Chicago's Bid for the 2016 Olympic Games

Fred T. Jane

Its funny how noone wants the games until they get it!! And then they spend 5 or 6 years complaining about it, and then have 2 freaking awesome weeks watching the best of world sport.

And then 20 years paying it off.

How many of those buildings in Beijing are empty at the moment?

China did get a shiny new national stadium and lots of other high quality sports venues out of it. The Atlanta Braves got a new stadium, and I am sure lots of other high quality venues. Potential Olympic venues have to put a lot of thought and effort into creating a legacy. A lot of sponsors pay a lot for the costs of the games. They do create jobs and money, so I wouldn't be quite so dismissive.

The Chicago bid was stupid. They had no need for a new stadium as the US Cellular isn't that old, they just re-modeled Soldier, and riots would happen if the Cubs left Wrigley. As such the plan called for them to build a new 100,000 seat stadium and then tear it down to a 5,000 park theater. That is just a waste of money for a two week event.

The Olympics are the biggest fraud as far as being an economic engine. It basically require all new buildings that don't get used for the most part afterward, it cost a ton to put on and it doesn't generate the tourism dollars expected because not as many people as you think goes to the game because of the thought of the large crowds plus all the locals take off those two weeks for the same reason.

Chicago is lucky they didn't get the games.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading the book "Dishonored Games" and the book from former IOC VP Dick Pound...

I beg your pardon? ^_^

Oh, grow up.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I want Rio to get the games so finally there want be a problem with the timezones for the first time since really Atlanta. (Talking Summer Games)

EDIT: Rio will host the 2016 Summer Olympics.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

So I have six years to not remember that they will host and when will there be a military coup in the nation with "the top-ranked city in the world for ?violent international deaths,? with just under five thousand murders last year, at least half of which were drug-gang related."

So I have six years to not remember that they will host and when will there be a military coup in the nation with "the top-ranked city in the world for ?violent international deaths,? with just under five thousand murders last year, at least half of which were drug-gang related."

Brazil actually has a very stable civilian democracy. as this shows

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The funniest part of the Obama thing is that the delegates clapped for him and only him, went to pose with him and get their pictures taken like a bunch of ga-ga tourists, and then decided to vote against him. DEAD LAST

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

... the self-titled "Olympic Movement" is bag of nothing and would not survive without the television money from the US.

Which is why, with NBC's broadcast rights package to the Olympic Games set to run-out after the 2012 London Summer games, Chicago seemingly was a lock to join Rio as a finalist. Nothing ups the U.S. television ante quite like awarding the games to a U.S. city.

That said, the USOC's recent squabble with the IOC over the former organization's unilateral plan to launch its own cable channel undoubtedly rankled many delegates who may well have taken this opportunity to send the U.S. a reminder of just where it stands in the Olympic hierarchy of the 21st Century. I couldn't understand the USOC engaging in the brinksmanship about the cable television plans so close to a vote about awarding the 2016 Summer Olympic Games. It may well have played a significant role in costing Chicago the right to play host.

Also, Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva's impassioned plea on behalf of Rio's bid to become the host of the first South American Olympic Games was reportedly phenomenal, trumping President Obama's more reserved speech touting Chicago.

Dick Ebersol's thoughts on the vote and sponsorship dollars.

Dick Ebersol on CNBC

Seems like there was no real synergy with NBC Entertainment and CNBC.

China did get a shiny new national stadium and lots of other high quality sports venues out of it. The Atlanta Braves got a new stadium, and I am sure lots of other high quality venues. Potential Olympic venues have to put a lot of thought and effort into creating a legacy. A lot of sponsors pay a lot for the costs of the games. They do create jobs and money, so I wouldn't be quite so dismissive.

If I remember correctly, the Braves were already in the talks of getting a new baseball-only stadium in the late 80's/early 90's, and the Olympics sped up that process. The Georgia Dome was already in the process of getting built by the time Atlanta won the Olympic bid. Fulton County Stadium was starting to piss off the Falcons because the field was never in decent shape by the time the NFL season started.

A lot of the Olympic events took place in buildings that were already in place/already being built, such as FCS, the Georgia Dome, and the Omni. There aren't many of the venues left: Half were temporary buildings, and the rest are currently not in use, but sitting vacantly.

Of the Olympic-built venues/buildings getting at least decent use, the main ones are Turner Field, Georgia Tech's Aquatics Center, and the Olympic Village.

Well, Chicago losing means Minneapolis has a chance for 2020. Maybe the Vikes can get a new stadium out of the deal, althought I think the Gophers' new stadium would be serving the purpose for the games.

So Does New York City!

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

Woooooooooooooooooo!

Good luck Brazil, Japan, or Spain. I hope you like your taxes high and your economic collapses long.

ESPN Chicago link

HEY OBAMA

n49632967403_4349.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a "real" American!

You really disgust me.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Well, Chicago losing means Minneapolis has a chance for 2020. Maybe the Vikes can get a new stadium out of the deal, althought I think the Gophers' new stadium would be serving the purpose for the games.

So Does New York City!

What the hell are you talking about? Do you not remember everything that blew up with the 2012 bid? Even with all these new stadiums and arenas popping up, it's still a debacle to have NYC host no matter what. Everyday is a nightmare around the city anyway, and now you want to halt everything for 2 weeks on top of that?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived