Tampa Bay DevilRays - ReBranding Concept

whchoclte

With all the rumors flying around and the 14 page thread on this subject , thought I would throw my idea out there on what could be. The main logo is just teh ball acting as teh sun shining down on the local area. The palm trees are present because they are outside the stadium. The two secondary logos I tried to keep classic. The first taking the ball and making the top yellow for the sun and bottom blue for water. The second is a classic TB insignia.

The lettering is meant to be modern yet very fluid. I also brought back the light blue unis as I figured this would be a perfect opportunity for this.

Thanks to Kyler (roxstar) for his help.

Please let me know what you think and dont go stealing it!!

Rays1A.jpg

Here is an edit to the unis with a few tweaks from soem gusy below. I like the slanted #'s. They do have the same angle as the wordmark and just adds soemthing diff. I added extra Light Blue to teh home jersey and did the lettermark in yellow on the caps. Slowly be coming my fav as I love the Light Blue hat

Rays2I.jpg

Here is a third edit eliminating most light blue from the unis. More Navy and Yellow Scheme using Light Blue as an accent. Shown further down teh post also:

Rays2E.jpg

Here is one for the people that wanted Gray jerseys instead of light blue. It works just not as original.

Rays2H.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing. I love almost every aspect of it except for the last two "TB" marks everything else is genius. I think it really grasps what the re-branding (dropping the devil) should be for a currently blah team. Now only if they could get a nice outdoor facility they might have a fighting chance.

Ahoy, mateys, brilliant Rays concept to starboard! Well, on the logo side, anyway; the uniforms don't live up to the promise of your excellent logos, script, and general iconography. Do the two palms stand for Tampa and St. Pete? B)

The script in particular is perfect: It looks nautical and piratical but also modern and refreshing. I'd like to see the jersey script appear at a rakish angle, though, instead of along a flat horizontal line.

Your home and alt caps need much better contrast with the cap logo. White on light blue is just a nonstarter. The invisible home/alt cap logo really stands out as poor work on an otherwise very attractive concept. Besides, a yellow TB on the sky blue cap would communicate the idea of "ray" much better than white on blue.

The number font doesn't look like it belongs on the same jersey as the script. Horizontally skewed numbers almost never look good on a baseball uniform; they look doubly out of place here, given the non-skewed jersey script. This isn't NASCAR. Make the numbers straight and easy to read. Also, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you intend for the names on the back to appear along the outside of an arc, not flat along a horizontal line.

Finally, I think you need to lighten the blue on the road uniforms. You just can't sustain the intensity of the light blue you've chosen over the player's entire body. Let a much lighter, paler blue stand in for the team's "real" shade of light blue in this instance.

20082614447.png

This is very nice. I really like the wordmarks, very original. I'm not sold yet on the "TB" monogram, maybe if the "TB" was more defined, it may work better for me. I'd be very interested to see what a gray road uni would look like.

Other than that, give it some time to settle on me and I may have some more crituque. Right now, I'll give it the grade of a B.

I think this is a very solid concept and the primary logo is really starting to grow on me with the sun rays overlapping the outline of the circle. It gives it a nice effect.

Just some things for thought:

- The BRIGHT blue is used a little too much in the uniforms and alternate logos. I think it would look better if it was used in a way similar to how the Seahawks use the electric green.

- 99% of time, the baseball cap should be the same or a darker color than the jersey itself. The light blue hats with the navy jersey doesn't look as good it would with a navy hat.

- The white numbers on the alt. jersey are too difficult to read. I would suggest navy, but yellow may work too.

- The baseball in the second logo looks alot like a tennis ball with the colored sections.

These are just my opinions, and you did great job on the entire presentation.

Very nice.

GFB

IF the team is going to go towards the "rays of sunlight" as opposed to the "rays in the water", I think this is a good start.

I like the colors, but I hate the font you used. It's hard to read and the "TB" is VERY hard to read. The "circle" logos are nice, but they do look like tennis balls. My favorite of the "circle" logos is the 1st one on the 2nd row.

The jerseys: WAYYY too much light blue....

- The BRIGHT blue is used a little too much in the uniforms and alternate logos. I think it would look better if it was used in a way similar to how the Seahawks use the electric green.

....like he said.

SigReflect.png

This is great! I would love to see the Rays do something like this, although I am a huge fan of what they have now. (Green is my favorite color, and its horribly underused in sports.)

Somebody mentioned that the TB on the caps is hard to read. Maybe you could make the T dark blue on the powder hats and make it powder on the away cap. Keep the B yellow on all of them. That way you also have all three colors on the cap. It would be unique for MLB.

Those logos are sick-nasty, I agree that you have to tone down the light blue too. Other than that - amazing. If they sold that hat I would buy it SO fast. That color on a MLB hat=very nice. Wish the Jays would have a blue hat...

First off, don't change those logos. They look less like a tennis ball than does the ball in the middle of the Brewers ball-in-glove logo. Since everyone seems to think that's like the best baseball logo ever, then there is no problem with your Rays logos. Which, by the way, are absolutely awesome and would be among the best in the big leagues if adopted right now, as-is. They're that good.

On the uniform side, I have to admit I really don't like the new iterations with navy blue. Putting the light blue front and center -- home and alt caps, home jersey script -- makes the identity of this team. Navy should be an accent color and a barrier between the three lighter shades in the palette. As to the white/light blue contrast, I've taken a look at the new Myrtle Beach Pelicans merchandise again, and I was wrong. With a navy blue outline, your white TB would look fine enough on the light blue caps (as would yellow with navy outline).

20082614447.png

I like what you've done in the 2nd re-do above, except for I'm not really sold on the sky blue road unis. Maybe an RGB value of

R = 180

G = 215

B = 224

It's a little more gray than what you have, but just a little more original than plain gray.

Archived