Jim Everett's "Phantom Sack"

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Slater

Slater

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted June 13, 2007 - 20:28

This is one play that I can't recall ever seeing, although it's been written about to some degree. Evidently during a Rams-49ers game in 1989, Everett went down before 49er defenders ever reached him, and seemed to be gun shy from that point on.

Anyone know of a source that has a video clip of that play?

#2 Milo Meningocele

Milo Meningocele
  • EFL Trade Police

• Members
  • 3,884 posts

Posted June 13, 2007 - 20:55

Phantom sack...:lol:
Posted Image

#3 NJTank

NJTank
  • Being a Mets fan is like being water boarded on a nightly basis

• Members
  • 39,616 posts

• Favourite Logos:New York Mets
      Detroit Red Wings
      Tampa Bay Buccaneers
      Boston Celtics

Posted June 13, 2007 - 21:01

This is still the best Jim Everett video ever

Posted Image
www.sportsecyclopedia.com
For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com
Posted Image

#4 DarkJourney

DarkJourney
  • Trust me, I know what I'm doing

• Members
  • 2,822 posts

Posted June 13, 2007 - 21:05

It basically started the downfall of the Rams in Anaheim before their revival in Saint Louis.

#5 TFoA

TFoA
  • Hooray baseball

• Members
  • 18,741 posts

• Favourite Logos:Put it on a fitted cap, I'll probably love it.

Posted June 13, 2007 - 21:24

If this is what got Jim Rome to start calling Jim Everett Chris, then he deserved that name 100%. Lmao @ a phantom sack.

#6 DDR

DDR

• Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted June 13, 2007 - 21:30

Great clip, but even better is on the sidebar: Frank Caliendo doing Jim Rome. Phe-nomenal.

#7 See Red

See Red
  • In all kinds of weather

• Members
  • 8,033 posts

Posted June 13, 2007 - 22:01

One of my favorite youtube videos.

It's "in-credible".

florida_gators.gif

#8 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 3,649 posts

• Favourite Logos:Old-school: Montreal Canadiens
      New-school: Minnesota Wild

Posted June 13, 2007 - 23:16

Of course, Brett Favre once gave up a "phantom sack" as well, but at least in his case it was for a kinda-sorta good "cause" (namely, to give his buddy Michael Strahan the single-season sack record). "Chris" Everett doesn't have that excuse.
Posted Image

#9 whitedawg22

whitedawg22

• Members
  • 1,286 posts

Posted June 14, 2007 - 14:44

Of course, Brett Favre once gave up a "phantom sack" as well, but at least in his case it was for a kinda-sorta good "cause" (namely, to give his buddy Michael Strahan the single-season sack record). "Chris" Everett doesn't have that excuse.

How is that cause in any way good? That's like a pitcher throwing a BP ball to Bonds when he's at 755 just so Steroid Man can hit the record homer off him. It dilutes the meaning of the game.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

#10 illwauk

illwauk
  • Dancin' days are here again!

• Members
  • 6,461 posts

Posted June 14, 2007 - 14:52

Not to mention it took the sack record from one of the poster children for 1980s NFL steroid abuse.

uwm_banners_zpsbf8ee4c3.png

#11 LuvTheNats

LuvTheNats

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted June 14, 2007 - 17:00

You know....its still a GREAT video to watch, even though it was SO clearly a set up....The best part about it....The old DEUCE look!!!

#12 Nick 1733

Nick 1733
  • Ever think that there's more than just what you see?

• Banned
  • 4,861 posts

Posted June 14, 2007 - 17:23

If this is what got Jim Rome to start calling Jim Everett Chris, then he deserved that name 100%. Lmao @ a phantom sack.

You are aware that Chris Everett used to be a tennis player, right? I'm referring to the actual Chris Everett...

Now if Rome calls him that because the real Chris Everett is a woman, then it makes sense.

#13 DEAD!

DEAD!
  • Memories...

• Members
  • 20,798 posts

Posted June 14, 2007 - 17:30

You are aware that Chris Everett used to be a tennis player, right? I'm referring to the actual Chris Everett...

Now if Rome calls him that because the real Chris Everett is a woman, then it makes sense.

That's Chris Evert.
I saw, I came, I left.

#14 TFoA

TFoA
  • Hooray baseball

• Members
  • 18,741 posts

• Favourite Logos:Put it on a fitted cap, I'll probably love it.

Posted June 14, 2007 - 17:41

Yeah, that's what I meant, Chris Evert. One of the rare times I agree with Jim Rome when he calls someone out of name. :lol:

#15 Nick 1733

Nick 1733
  • Ever think that there's more than just what you see?

• Banned
  • 4,861 posts

Posted June 14, 2007 - 17:46

That's Chris Evert.

Wow, I never knew that's how her name was spelled... go figure, but then again she was around when I was a kid.

#16 illwauk

illwauk
  • Dancin' days are here again!

• Members
  • 6,461 posts

Posted June 14, 2007 - 18:01

How is that cause in any way good? That's like a pitcher throwing a BP ball to Bonds when he's at 755 just so Steroid Man can hit the record homer off him. It dilutes the meaning of the game.

So would you feel the same way if a picther gave up a gopher ball to someone so he could pass up Bonds? Because that's essentially what Brett did.

Of course, if the NFL actually kept stats for tackles and sacks in the 60's, we wouldn't even be having this debate (see: Deacon Jones).

uwm_banners_zpsbf8ee4c3.png

#17 whitedawg22

whitedawg22

• Members
  • 1,286 posts

Posted June 15, 2007 - 15:10

So would you feel the same way if a picther gave up a gopher ball to someone so he could pass up Bonds? Because that's essentially what Brett did.

Yes, I would. Records aren't to recognize players who we think are deserving, they are to recognize people who did the most of something within the parameters of the game.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .