Chicago's Bid for the 2016 Olympic Games

Fred T. Jane

Plus it's well known that NBC & the IOC have a deal to hold the Summer Games in North American at least every 5 Olympics

1996 - Atlanta

2000 - Sydney

2004 - Athens

2008 - Beijing

2012 - London

2016 - Chicago with possibly a second term President Obama lighting the torch at the opening ceremonies to(which would be pretty cool)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Plus it's well known that NBC & the IOC have a deal to hold the Summer Games in North American at least every 5 Olympics

1996 - Atlanta

2000 - Sydney

2004 - Athens

2008 - Beijing

2012 - London

2016 - Chicago with possibly a second term President Obama lighting the torch at the opening ceremonies to(which would be pretty cool)

What deal is that? I've never ever heard anything about an NBC/IOC deal and I work for an NBC affiliate. Besides, it won't really be NBC's problem. The word is that ESPN will be/or already has put together a huge multi-billion bid for the 2014 and 2016 games. Promising no tape delay, expanded coverage, etc.

If Chicago gets the Olympics, though I don't neccessary care where they are, all American's should make attempts to get to atleast one event. I went to Sydney back in 2000 and it was the best two weeks of my life, it was amazing to see Hackett upstage Perkins in the 1500m Free and then to see Cathy Freeman power home under all that pressure in the 400m was incredible. My advice is, if you guys get it, book flights or drive and make sure you get to Chicago, even if not for an event, the atmosphere in the city will be unbelieveable.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

If Chicago gets the Olympics, though I don't neccessary care where they are, all American's should make attempts to get to atleast one event. I went to Sydney back in 2000 and it was the best two weeks of my life, it was amazing to see Hackett upstage Perkins in the 1500m Free and then to see Cathy Freeman power home under all that pressure in the 400m was incredible. My advice is, if you guys get it, book flights or drive and make sure you get to Chicago, even if not for an event, the atmosphere in the city will be unbelieveable.

This man speaks the truth.

I've been to 1 Summer (Atlanta) and 1 Winter (Salt Lake City) Olympics. The atmosphere alone is unreal. You would think that the cities would be unbelievably packed, but it wasn't NEARLY as bad as I thought.

2IA3b.png

What deal is that? I've never ever heard anything about an NBC/IOC deal and I work for an NBC affiliate. Besides, it won't really be NBC's problem. The word is that ESPN will be/or already has put together a huge multi-billion bid for the 2014 and 2016 games. Promising no tape delay, expanded coverage, etc.

I hope ESPN gets the deal then because NBC's coverage sucks. As it is now, I watch CBC as much as I can. Why can't NBC get it through their thick skulls that some people might want to watch the events as they actually happen?

spacer.png

I know Obama played high school basketball, but don't they have a current/former Olympic athlete light the torch? I'd personally prefer Micheal Jordan to light the torch in Chicago than a politician any day.

P.S. if McCain won, would that mean that Phoenix could've gotten the 2020 Summer Olympic Games?

This man speaks the truth.

I've been to 1 Summer (Atlanta) and 1 Winter (Salt Lake City) Olympics. The atmosphere alone is unreal. You would think that the cities would be unbelievably packed, but it wasn't NEARLY as bad as I thought.

And yet, I plan on being as far from Vancouver in 2010 as imaginably possible, go figure

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I know this is an old thread, but with Obama winning the election tonight, does that perhaps boost Chicago's chances for the Olympics?

If you walk around downtown Chicago, there's ads all over the place for the Chicago2016.org site and how you can get the word out.

No, there biggest problem is that the plan calls for them to build a 100,000 stadium that there is no use for afterwards. The plan calls for them to basically down side the stadium to a 5,000 seat ampitheatre afterwards. I'm not totally familar with the happenings in Chicago about this but I would imagine there would be taxpayer resistant to fund the building of the stadium. My guess it's cheaper to build a 5,000 seat out door theater straigt away than build a 100,000 seat stadium and then to knock down over 95% of it.

