New Logo Critique

paynomind

A buddy of mine at work is redesigning the logo for his church. I threw some ideas together, and so did he. Here is what we've come up with:

crosspoint.jpg

Thoughts? Feelings? Preferences? Cheese sandwiches?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Honestly, I like the current one better than 1,2, and 3. If a total change in direction is desired, than 4 looks very nice.

The subtleness of the cross in the current one looks better IMO than the obviousness of it in the redesigns. Possibly a simple font-enhancement on the current would be all that is needed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

edit: nevermind, i read the original as the first redesign concept. i'm with bbtv on this one. maybe as well as a typeface-lift (get it?) i would make the cross be the shadow on the "t" in "crosspoint" or you could make it coming off of the "p". i definitely like the original's colors better than the ones you've chosen.

OD_Signature.jpg

i'm with bbtv on this one.

BBTV?

Bothered By The View?

Buttered Buscuit Table Vinegar?

Baking By The Virgin?

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Nonne of them really do anything for me. What if you took the ideas from #3 and #5 and just made the cross/t a solid blue?

The gradient is unnecessary, the extra lines in #5 make it look like some architectural rendering.

And keep the bottom of the p a flat line, so it aligns with the baseline of "presbyterian church".

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I really appreciate the input. I'm passing it all along to my buddy.

Though, I must say, the current one is garbage, so we've got to improve on that.

Personally, I'm a fan of #2, though I agree that American President font looks a little too... Arial Narrow/Impact in this application.

ΓΔΒ!

The current one, as garbage as it may be, is better than any of the others up there. I like the idea of the cross being the sahdow of the 't.'

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Because their current one is garbage.

You dont look at it, roll your eyes and say.. man, they need a good logo? I do.

I'll direct David back to the drawing board.

ΓΔΒ!

The current is only garbage in its placement. To me, it seems like the cross should be the shadow of the T, and the Presbyterian Church should be larger. None of the redesigns do it for me, mainly due to the font.

The current is only garbage in its placement. To me, it seems like the cross should be the shadow of the T, and the Presbyterian Church should be larger. None of the redesigns do it for me, mainly due to the font.

Exactly. Whomever created the revamps and the redesigns needs to go back to type class. Granted, my program is Swiss to tha Core (The Chair studied at Basel with Armin Hoffman and Wolfgang Weingart) and fairly conservative when it comes to type choice, but I wouldn't be caught dead using any of the typefaces found in the revamps or redesigns, whereas the typeface in the current one is very good, and I would certainly use it in my own work. The only thing that's really lacking in the current logo is placement of the cross, which should be the shadow of the 't' in my opinion.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Since the cross is a shadow in the original, it makes no sense to "stand it up". I get an image of Mt. Calvary, simply by the effect of presenting the cross in shadow form.

By presenting the cross in 3-D form (as in Revamps 1&2), it's laying vacated on the ground. That's not an image that is typically presented in a religious setting.

The cross in Redesign 1&5 strikes me too much as a map - looking like roads. Hate the gradient in 3, and the pointed ends look too much like swords in 4. 2 does nothing for me.

I'm sorry that I can't tell you how to fix it, I only hope you can gain something by my telling you what I don't like.

It's where I sit.

Archived