Chicago's Bid for the 2016 Olympic Games

Fred T. Jane

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have six years to not remember that they will host and when will there be a military coup in the nation with "the top-ranked city in the world for “violent international deaths,” with just under five thousand murders last year, at least half of which were drug-gang related."

Brazil actually has a very stable civilian democracy. as this shows

They did prior to landing this. Fear not, however, I'm sure da Silva is fielding loan offers from the IMF and World Bank as we speak for just a few simple "reforms". For example, why grow food when you can grow ethanol instead?

Seriously, the Olympics can do far more to stunt the growth of a Newly Industrialized Country than any program of protectionist tariffs. In fact, let's just give 2020 to one of either Mumbai, Calicut, or New Delhi.

I know you think highly of the Olympics Saintsfan, but "winning" the right to host them is like "winning" the right to have a session with the finest hooker in town. You pay more, maybe get 10 minutes of pleasure, and have the clap for the rest of your life.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So I have six years to not remember that they will host and when will there be a military coup in the nation with "the top-ranked city in the world for ?violent international deaths,? with just under five thousand murders last year, at least half of which were drug-gang related."

Rent "City of God" to look at the non-tourist side of Rio. Excellent movie by the way.

Let's be honest. Did anyone really think Chicago had any chance of winning? Well besides Cub fans, and even Cub fans knew there was no chance. A little reality here people.

Four of the IOC's TOP (The Olympic Partner) aka the premier level of IOC sponsorship created in 1985, are US-based: Coca-Cola, GE, McDonalds, VISA. They love the money however dislike the ecomomy which gives them the money. If US sponsorship and rights fees are drastically reduced, then the sports will be cut and the movement curtailed. 'Brian in Boston' was correct in stating that the IOC and it Euro-centric majority were angered by the idea of a USOC channel. Peter Ueberroth, the man who actually made the Olympic Movement profitable, and the USOC Board is more to blame than anyone else.

Financially, Rio could be another Montreal at worst and Seoul at best.

HEY OBAMA

n49632967403_4349.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a "real" American!

You really disgust me.

...and you disgust most everyone else on the boards, so i'd call it even.

And Tank, for the love of God, stop it. Just stop.

Next time you have a thought, take a breath... and dont.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

So I have six years to not remember that they will host and when will there be a military coup in the nation with "the top-ranked city in the world for “violent international deaths,” with just under five thousand murders last year, at least half of which were drug-gang related."

They did prior to landing this. Fear not, however, I'm sure da Silva is fielding loan offers from the IMF and World Bank as we speak for just a few simple "reforms". For example, why grow food when you can grow ethanol instead?

Seriously, the Olympics can do far more to stunt the growth of a Newly Industrialized Country than any program of protectionist tariffs. In fact, let's just give 2020 to one of either Mumbai, Calicut, or New Delhi.

I know you think highly of the Olympics Saintsfan, but "winning" the right to host them is like "winning" the right to have a session with the finest hooker in town. You pay more, maybe get 10 minutes of pleasure, and have the clap for the rest of your life.

Considering the problems that Delhi has in orgainising the next year's Commonwealth Games, I doubt India would consider the Olympics in the near future. Rio hosted the Pan Americans in 2007 and Brasil is hosting the 2014 FIFA World Cup, so I guess the IOC must think that they have the capability to host the Olympics.

I saw, I came, I left.

So I have six years to not remember that they will host and when will there be a military coup in the nation with "the top-ranked city in the world for ?violent international deaths,? with just under five thousand murders last year, at least half of which were drug-gang related."

Considering the problems that Delhi has in orgainising the next year's Commonwealth Games, I doubt India would consider the Olympics in the near future. Rio hosted the Pan Americans in 2007 and Brasil is hosting the 2014 FIFA World Cup, so I guess the IOC must think that they have the capability to host the Olympics.

1-They are looking at cruise ships for to meet the IOC level 3,4 and 5 hotel rooms. ( Remember Jacksonville?)

2-Their track stadium (Estádio Olímpico João Havelange) has a roof, but is currently seats only 45,000. 60k is the minimum for the IOC. The "endzones" are somewhat open, so 7,500 in each end can expand to host athletics.

The Maracana has 100k seats, but all the better seats are in the upper bowl, like 70%. Try to sell that.

The Olympic selection process is far too corrupt to be taken seriously. From the bribe scandal with SLC, to the report that Chicago was largely bumped out because the Asian IOC members voted as a bloc for Tokyo.

Let's face it, the Savior Himself (and no Tank, that's not Obama I'm referring to) could have spoken on behalf of Chicago, and the IOC wouldn't have bit. So, Obama did all he could, and I don't fault him for it, since despite the costs, jobs would have been created. Besides, seeing as how he has a fully equipped office on Air Force One, I don't see the argument that he was neglecting his duties, because he was able to work while airborne.

VmWIn6B.png

Let's face it, the Savior Himself (and no Tank, that's not Obama I'm referring to) could have spoken on behalf of Chicago, and the IOC wouldn't have bit. So, Obama did all he could, and I don't fault him for it, since despite the costs, jobs would have been created. Besides, seeing as how he has a fully equipped office on Air Force One, I don't see the argument that he was neglecting his duties, because he was able to work while airborne.

Gee, I was saying the same thing when Bush went on his vacations/trips, but no one paid attention to that....

The Olympic selection process is far too corrupt to be taken seriously. From the bribe scandal with SLC, to the report that Chicago was largely bumped out because the Asian IOC members voted as a bloc for Tokyo.

Ask one person about IOC bribes...Roy Jones, Jr.!

Gee, I was saying the same thing when Bush went on his vacations/trips, but no one paid attention to that....

Just like nobody seemed to understand that while at his ranch, he had an office and still gave press conferences, and heck, he even met with foreign leaders there.

VmWIn6B.png

Just like nobody seemed to understand that while at his ranch, he had an office and still gave press conferences, and heck, he even met with foreign leaders there.

THIS IS NOT A US POLITICAL ISSUE! Really, if you think this is Obama lost it from today or Bush lost it from his past int'l policy, you all are really simpler persons and should never talk on the (now) poorly regulated Obama thread. Chicago lost on its own merits, like Tokyo. Tokyo could have given the IOC a better/cleaner games which had airports, hotels, media access and arenas. The IOC wants to act like they are being good as the Euro voters act. Therefore we now have another Montreal!

Well....I was going to say the Asian federations were voting in their regional interests, but then I remembered that none of said nations really likes Japan, so yeah, money probably changed hands.

As for the Indian cities I named, I was merely facetiously suggesting using the Olympics as a way to sabotage the economy of another NIC. Nothing more, nothing less.

/How many shantytowns are going to be bulldozed for these games?

//Is FIFA going to relent on their natural surface kick so Brazil can build some stadia with roofs for future conversion?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

HEY OBAMA

n49632967403_4349.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a "real" American!

You really disgust me.

...and you disgust most everyone else on the boards, so i'd call it even.

And Tank, for the love of God, stop it. Just stop.

Next time you have a thought, take a breath... and dont.

If by "most everyone else" you mean the ignorant :censored:s like you, then I guess I'm doing alright.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Archived