Rays seem ready to dump Devil

Survival79

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o really i always thought they were called the devils cause new jersey is hell

Hilarious coming from a 15 year old.. :rolleyes:

I like how people actually got a team to drop "Devil" out of their name, yet there's still teams called "Braves" with a tomahawk, and "Indians"...in the same league.

I don't think they're dropping it because of the political ramifications, but more because they want a new identity and have decided that "Rays" is better than anything else. Offensive or not, "Devil Rays" is just a really really stupid name.

As for the native American issue in the pros, it's always been my opinion that while Indians and (especially) Redskins are pretty offensive, Braves and Chiefs really arent.

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

Stingrays isn't an option, apparently.

I wish they would just pony up and pay Hawaii Winter Baseball for the rights to Stingrays.

I'm still holding out hope that Todd Radom will have something to do with all of this...

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

I wish they would just pony up and pay Hawaii Winter Baseball for the rights to Stingrays.

I'm still holding out hope that Todd Radom will have something to do with all of this...

I just checked the Hawaii Winter League site and it looks like the Stingrays team did not play this season, maybe something could be worked out...

I just checked the Hawaii Winter League site and it looks like the Stingrays team did not play this season, maybe something could be worked out...

Like moving the franchise to Tampa, and giving the area a competitive team?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

here's a quick Paint mockup of possible colors; I actually used 3 colors from the original rainbow gradient uniforms

Raysscripts.png

I was skeptical when I heard this, but looking at Astro's work, any or all of those combos would turn out really, really well. I was one of the ones also hoping for royal blue and gold like the old Mariners or Brewers, but I'd take any of these over that without a 2nd thought.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

"Heck, three-syllable team names are usually too much for fans. "Rays" isn't much of a team name, but it's certainly more sensible than "Devil Rays" or "Manta Rays" or any other two-word appellation."

That makes no sense. Devil Rays os better than rays. A devil ray IS a real fish. What is not sensible about it? And three syllable names are too much for fans? What??????

Ma-ple-leafs

Ca-na-di-ens

Maybe Canadian fans are smarter than we are. Then again, that means that Philly fans are smarter than anyone. Sev-en-ty-six-ers.

"Heck, three-syllable team names are usually too much for fans. "Rays" isn't much of a team name, but it's certainly more sensible than "Devil Rays" or "Manta Rays" or any other two-word appellation."

That makes no sense. Devil Rays os better than rays. A devil ray IS a real fish. What is not sensible about it? And three syllable names are too much for fans? What??????

Somebody can't detect sarcasm...

BTW...For-ty Nin-ers :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Seems to me the Devil Rays have two problems:

1, The name of the critter. More people identify that critter as a manta ray or stingray than devil ray. Stingrays would be the ideal name if you went with it.

2, The shape of the critter. It looks more like a blob than anything. Doesn't look fearsome. Doesn't fit well on a baseball uniforms.

Judging by those two, I think the organization should scrap Devil Rays or Rays and come up with a totally new nickname. And it's not as if people in the Tampa Bay area are going to miss the nickname, anyway, considering the, ahem, storied history of the franchise.

Like moving the franchise to Tampa, and giving the area a competitive team?

I'm not among those who would argue that Tampa's team has been anything but awful during its first decade of existence, but I wish fans would get to the point where they stop blaming the city, the stadium, or the nickname for the team's woes.

Teams are only this bad for a long period for one reason: poor management of the franchise (i.e.: disinterested ownership). For further examples: see Kansas City Royals, Pittsburgh Pirates, or Arizona Cardinals.

Is the Trop that much of a bad ballpark compared to the Metrodome, or to the <insert corporate sponser here> Coliseum in Oakland? Is it any worst than Shea Stadium (at least no airplanes fly overhead every 5 minutes while in the Trop)?

If the "Devil" is to blame for Tampa's baseball woes, is Johnny Depp to blame for Pittsburgh's, or all royalty for Kansas City's?

Go ahead and change the team nickname if you want to, but it will still be an awful baseball franchise until ownership and management start to plan and care about player development, scouting, and building a winning team.

That seems to have helped put fans in the seats in places like Oakland, Minneapolis, and Flushing, NY.

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic rant.

Yes, Tropicana Field is much worse than the Oakland Coliseum. Though now marred by Mt. Davis, the Oakland Coliseum once provided a great view beyond the outfield, and the expansive foul territory eats foul pop-ups for lunch, giving A's pitchers an advantage, since most parks have quite small foul ground.

The Metrodome is barely better, because at least sometimes it's packed and loud. With Olympic Stadium off the itinerary, Tropicana Field is unquestionably the worst park in the majors.

i am all for the devil rays becoming just the rays. it isnt that much of a change, and i feel honored that they want to use my last name. if they do this though, they should also drop "bay" and just become the Tampa Rays, sounds much better IMO. I like the idea of royal blue(maybe two different shades) and yellow. no navy please. as long as it isnt yankees+yellow it should be fine.

As far as dropping the "Bay", that will never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never ever happen.

Why would they? They DO NOT play in Tampa to begin with. They play in St. Petersburg.

sheesh....

The Metrodome is barely better, because at least sometimes it's packed and loud. With Olympic Stadium off the itinerary, Tropicana Field is unquestionably the worst park in the majors.

One question with just a Yes or No answer.

Have you ever been to Dolphins Stadium for a baseball game?

I like how people actually got a team to drop "Devil" out of their name, yet there's still teams called "Braves" with a tomahawk, and "Indians"...in the same league.

I don't think they're dropping it because of the political ramifications, but more because they want a new identity and have decided that "Rays" is better than anything else. Offensive or not, "Devil Rays" is just a really really stupid name.

As for the native American issue in the pros, it's always been my opinion that while Indians and (especially) Redskins are pretty offensive, Braves and Chiefs really arent.

(I don't think they are either, it's a point)

I'd heard that people wanted "Devil" removed, which even though it probably wasn't the main reason, seemed like a contributing factor.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

i am all for the devil rays becoming just the rays. it isnt that much of a change, and i feel honored that they want to use my last name. if they do this though, they should also drop "bay" and just become the Tampa Rays, sounds much better IMO. I like the idea of royal blue(maybe two different shades) and yellow. no navy please. as long as it isnt yankees+yellow it should be fine.

As far as dropping the "Bay", that will never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never ever happen.

Why would they? They DO NOT play in Tampa to begin with. They play in St. Petersburg.

sheesh....

One question with just a Yes or No answer.

Have you ever been to Dolphins Stadium for a baseball game?

And a second question with a yes or no answer:

Have you ever been to a game at Shea, particularly when all the 7 to 7:40 pm flights are landing at LaGuardia?

Archived