I know this is an old thread, but with Obama winning the election tonight, does that perhaps boost Chicago's chances for the Olympics?

If you walk around downtown Chicago, there's ads all over the place for the Chicago2016.org site and how you can get the word out.

No, there biggest problem is that the plan calls for them to build a 100,000 stadium that there is no use for afterwards. The plan calls for them to basically down side the stadium to a 5,000 seat ampitheatre afterwards. I'm not totally familar with the happenings in Chicago about this but I would imagine there would be taxpayer resistant to fund the building of the stadium. My guess it's cheaper to build a 5,000 seat out door theater straigt away than build a 100,000 seat stadium and then to knock down over 95% of it.

Easy fix.

Sabotage Wrigley Field into being uninhabitable for baseball in 2016, have them play in Miller Park in 2017 (that's EVERYONE's neutural site, amiright?) and in 2018 bam, new stadium for the Cubs in Washington Park.

Yeah, I wish.

2IA3b.png

The only way I can see the stadium being built is if they do the Atlanta thing and convert it for baseball (since the Sox and especially the Cubs should be looking for new parks by then).

The Cell will only be 25 years old in 2016, however, knowing how it was built right before the Camden era, I could see something there. But I doubt that the Cubs are going to be in line for a new stadium when Wrigley's their bread and butter.

Is Northwestern a public school? Maybe something could be worked out there.

Northwestern is a private school, I doubt anything would come of that.

Oh. I thought they could make a decent football field there. How do you think the Bears will feel about Soldier Field eight years from now?

Oh. I thought they could make a decent football field there. How do you think the Bears will feel about Soldier Field eight years from now?

They better feel really good about their publicly-funded, completely rebuilt as of 5 years ago ugly arse stadium.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If Chicago gets the bid

would Millwaukee, Indianapolis, or possibly Detroit have an event or two?

DC, Miami, and Orlando helped host the 96 olympic soccer games

Some soccer games might be played elsewhere. Otherwise all Chicago. Downstate may get an event or two tossed its way to fend off outright revolution, but that's it.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If Chicago gets the bid

One would think they would do that here in Indy with the soccer at Lucas Oil Stadium. Personally, I think Indy should run for the Olympics:

World-Class Swimming Pool: Check

Renovate a good track stadium and make bigger: Check

Perfect venue for soccer: Check

Hmmm... :D

And I think Indy makes the most sense... 3 hrs. by car and build a 120 mph fast train and get there in approx. 1.5 hrs :D

6fQjS3M.png

If Chicago gets the bid

One would think they would do that here in Indy with the soccer at Lucas Oil Stadium. Personally, I think Indy should run for the Olympics:

World-Class Swimming Pool: Check

Renovate a good track stadium and make bigger: Check

Perfect venue for soccer: Check

Hmmm... :D

And I think Indy makes the most sense... 3 hrs. by car and build a 120 mph fast train and get there in approx. 1.5 hrs :D

You're right, it's perfect. All you need is 20+ more venues and an Olympic village. The state of Indiana might financially recover in the next 3 decades.

Today, we are all otaku.

I don't think it matters too much what the Bears think, the Chicago Park District owns Soldier Field. And it should still be in very good shape after the renovations 5 years ago.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

If Chicago gets the bid

Some soccer games might be played elsewhere. Otherwise all Chicago. Downstate may get an event or two tossed its way to fend off outright revolution, but that's it.

I know University of Minnesota's brand new TCF Bank Stadium, Northwestern's Ryan Field, and Soldier Field are all scheduled to host soccer matches.

The best thing I think about our is the fact that most of the venues are existing. Ryan Field, Soldier Field, TCF Bank Stadium, United Center, Allstate Arena, Chicago State University, and McCormick place already takes care of 14 events.

2IA3b.png

Archived