Omaha Knights AHL team to move to Quad Cities

RedEye

*Starts to cry*

It's a sad day for the city of Omaha. I know it wasn't working, but they could of at least tried it out for another season. Oh well...

R.I.P. Omaha Knights (2005-2007).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gah. Another stupid minor league clone identity, right on the heels of the atrocious Trenton Devils. The Quad City Mallards had both a unique name and color scheme (granted, the logo was nothing special,) with 12 years of tradition, and have decided to scrap it all in favor of looking just like their parent club. That's always guaranteed to grind my gears.

We'll just have to wait and see if the move up to the "A" breathes some life into this steadily-dwindling market, I guess. In the meantime, I'm keeping my eyes peeled to see if I can score a Knights jersey on the cheap. Love that logo, and I actually didn't mind seeing it on a cloned jersey one bit.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

They already have a flaming C ready to go. Adding the Q will be just as easy due to the shared shape on the left side of each letter. Book it.

EDIT:

qcbs4.png

quick 'n dirty

Gotta figure this will be about it -- or close to it, if they plan to stylize a bit like the Iowa Stars.

As I said in the thread I mistakenly started elsewhere, I would have preferred they kept their established identity with history and titles behind it. The colors and the original unis were classic, IMO. Also, if "IceHogs" can survive...

But since attendance isn't near the levels they used to be, maybe they need a jolt like this. They could always go back. Plus the QC has a history of dropping highly successful brands -- the Quad-City River Bandits cap was everywhere, but they dumped it for Swing of the Quad-Cities because the Bandits became associated with floods, low attendance, etc.

And as a QC native, I'm also shocked by the accurate knowledge of the area dropped in this thread. And glad I didn't have to attempt to provide it.

*Starts to cry*

It's a sad day for the city of Omaha. I know it wasn't working, but they could of at least tried it out for another season. Oh well...

R.I.P. Omaha Knights (2005-2007).

I bought tickets to see the Knights when they came to Toronto last year just to say I saw a hockey team from Omaha :) (yeah I'm weird, but so are all of you)

n583265050_106639_9437.jpg

n583265050_106636_8540.jpg

n583265050_106653_578.jpg

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

i'm dissapointed by the name, at least the mallards were unique, as much as I hated the Mallards I always thought they had a great name and a great logo. Well there you go. Who's next Fort Wayne?

i'm dissapointed by the name, at least the mallards were unique, as much as I hated the Mallards I always thought they had a great name and a great logo. Well there you go. Who's next Fort Wayne?

Others have mentioned on this board that the AHL would benefit a lot more from Fort Wayne than Fort Wayne would probably benefit from the AHL. When you're drawing 8,000 a night and have the low operating expenses of a lower-AA club, why bump up to the AHL and incur all the costs associated with it, and a required affiliation? Of course, with the U seemingly disintegrating before our eyes, I don't know where else the Komets would go. ECHL, maybe? Perhaps an expanded CHL to keep the costs down?

It's a similar story in OKC. I'd love to see the Blazers in the "A," but they're apparently quite content to draw 9,000 a night playing lower-level hockey on a shorter schedule.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Others have mentioned on this board that the AHL would benefit a lot more from Fort Wayne than Fort Wayne would probably benefit from the AHL. When you're drawing 8,000 a night and have the low operating expenses of a lower-AA club, why bump up to the AHL and incur all the costs associated with it, and a required affiliation? Of course, with the U seemingly disintegrating before our eyes, I don't know where else the Komets would go. ECHL, maybe? Perhaps an expanded CHL to keep the costs down?

It's a similar story in OKC. I'd love to see the Blazers in the "A," but they're apparently quite content to draw 9,000 a night playing lower-level hockey on a shorter schedule.

Well the U isn't going anywhere, well probably changing to the IHL but with teams like Kalamazoo, Fort Wayne, Muskegon and Flint, yes Flint, the U/I will only strengthen in time. Losing two teams to the AAA is better than losing them to the ECHL. So don't think they are disintegrating, because they will still have Bloomington, Chicago, Flint, Kalamazoo, Fort Wayne, and Muskegon, Port Huron coming out from the dead and 2 expansion franchises to go along with the rest. I personally see a re-birth to the league, and it only goes uphill from here. Also with Fort Wayne owner Frankes and Muskegons Lismans pretty much in control of the U, I don't think you'll see Fort Wayne going anywhere

Well the U isn't going anywhere, well probably changing to the IHL but with teams like Kalamazoo, Fort Wayne, Muskegon and Flint, yes Flint, the U/I will only strengthen in time. Losing two teams to the AAA is better than losing them to the ECHL. So don't think they are disintegrating, because they will still have Bloomington, Chicago, Flint, Kalamazoo, Fort Wayne, and Muskegon, Port Huron coming out from the dead and 2 expansion franchises to go along with the rest. I personally see a re-birth to the league, and it only goes uphill from here. Also with Fort Wayne owner Frankes and Muskegons Lismans pretty much in control of the U, I don't think you'll see Fort Wayne going anywhere

Eh, I dunno about that. I mean, if the UHL wants to go forward, that's their business, and the more hockey, the better. But there's a lot of franchises on shaky ground left in that league. Port Huron hasn't seen a 2,000 average at the gate since the early days of the Border Cats. Muskegon and Flint are just kind of... there. The Hounds are a third-tier team in a far-flung suburb of a city where the media barely recognizes its NHL franchise, and the attendance reflects that. K-Zoo has seen a gradual decline, it seems... but I just can't see them disappearing. They've been around 30 years, which is as good as forever in the minors.

As for the IHL name, well it did spend the majority of its existence as a Michigan-centered bus league, so I guess I could see that. But a little bit of me might die if "Bloomington PrairieThunder" ever got etched on the Turner Cup.

Eh, I dunno about that. I mean, if the UHL wants to go forward, that's their business, and the more hockey, the better. But there's a lot of franchises on shaky ground left in that league. Port Huron hasn't seen a 2,000 average at the gate since the early days of the Border Cats. Muskegon and Flint are just kind of... there. The Hounds are a third-tier team in a far-flung suburb of a city where the media barely recognizes its NHL franchise, and the attendance reflects that. K-Zoo has seen a gradual decline, it seems... but I just can't see them disappearing. They've been around 30 years, which is as good as forever in the minors.

As for the IHL name, well it did spend the majority of its existence as a Michigan-centered bus league, so I guess I could see that. But a little bit of me might die if "Bloomington PrairieThunder" ever got etched on the Turner Cup.

The UHL is down to 6 teams- Fort Wayne, Bloomington, Chicago, Muskegon, Flint and Kalamazoo

Elmira went to the ECHL, Rockford and Quad City to the AHL, Port Huron has ceased operations

I dont think the U will last much longer. Maybe 1 more season.

Signature intentionally left blank

The question is how much are the fans willing to put up with seeing the same teams over and over again...

When you are trying to get someone to make a 4th(?!) try in Port Huron, and banking on having a Toledo team playing in a small temporary structure for "expansion" to 8, methinks things are looking bleak.

Fort Wayne may ultimately end up biting the AHL bullet...that Edmonton franchise is still lying around dormant.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived