they will wear it all three games, which is sweet im going Saturday :D

I would be surprised if that happened. The MLB rule is that a throwback jersey can only be worn once per series, or so I was told by the White Sox' head of marketing. Maybe they will wear the jersey three times, but it won't be in the same series.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Just hope they remember to NOT wear the black hats...it's the Mets though, so I expect them to screw something up...like not wearing a hat with a blue button but staying lazy and keeping the orange one that they now have...

I'm sure they won't wear the correct caps.

But then, that's something that maybe a dozen people would actually notice. And we're all here.... :P

Good for the Mets -- it'll be a great boost of nostalgia. However, they shouldn't drop the current set for the '86 throwbacks. What they should do is drop all of the damn black and wha-la. Perfect set.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I heard on the Radiocast today they will wear it all three games, which is sweet im going Saturday  :D

I would be surprised if that happened. The MLB rule is that a throwback jersey can only be worn once per series, or so I was told by the White Sox' head of marketing. Maybe they will wear the jersey three times, but it won't be in the same series.

Must be a recent rule, because the Phillies and Pirates did the throwback thing for a whole series in '03. I think they did it with the Orioles too within the past few seasons.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've never heard that rule either. The Braves wore throwbacks for a lot of the '04 season.

BTW, they will be wearing the '86 jerseys on Saturday...

FLUSHING, N.Y. -- The New York Mets today announced that Darryl Strawberry, Gary Carter, Keith Hernandez, Mookie Wilson, Lenny Dykstra, Howard Johnson, Ron Darling, Jesse Orosco, and other members of the 1986 World Champion Mets are scheduled to participate in an on-field reunion Saturday, August 19 at Shea Stadium to commemorate the 20th anniversary of their World Series title. The 2006 Mets will pay tribute to the 20th anniversary by donning replicas of their 1986 uniforms. The first 25,000 fans in attendance will receive a commemorative Topps 1986 Baseball Card Pack featuring stars from the 1986 team courtesy of Hyundai.

God, I WISH I was goign to be in NY this weekend (it's not often I say that) because I would LOVE to be at that game. A guy I work with is going then (we're in Buffalo, so it's not like we can just go to a game in NYC whenever we want) and now I'm totally jealous.

1986 was probably the beginning of my love affair with MLB. The 86 world series is the first time I remember actually paying attention to MLB. Before that, baseball was the sport I played badly in the local park league. But the 86 Mets really captured my attention, and I started staying up later than my parents knew (thank you, tiny bedroom TV with a mute button) to watch the end of the games. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the Mets because of that series. I may have adopted the Indians as my team when I lived in Cleveland, but the 86 Mets will always be the first baseball team I CARED about. I would love to be able to see them don those unis again.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

What they should do is drop all of the damn black and wha-la. Perfect set.
Nail on the head. Next year will be the 10th they've had black...and thats 10 too many.

I doubt the Rockies wear 86 throwbacks themselves for the game. (They came into existance in 93 for those who don't know), but I would hope they wear their regular roads, and not the quasi-futuristic black vest. I think their primaries are very underrated, and it would suck if they didn't wear them on Saturday.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Does that Reyes jersey have a nameplate on it??? I can't really tell, but if so, there is the inaccuracy we would have been looking for on these throwbacks.

Yes that does indeed look like a nameplate.

Archived