MLS 2007 Uni Changes

AJM

I found a couple pics of new MLS kits for 2007 floating around on the net and a few have also been posted on BigSoccer. May have seen them, but if not...enjoy. If anyone finds any others...post 'em here.

First up...RBNY

jersey-home.jpg

jersey-away.jpg

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PAAAAAHKHIFEHGEH.jpgPAAAIAEOOHGPHGEH.jpg

Been posted a few times, but...

n2273022891673673118xl1.jpg

...and from an Adidas display (sorry pics are so large).

100_0778.jpg

100_0780.jpg

100_0776.jpg

Done.

I thought they were getting sponsors on the jerseys this year. What happened with that?

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

Another one that's been up, but in case you missed it...RSL has a new jersey and has already picked Xango (juices) as a sponsor. Xango has a few pics on the site with players wearing the complete uni combos at an unveiling.

ETTjHIqO.jpg

Some of the kits and for that matter, the team names are just awful. All the FCs and Reals are just as bad as the Toronton Metros-Croatia nack in the old NASL days. In fact, some of the NASL teams had some great nicknames and uniforms. The Chicago Sting was a classic as was the Navy/gold or green/white Cosmos kits. The Baltimore Bays, the Boston Minutemen, the Atlanta Apollos, the Houston Hurricane, the Miami Toros, the Tampa Bay Rowdies . . . The Red Bull? Gimme a break.

Some of the kits and for that matter, the team names are just awful. All the FCs and Reals are just as bad as the Toronton Metros-Croatia nack in the old NASL days. In fact, some of the NASL teams had some great nicknames and uniforms. The Chicago Sting was a classic as was the Navy/gold or green/white Cosmos kits. The Baltimore Bays, the Boston Minutemen, the Atlanta Apollos, the Houston Hurricane, the Miami Toros, the Tampa Bay Rowdies . . . The Red Bull? Gimme a break.

For the sake of contrast, I must also remind you of the Jacksonville Tea Men.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And perhaps the best team name in all of sports is in the MLS (even if its singular)

The Chicago Fire

What should the MLS do? They get bashed here for Americanizing the sport too much...they wrongly tried to go after the non-soccer fan at the start. Then, realizing their mistake, they started marketing to soccer fans. They justified the league with team names and logos that soccer fans would be familiar with. But lets bash them for that too!

I'll never understand the outright hatred for a league you don't ever have to see unless you want to.

Chicago defintely has one of the better names out there. I'm intersted to see what name Clevleand comes up with if MLS selects them next season. Of course I still think Columbus Crew is the best for an origional name and logo

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Is there a list of the sponsors or what companies are vying for the spots?

I wouldn't think there would be any specific list of possible sponsors. It's up to each team to negotiate their own deal. I'd guess it's a good likelihood that teams would end up with sponsors that are either based around their market area or have a signficant presence there, though that's a guess.

That's what happened with Real Salt Lake, who went with XanGo, a Utah-based company.

So basically Galaxy will take over Colorado's old colors. I liked their green and yellow. Shame they feel they have to change it. Clubs do change colors from time to time, but the reason is one of the dumbest I've heard in a long while.

Tim Leiweke: "The last time I checked, when you're looking at a Galaxy it's not green or yellow. It's either black or dark blue."

Alexi Lalas: "When I think of the Galaxy I think of dark blue."

Black or dark blue? I'm no astronomer (and I'm pretty sure Leiweke and Lalas aren't either), but if galaxies were black or dark blue, we would hardly be able to see them. Go look at some of the photos of galaxies taken by the Hubble telescope at hubblesite.org. Granted they are taken in a number of different light wavelengths (visible, infrared, etc.) but they are full of many colors.

And anyway, since when does a club's color scheme have to match their name? The last time I checked, stars aren't green and gold (Dallas). When I think of hurricanes, I don't think of orange and green (U. of Miami). Where is the purple on the sun (Phoenix)?

Oh well, whatever. If you believe the mainstream American sports media, nobody knows there is a team in L.A. called Galaxy anyway.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

I'm of two minds on this.

On the one hand, I wouldn't miss the Galaxy color scheme. And with the Rapids changing, there's an opportunity.

On the other, one of the things I love about European teams (and college sports) is that they never change their colors. They change the uniforms, they change the logos, but the colors endure.

Archived