Chicago Bears font

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dpnation

dpnation

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted January 23, 2007 - 16:26

I was just wondering if anyone knew what font da Bears use - if it's custom or what. Also, are the numbers the same font as the lettering? (I'm particularly interested in the lettering)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 JQK

JQK
  • Over There...

• Members
  • 10,726 posts

• Favourite Logos:‍‎ 
      Chicago Black Hawks
      New Jersey Devils
      Hartford Whalers
      Hershey Bears (2012)

Posted January 23, 2007 - 16:44

Incised901 Nd BT

#3 iowahoo

iowahoo

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted January 23, 2007 - 16:58

Is the font they use in the end zones now the same as the 'old' Soldier Field? Currently it is CHICAGO and BEARS, but at the old SF it was Chicago and Bears, right? Just wondering if they currently use the same font, just have the caps lock on . . .
Posted Image

#4 meetthemets

meetthemets

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted January 23, 2007 - 17:13

Is the font they use in the end zones now the same as the 'old' Soldier Field? Currently it is CHICAGO and BEARS, but at the old SF it was Chicago and Bears, right? Just wondering if they currently use the same font, just have the caps lock on . . .

Same font. Might have been "Regular" but the same font family.

#5 TCR

TCR
  • Needs Stripes

• Banned
  • 4,150 posts

Posted January 23, 2007 - 17:58

No, the old endzones just said "Chicago," and I think it was a different font.
English uses the possessive clitic -'s to mark possession. When it is used after a plural noun ending in -s it is reduced to an apostrophe ('). Thus, bus's means 'that which belongs to a bus', but buses' means 'that which belongs to a number of buses'. However, traditionally, certain classical, but not modern, names that end in -s also use the apostrophe-only clitic to mark the possessive. This is the case with Jesus, where the possessive is Jesus'. The two words, with and without an apostrophe, are pronounced exactly the same. Only the context determines whether the possessive is being used or not in speech. However, Jesus's, the form that would be dictated by strict application of the standard rule, is also seen today.

If it is ever needed, the plural (belonging to a number of Jesuses) would be Jesuses'.

#6 slapshot

slapshot
  • Overweight Samurai

• Super Mod
  • 13,731 posts

Posted January 23, 2007 - 19:22

I was just wondering if anyone knew what font da Bears use - if it's custom or what. Also, are the numbers the same font as the lettering? (I'm particularly interested in the lettering)

London Black, designed by Dennis Ortiz-Lopez.

http://ortiz-lopez.com/OLF27.html

The numbers are not the same font as the wordmark. They are used exclusively by the Chicago Bears.
CCSLC Post of the Day, June 12, 2013

So I'm bi.

So, you like the Canadiens AND the Maple Leafs?
:P

#7 speedo

speedo

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted January 23, 2007 - 19:30

I think it was a different font. Both end zones said "Chicago" and if memory serves me right, "Chicago" was in lower case...
"Old folks"

Posted Image

#8 pcgd

pcgd

• Members
  • 7,273 posts

Posted January 23, 2007 - 19:33

The numbers are not the same font as the wordmark. They are used exclusively by the Chicago Bears.

You'd be right on this, but aren't the Bengal's numbers pretty much exactly like the Bears numbers now?

#9 TCR

TCR
  • Needs Stripes

• Banned
  • 4,150 posts

Posted January 23, 2007 - 19:39

They're drop-shadowed and a little thicker, but they're pretty close, yeah.
Posted Image
Other than the 1 and 2, it just looks like a bolder version of the Bears, once you strip away the drop-shadows and stuff.
English uses the possessive clitic -'s to mark possession. When it is used after a plural noun ending in -s it is reduced to an apostrophe ('). Thus, bus's means 'that which belongs to a bus', but buses' means 'that which belongs to a number of buses'. However, traditionally, certain classical, but not modern, names that end in -s also use the apostrophe-only clitic to mark the possessive. This is the case with Jesus, where the possessive is Jesus'. The two words, with and without an apostrophe, are pronounced exactly the same. Only the context determines whether the possessive is being used or not in speech. However, Jesus's, the form that would be dictated by strict application of the standard rule, is also seen today.

If it is ever needed, the plural (belonging to a number of Jesuses) would be Jesuses'.

