New logo for Chargers, Dolphins & NFL shield "refined"?

StefOn

The NFL logo is an absolute classic. Its been the one constant since the days of Pete Rozelle and such. Modifying it at all seems like a big mistake to me.

I'm not really into the idea of tweaking the NFL logo either. :mad:

If this work is being done by the same guy who did this years Super Bowl logo, I'm definitely not optimistic. It is awful; among the worst executed SB logos of the last 20 years. Look at that football. That's akin to a 7th grade notebook doodle.

It's a really stupid idea. I mean, the NFL logo is instantly recognizable. And until it was mentioned, I never really cared that the font looked dated. Gave it a look of distinction, IMO.

Now, expect some cookiecutter P.O.S. logo, akin to what we usually get with recent Superbowl logos. Color me excited.

The original NHL logo had been around since 1917, 43 years before the current NFL logo made an appearance. Yet the NHL logo was changed.

Point being, if a league shield that had been around since its league's foundation could be changed, then a shield that only made its first appearance for its league in 1960 is certainly not above being changed.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the NFL didn't become the NFL as we know it until around the mid 60's. So this logo has been around as long as the league has been truely big.

And the NHL's orange and black logo had been around as long as the league had been around. Difference was, the NHL's shield dated back to 1917. The NFL shield only dates back to 1960.

The NHL shield was changed in 2005. That means that the NHL decided to change a shield that had been in use for 88 years.

As of now the NFL shield has been around 47 years. If an 88 year old league logo can be changed, then so can a 47 year old one.

*EDIT*

Now that I think about it, this might be the perfect opportunity for the NFL to adopt their wicked NFL Network logo as the new league logo. I know the same "dated" typeface may be used, but overall it's just a much better logo then the traditional shield.

NFLNetwork.png

It seems that a majority of people (including me) want the Chargers to change to baby blue, but Chargers' ownership has always been against the idea. I would like to see the lightning bolt turn yellow again, outlined in white: 1985 Helmet. I've never liked the white lightning bolt.

Today's Dolphin looks fat and too cartoonish. I liked the thinner '70s & '80s Dolphin.

The Swamp Yankee and Icecap79 are talking about two different things. The Swamp Yankee says that the NFL shouldn't change their logo. I agree. Icecap79 says that the NFL could change their logo. I agree with that as well, although though that scares me that the shiny pylon guy is in charge of all of this.

heh, the old Dolphin always looked like a blob to me, I like the newer Dolphin far more than I ever did the old one. and I figure the Chargers could easily adopt powder blue while keeping navy around (for instance, a concept Cole posted a few years back when a lot of us still split time between here and Fanhome did this beautifully), as well as use the horse/shield logo more than they do.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

And the NHL's orange and black logo had been around as long as the league had been around. Difference was, the NHL's shield dated back to 1917. The NFL shield only dates back to 1960.

The NHL shield was changed in 2005. That means that the NHL decided to change a shield that had been in use for 88 years.

As of now the NFL shield has been around 47 years. If an 88 year old league logo can be changed, then so can a 47 year old one.

Yeah, but just because one league changed its shield doesn't make it okay for another to. The NFL doesn't fail at marketing like the NHL does.

But the NFL didn't become the NFL as we know it until around the mid 60's. So this logo has been around as long as the league has been truely big.

The NFL doesn't have to promote some sort of 'new product', which is what the NHL was doing. The NHL's survival didn't necessarily depend on them changing their logo, but it did/does depend on drawing people into the game by showing a change in rules, and a change in logo was a good way of showing change throughout the entire league. The NFL is hardly in a similar position.

As far as the NFL's logo changing, I'm undecided. I wouldn't mind a UPS style update... but not by the guy who created the Super Bowl XLI logo. It's a great, iconic logo, but I don't know that it's not untouchable.

IUe6Hvh.png

The Swamp Yankee and Icecap79 are talking about two different things. The Swamp Yankee says that the NFL shouldn't change their logo. I agree. Icecap79 says that the NFL could change their logo. I agree with that as well, although though that scares me that the shiny pylon guy is in charge of all of this.

The NFL doesn't have to promote some sort of 'new product', which is what the NHL was doing. The NHL's survival didn't necessarily depend on them changing their logo, but it did/does depend on drawing people into the game by showing a change in rules, and a change in logo was a good way of showing change throughout the entire league. The NFL is hardly in a similar position.

