Chicago's Bid for the 2016 Olympic Games

Fred T. Jane

NBC just broke the story during the hockey broadcast, and here's the web report.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18109665/

Chicago picked to represent U.S. in Olympic bid

City beats out L.A. to become America's candidate for 2016 Games

BREAKING NEWS

MSNBC News Services

Updated: 4:16 p.m. ET April 14, 2007

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Olympic Committee picked Chicago over Los Angeles to become the U.S. candidate to host the 2016 Summer Games on Saturday.

Representatives from Chicago and Los Angeles delivered the cities’ final pitches Saturday afternoon. Each city gave a 40-minute presentation to the 11-member USOC board of directors.

Chicago has never hosted the Olympics; Los Angeles staged the 1932 and 1984 Summer Games.

Chicago went first Saturday, and its bid committee chairman, Patrick Ryan, said topics covered by USOC questions included venue plans, security and financial guarantees.

“They were just subjects we expected they would want to get clarification on,” Ryan said.

Mayor Richard Daley called it a “friendly atmosphere.”

Chicago will go into a list of candidates for the 2016 Olympics, a group expected to include Madrid, Prague, Rome, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo. The International Olympic Committee will award the 2016 Olympics in October 2009.

The USOC revamped its domestic selection process after the troubles New York City encountered in the 2012 selection. Financing for a stadium in Manhattan fell through with just weeks left before the IOC vote. New York only got 16 of the 60 votes needed and the Americans walked away embarrassed.

Led by chairman Peter Ueberroth — who ran the 1984 Los Angeles Games — the USOC has insisted that financing be in place and transparent, and that governments be willing to backstop these bids if private money doesn’t cover all the costs. Both the city of Chicago and the state of California have complied.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NBC just broke the story during the hockey broadcast, and here's the web report.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18109665/

Chicago picked to represent U.S. in Olympic bid

City beats out L.A. to become America's candidate for 2016 Games

BREAKING NEWS

MSNBC News Services

Updated: 4:16 p.m. ET April 14, 2007

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Olympic Committee picked Chicago over Los Angeles to become the U.S. candidate to host the 2016 Summer Games on Saturday.

Representatives from Chicago and Los Angeles delivered the cities? final pitches Saturday afternoon. Each city gave a 40-minute presentation to the 11-member USOC board of directors.

Chicago has never hosted the Olympics; Los Angeles staged the 1932 and 1984 Summer Games.

Chicago went first Saturday, and its bid committee chairman, Patrick Ryan, said topics covered by USOC questions included venue plans, security and financial guarantees.

?They were just subjects we expected they would want to get clarification on,? Ryan said.

Mayor Richard Daley called it a ?friendly atmosphere.?

Chicago will go into a list of candidates for the 2016 Olympics, a group expected to include Madrid, Prague, Rome, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo. The International Olympic Committee will award the 2016 Olympics in October 2009.

The USOC revamped its domestic selection process after the troubles New York City encountered in the 2012 selection. Financing for a stadium in Manhattan fell through with just weeks left before the IOC vote. New York only got 16 of the 60 votes needed and the Americans walked away embarrassed.

Led by chairman Peter Ueberroth ? who ran the 1984 Los Angeles Games ? the USOC has insisted that financing be in place and transparent, and that governments be willing to backstop these bids if private money doesn?t cover all the costs. Both the city of Chicago and the state of California have complied.

EEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

(translation)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I know there won't be enough private money (they're always over budget), and Illinois cannot afford an Olympics. Not now, not in 2016, not in the next couple of decades.

*starts cursing the God who has turned his back on this state*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

No Olympics in Chicago, please. There's no way it would work, and they've talked about having to outsource track and field to Madison or South Bend. That's not Chicago Olympics. That's Generally Around The Midwest Olympics. Better things to do with Chicago than temporary stadia.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

In terms of geography and a desire to rotate the Olympic Games amongst continents, I'd say that Rio de Janeiro and Chicago are the front-runners in this contest.

Rio's bid will obviously benefit from the fact that the Olympic Games - Summer or Winter - have never been held in South America. As a result, granting the 2016 Summer games to the Brazilian city would be seen as a "legacy" move. As for Chicago, it won't hurt the city's chances that by 2016 the United States will have gone 20 years without hosting the games.

While the fact that the 2010 Winter Olympic Games will have been held in Vancouver, I'm not sure I see that as a major deterrent to Chicago's being able to land the 2016 Summer Games. After all, the IOC had no problem awarding London the 2012 Summer Games just 6 years after Torino hosted the Winter Olympic Games. Frankly, I believe that the IOC considers the Summer and Winter Olympic rotations as fairly separate entities with regard to scheduling.

Of much more concern to the IOC seems to be the idea of hosting the same discipline of games - Summer or Winter - on the same continent in a short period of time. Which is why I just don't see the IOC granting back-to-back Summer Olympic Games to European nations, which means that London's hosting in 2012 essentially scuttles the bids of Madrid, Prague and Rome. I also don't see the IOC going back to an Asian nation for the Summer Olympics just eight years after the 2008 Beijing Games.

I'd say that as long as finances and facilities are in order, Rio de Janeiro is the emotional front-runner amongst IOC members, with Chicago running a VERY close second.

No Olympics in Chicago, please. There's no way it would work, and they've talked about having to outsource track and field to Madison or South Bend. That's not Chicago Olympics. That's Generally Around The Midwest Olympics. Better things to do with Chicago than temporary stadia.

Point of order....

Olympiads are regional affairs and have been for some time. Sites are scattered throughout the vicinity of the host city, and in some cases, may not be close to the city at all. (Recalls seeing that Paris' bid had the rowing events on the Atlantic coast, etc.)