#10 pcgd

pcgd

• Members
  • 7,273 posts

Posted January 23, 2007 - 19:41

They're drop-shadowed and a little thicker, but they're pretty close, yeah.
Posted Image
Other than the 1 and 2, it just looks like a bolder version of the Bears, once you strip away the drop-shadows and stuff.

7 is pretty different as well. I think that's enough of a difference to call it different.

Sorry to interupt...nothing to see here...nothing to see....

#11 TCR

TCR
  • Needs Stripes

• Banned
  • 4,150 posts

Posted January 23, 2007 - 19:43

Oops, missed the 7. Sorry.

A Bears joke: Why was 6 afraid of 7? Because 7 was George Halas. Hahaha. I slay me.

#12 slapshot

slapshot
  • Overweight Samurai

• Super Mod
  • 13,731 posts

Posted January 23, 2007 - 19:47

Common misconception.

The Bengals' numbers (and nameplate font) are a modified form of Din Engschrift, not the same as the Bears' font.

http://www.myfonts.c...gschrift/din-d/
CCSLC Post of the Day, June 12, 2013

So I'm bi.

So, you like the Canadiens AND the Maple Leafs?
:P

#13 eriqjaffe

eriqjaffe
  • The link is in my sig.

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted January 24, 2007 - 11:58

Both the Bears & Bengals numbering fonts are available in the link in my sig, y'know.
Posted ImagePosted Image
I'm the guy that made those fonts.

#14 meetthemets

meetthemets

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted January 24, 2007 - 12:54

That font is almost the same as a Futura Black Extended.

#15 Discrimihater

Discrimihater
  • no battle, no victory

• Members
  • 8,809 posts

• Favourite Logos:Philadelphia Eagles
      Seattle Mariners
      Cubs "Cuba" script
      Fremantle Dockers

Posted January 24, 2007 - 16:01

"old" Soldier Field's endzone font...heh, it looked similar to Century Gothic, but the a (and probably the g) was different. as mentioned, both endzones had the Bears helmet, then Chicago and after that either the NFC N or NFL shield. when the Bears played on astroturf, Chicago was in white trimmed in orange, but when they went back to grass, this was inverted to orange trimmed in white. Mid 90s, though, the Chicago lettering was replaced by a script Bears (and the midfield C by the Ditka-era bear head), though this only lasted about 2-3 years.
Heh, I have the same problem with the current Bears endzones that I do with Notre Dame's current numbers, the old Chicago endzones had a certain character the new ones lack; just as the Champion numbers have an innate quality about them that regular block numbers will simply never duplicate on ND's jersey. Heck, even the script Bears endzones exuded a little somethin more than the current ones do.

14bannersig3.png

14bannersig4.png

sig key: solid star=one title, beveled star=five titles

Discrim Athletic Tees - Discrim @ Blogspot

#16 TheOldRoman

TheOldRoman
  • Oh, you didn't know?

• Members
  • 4,772 posts

Posted January 24, 2007 - 21:42

"old" Soldier Field's endzone font...heh, it looked similar to Century Gothic, but the a (and probably the g) was different. as mentioned, both endzones had the Bears helmet, then Chicago and after that either the NFC N or NFL shield. when the Bears played on astroturf, Chicago was in white trimmed in orange, but when they went back to grass, this was inverted to orange trimmed in white. Mid 90s, though, the Chicago lettering was replaced by a script Bears (and the midfield C by the Ditka-era bear head), though this only lasted about 2-3 years.
Heh, I have the same problem with the current Bears endzones that I do with Notre Dame's current numbers, the old Chicago endzones had a certain character the new ones lack; just as the Champion numbers have an innate quality about them that regular block numbers will simply never duplicate on ND's jersey. Heck, even the script Bears endzones exuded a little somethin more than the current ones do.

I agree on all accounts. And the script endzones were used only in 1995. They sucked.
Posted Image

#17 tulanebc

tulanebc

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted February 3, 2007 - 03:33

The old Soldier Field endzone font used for the Bears was, I believe, a variation of Blue Highway. It pretty much is the same font that you see on Interstate highway control city signs (the big green things you see hanging over highways). I hope I'm right, and I hope I helped.
Posted Image

If you inherit Randy Johnson's facial genes, he owes you $97,000 at the very least.