O...no canada- again!!

NoHoJoe

First It was FOX, now it is ABC's turn for dissing Canada.

If anybody watched yesterday's NHL All-Star game on ABC, you might have noticed something-and may I say it lightly- deliberate. ABC showed some 2-bit bar room band playing The Star Spangled Banner, then cut to the commercial.  Does anybody at ABC realize that there are CANADIANS that either reside or visit the good old USA and like to watch hockey on TV, which is nowadays a rarity in the USA. If the production crew of Hockey Night In Canada decides to cut away to the commercial after the player introductions, just think of the phone calls flooding the switchboards at the CBC main offices.

It is time for the TV networks to put ad time adside and start to respect the anthem of our great country, and if there is any representation of a team from another country, such as Canada, then respect that country's people too!

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

This pisses me off, because if I was watching a sport on a Canadian TV Station, I wouldn't want them to cut away from the U.S.'s anthem.

This shows how we only care about our country and just us.

The U.S. has to be the only country with commericials saying "I am ____[enter country name]" ("I am American" for the U.S.)

what sNOwcAp30 said is true. I am part Canadian and i don't mean do disrespect anyone but it would take awhile to sing everyone national anthem. But when they were in Canada didn't they sing the Canadian national anthem first and the American one second. The only reason they sing the US one because ABC and most of the viewers are American

Oh come on Snowcap you know its more importnat that we see those noin-stop ABC promos forthe Practice. Got to put the bUcks first $, hell if ABC coudl they would show a split screen with the game and more commericals.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I didn't watch the All-Star game, but from my experience, they usually play the anthems for the teams represented. Since there are only teams from the U.S. and Canada, they only play those anthems.
WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Yeah I saw that and was insulted.  And I'm American!  The rendition of the Star Spangled Banner was awful.  And no Oh Canada?  What the heck is that?  That's brutal.  Although, not as brutal as the 1997 ASG.  Fox came out of the intro with James Brown doing his monologue through Oh Canada and halfway through the Star Spangled Banner. It's stupid that they don't make the attempt to show it.  But then again, no one in the US can cover hockey like HNiC eh!

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

... but there were more Canadians in the lineup than any other nationality.  Thus, the Canadian Anthem actually would have been more appropriate than the US Anthem.  Don't quote me on this one, but I think there were more Canadians that Europeans combined.

Another not, the band that played was some Latin "Superstar."  Obviously, he played because they were in Miami.  Additionally, he did not know either Anthem (according to the AP), which is why the anthem was so slow and, well, bad.  He had the lyrics fed to him through an earpiece.

The article went on to say that Country Music singer Paul Brandt was brought on for the Canadian Anthem, though it didn't mention if that was the original plan, or just a contingency.

Thing it, when the CFL played in the US, even when it was two US teams playing, they played "Oh Canada."

For two points, can anyone tell me which team played "Oh Canada" to the tune of "Oh Christmastree?"

Rob

Guys, whatcha going to do? ABC sucks. I wish upon all wishes that the NHL would have a North American Hockey Night where everyone in both countries could see a televised game. I'm tired of ESPN and ABC only showing the Stars-Avalanche-Red Wings and Rangers. maybe if they showcased everyteam in the NHL once a week it would be more interesting to watch. I'm an Islanders fan and i don't think they've ever been on ESPN or ABC's game of the week. hell, the last time i think the Islanders played before a nation wide audience on an american network was 1998 v.s the Rangers. But anyway, Hockey Night in Canada really puts on a good show. they have good knowlegeable announcers and hell you have Don Cherry and hes funny as hell plus he knows the game.

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

For two points, can anyone tell me which team played "Oh Canada" to the tune of "Oh Christmastree?"

That was the Las Vegas Posse, when they had some idiot lounge singer do the Canadian anthem.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Joe, i thought you were from NYC....huh..look how little i know.

Was it right for ABC to cut the anthem, no, but in the end, what impact on the world today will it have? none.

P.S. the way Bettman is running this league into the ground, you may never hear the canadian anthem during a hockey game again, there won't be a team from canada to play it for...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Gentlemen, it's not that big a deal...

To you it's not a big deal John, but it's a big deal to me, and apparently a lot of other people.  I mean would you honestly not care if a tv channel showed an anthem then just as the U.S. anthem was about to start the commentators started talking over the playing or they decided to go to commerical?

Of course you'd care.

But when it deals with ANOTHER country it's no big deal, at least in your eyes.

If you want respect, you gotta show respect.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

IMHO O Canada is a part of hockey tradition, regardless of the nation or nations from where the teams come.  I know for a fact the the Oklahoma City Blazers of the AA Central Hockey League (where there isn't a team from a city any further north than Indianapolis) play O Canada before every game.  More than anything, it shows that ABC is either ignorant of or indifferent to hockey tradition.  I am not offended that they did not air O Canada but I can understand why Canadians would be offended.  I am, however, disappointed that American network television (especially Fox, but to a lesser extent DisneyABCESPN) has attempted to "glam up" hockey.  They should let the national games be produced and formatted by the home teams' local affiliates as they tend to be of a more "pure" hockey nature.

More than anything, it shows that ABC is either ignorant of or indifferent to hockey tradition.

Both, they don't know so they don't care.  You will never hear a reference to something before 1967 (aside from using the term "Original Six") on ABC/ESPN.  Usually, you won't hear them talk about anything before Gretzky.

I can definatley understand Canadiens being mad. They should have shown it. That said, I don't think I would be very mad if they did not show the US anthem. Would I be mad? Yes. Would I get worked up about it? No. I have no idea how mad you guys are. And if you are worked up about it I also have no problem with it. I just don't think I would be.

Archived