As far as the NFL's logo changing, I'm undecided. I wouldn't mind a UPS style update... but not by the guy who created the Super Bowl XLI logo. It's a great, iconic logo, but I don't know that it's not untouchable.

I agree. brianmungai was right. I'm not saying the NFL should change their logo (all though I wouldn't mind the NFL Network logo taking its place), I'm simply saying the precedent of not changing long standing league shields went by the wayside when the NHL changed theirs. Now that the NHL shield has been changed the NFL logo's "untouchable" status is gone.

As a Dolphins fan for the past 15 years, i'm not too fond of the team logo change but then again I've grown to like the new Broncos logo.

The Chargers impending logo change has been overdue. not that I hate their current uniform but I would like the Chargers to bring back the uniform from the Dan Fouts ERA. I'd used it while playing Madden and it's look great.

The only way that I would accept the new NFL logo is that if they used the NFL network logo.

And what about the Saints. I'd heard that they're changing their helmets color from gold to black.

I'd like to see something like this for the Chargers incorporated:

SanDiegoChargers11.GIF

I couldn't agree more.

i'm completely on the fence with the powder blue though ... half of me absolutely loves it ... the other half sees it as a rather dated look, and only really cool for that reason. plus it doesnt help that powder blue and gold are apparently the cool colors to be these last 2 years, making them less ownable for the chargers.

I'd like to see something like this for the Chargers incorporated:

SanDiegoChargers11.GIF

I couldn't agree more.

i'm completely on the fence with the powder blue though ... half of me absolutely loves it ... the other half sees it as a rather dated look, and only really cool for that reason. plus it doesnt help that powder blue and gold are apparently the cool colors to be these last 2 years, making them less ownable for the chargers.

I love that logo for the Chargers. They should make it the primary mark, slap it on the 50 yard line, and use it on the front of the jersey like the Saints, Steelers, and Jets use their logos.

As for the powder blue, I love it, but I'm starting to think it might be best to keep it as a two times a year alternate. That said, the current navy set won't work. They need to switch the yellow and white around.

Just a question: Before this news came out, did anyone think the NFL logo actually needed updating? It seems like many of your are okay with the NFL updating for updating's sake.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Just a question: Before this news came out, did anyone think the NFL logo actually needed updating? It seems like many of your are okay with the NFL updating for updating's sake.

I can't speak for everyone, but personally I wanted to see the NFL shield replaced as soon as they unveiled the NFL Network logo.

The Dolphins current logo is perfect, as is. A beautiful update of the team's original mark.

I agree that the logo, itself, is an improvement. That being said, the uniforms are horible. Leave the dark blue to the shadow of the dolphin and keep it off the uniform numerals and stripes.

I love the letterforms of the current NFL logo and would absolutely hate to see those go ( they look even more gorgeous when taken out of context of the shield shape (like in the NFL network logo). if anything ... i hope its just a slight reworking. my tasklist if redesigning this guy would be:

- keep the concept (ie, shield with stars and ball on blue, and red NFL)

- keep the letterforms

- keep the color composition (addition of silver is acceptable, but the amounts and general locations of red white and blue should remain similar)

- rework the shield shape (maybe something to fit a bit more naturally within the EQUIPMENT logo, as thats used everywhere and looks quite right on the jerseys)

nflequipmentlogo.jpg

- rework the stars and football so they fit a bit nicer together (correct outlines and partial stars)

- no 3Ding

thats really it ... i love SB34 logo, but the 3Ding isnt right for a league logo, it dates it too much.

Here's what I think:

1. Keep the current Dolphins logo but revert to the colour scheme of the early 80s

2. Go RETRO with the Chargers. I'd like to see the shield Logo as a primary and the lightning bolt still used on the helmets. Go back to the powder blues or a variation of the Dan Fouts late 70s/early 80s era.

3. DON'T CHANGE THE NFL LOGO FOR PETE'S SAKE!

Yeah, but just because one league changed its shield doesn't make it okay for another to. The NFL doesn't fail at marketing like the NHL does.

Exactly.

The NFL is the best-run league in the country, in terms of building its product. The NHL is the absolute worst, hands down. Only the XFL was more ineptly handled than the NHL of the last decade.

There's nothing that the NFL can learn from the NHL except failure. Watch the NHL carefully, then do the opposite.

I think the NFL shield is perfect as it is and that they should never change it. Out of all the major sports logos the NFL's is the best.

The Dolphin's logo and jerseys are great and they should not change them.

The Chargers logo and jerseys are alright and I wouldn't mind a change. I would welcome a return to powder blue

Archived