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Point of order....

Olympiads are regional affairs and have been for some time. Sites are scattered throughout the vicinity of the host city, and in some cases, may not be close to the city at all. (Recalls seeing that Paris' bid had the rowing events on the Atlantic coast, etc.)

Even better, at the Atlanta Olympics, sailing events were held in Savannah, rafting was held in Tennessee, and soccer was held not only in Atlanta (Athens), but also Birmingham, AL; Washington, DC; and Orlando and Miami, FL

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Point of order....

Even better, at the Atlanta Olympics, sailing events were held in Savannah, rafting was held in Tennessee, and soccer was held not only in Atlanta (Athens), but also Birmingham, AL; Washington, DC; and Orlando and Miami, FL

Didn't Detroit also host some soccer events that year as well, or was that the World Cup?

No Olympics in Chicago, please. There's no way it would work, and they've talked about having to outsource track and field to Madison or South Bend. That's not Chicago Olympics. That's Generally Around The Midwest Olympics.

You're seriously misinformed. Chicago's bid actually calls for a geographically compact games, with the vast majority of events taking place within the limits of the City of Chicago. In point of fact...

* The proposed Olympic Village - to be located just west of the lakefront on Chicago's near South Side - will be sited so as to put 88% of all athletes within fifteen minutes of their competition venues. Eighty-eight percent of athletes being within fifteen minutes of their competition venues hardly qualifies as a "Generally Around the Midwest Olympics".

* There's no plan to "outsource" Athletics (i.e. Track and Field) events to Madison or South Bend. Athletics events - as well as the Opening and Closing Ceremonies - will take place in the Olympic Stadium to be constructed in Chicago's Washington Park neighborhood.

* The furthest an event is proposed to take place outside of Chicago is at the University of Minnesota's new TCF Stadium. The facility would play host to some preliminary soccer matches. Other preliminary soccer sites are Northwestern University's Ryan Field and Northern Illinois University's Huskie Stadium. Soldier Field would play host to other preliminary soccer matches, as well as the soccer final. Given that recent Summer Olympic soccer competitions have seen preliminary matches played at multiple venues located tens-of-thousands of miles from the host city, the fact that only TCF Stadium is located outside of the State of Illinois is a testament to the compact nature of these games. Northern Illinois University is located just 65 miles west of downtown Chicago, while Northwestern University is located in the neighboring community of Evanston.

* With the exception of some preliminary baketball games (Allstate Arena in suburban Rosemont, Illinois), the equestrian events (Lakewood Forest Preserve in suburban Lake County, Illinois) and the aforementioned preliminary soccer matches, the Chicago 2016 Summer Olympics bid currently calls for all events to take place within the city limits of Chicago.

No Olympics in Chicago, please. There's no way it would work, and they've talked about having to outsource track and field to Madison or South Bend. That's not Chicago Olympics. That's Generally Around The Midwest Olympics.

You're seriously misinformed. Chicago's bid actually calls for a geographically compact games, with the vast majority of events taking place within the limits of the City of Chicago. In point of fact...

* The proposed Olympic Village - to be located just west of the lakefront on Chicago's near South Side - will be sited so as to put 88% of all athletes within fifteen minutes of their competition venues. Eighty-eight percent of athletes being within fifteen minutes of their competition venues hardly qualifies as a "Generally Around the Midwest Olympics".

* There's no plan to "outsource" Athletics (i.e. Track and Field) events to Madison or South Bend. Athletics events - as well as the Opening and Closing Ceremonies - will take place in the Olympic Stadium to be constructed in Chicago's Washington Park neighborhood.

* The furthest an event is proposed to take place outside of Chicago is at the University of Minnesota's new TCF Stadium. The facility would play host to some preliminary soccer matches. Other preliminary soccer sites are Northwestern University's Ryan Field and Northern Illinois University's Huskie Stadium. Soldier Field would play host to other preliminary soccer matches, as well as the soccer final. Given that recent Summer Olympic soccer competitions have seen preliminary matches played at multiple venues located tens-of-thousands of miles from the host city, the fact that only TCF Stadium is located outside of the State of Illinois is a testament to the compact nature of these games. Northern Illinois University is located just 65 miles west of downtown Chicago, while Northwestern University is located in the neighboring community of Evanston.

So this means an even greater tax burden will probably be placed on Illinoisans? That's just great. I would prefer an "all over the Midwest" Olympiad, because more people would share the cost.

:censored: you Uberroth. :censored: you Daley and your "successful beyond anyone's wildest imagination" wag the dog campaign of an Olympic bid.

Today, we are all otaku.

Man, you really have it in for Chicago. Damn that world class city and such. Decatur is what matters.

I'm not from Decatur, but if you aren't from downstate or Illinois, you wouldn't understand.

Today, we are all otaku.

Chicago is going to build a new stadium for this? What are they going to use it afterwards. They just remodeled Soldier Field for the bears. US Cellular isn't that old and there is no way the Cubs are leaving Wrigley. Talk about a waste of money. It's not worth it for two weeks of hell.

I am from Illinois, so I understand that there's only one corner of the state that's worth living in. I do worry about the balance of things being upset by having a Chicago Democrat in Springfield, and another in the Senate. I'd prefer a downstate Republican there to balance things a little, but if the Republicans couldn't find viable challengers to Rod The Bod and America's Man-Crush, then it's hard to complain too much.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

An option I forsee is to build a new stadium for the Olympics and renovate it after the games for Northwestern University, but I'm not from Chi-Town and don't know if that's feasible or not.

From what I understand, the plan is for it to become a 5-10,000 seat (with possible expansion) track and field stadium afterwards.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived