Request for Suggestions on Removing Heat-Pressed Letters

OHLArenaGuide

I was hoping to access the collective wisdom of the CCSLC on this. I was at my local Value Village this morning and managed to find, for $3.99, this beauty:

scbroncos1.jpg

Unfortunately, the previous douche of an owner did this to the back of it:

scbroncos2.jpg

So, I want to somehow remove the screen printing without damaging the jersey. Anyone have any suggestions? Is that even possible?

I was also thinking about covering it up with Brent Ruff's 9 (died in the Swift Current bus crash in 1986, number is retired) but that's not an option, since in 1986 the team didn't use names on the back, so the number placement was too high:

memorialserv.jpg

Any suggestions? Is it possible to remove heat pressing without damaging the jersey?

PapelbonSpaceship.png

bannerlong.jpg

But who wouldn't Want 9?

Seriously though, I actually had a jersey with screened on numbers, and depending how fresh the numbers were pressed on, a tumble through the dryer actually managed to peel a few of them off.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

This happenned to me about 10 years ago. I brought a jersey to have heat-pressed numbers, thought I was getting Rangers Drop-shadow and I got a simple outline. I sat there for two days picking it off. The two colors were hard to get off. The name they did in one color and came off pretty easy. I know there is a chemical that can remove the stuff, but I do not know the name.

I think its going to depend big time on what kind of application it was.

If it was screened on, you don't have a chance. It'll be ingrained into the fibers.

If its heat seal, you'll have some luck.

I have never attempted this so I don't know if it will work or damage the jersey, but my best bets are:

Heat...Melt it off. Hair Dryer on high or heat gun. Might work...

Goof Off...adhesive remover found anywhere.

Paint thinner or Mineral Spirits

Pick at it forever.

I can see Paint Thinner, Mineral Spirits or Goof off damaging the fabric so you'd want to try on a small spot of it first to see if it did anything...perhaps on the inside arm or something.

Good Luck!

OK, status update.

It's not screen printed officially, they're heat-sealed letters. I tried a hair dryer and water and it works, barely, and there's blue underneath the white, but it'll take a lifetime to get the stuff off as it disintegrates into tiny flakes.

My sister works for a screen printing and embroidery company and she said she might be able to do something with one of their machines, so that's my next step.

After that, if that doesn't work, I will probably try a hot iron and Goo Gone or something like that.

PapelbonSpaceship.png

bannerlong.jpg

There is a solvent that removes heat-sealed letters. It's available from Stahls in one-quart containers. You wet the inside of the jersey under what you want to remove and after a few seconds the letter or number should peel right off. After, clean the front of the jersey of any glue residue that's still there. After the area dries I recommend washing the jersey using a liquid dtergent (no bleach) and warm water. Then air-dry the jersey. Be very, very careful, the smell of that stuff will give you a good buzz. Don't use it near flames or heat. And don't have any cuts or other wounds on your hands when working with it. It stings like crazy! I've had a heat-seal machine since 1969 and have used gallons of this stuff. Good luck!

There is a solvent that removes heat-sealed letters. It's available from Stahls in one-quart containers. You wet the inside of the jersey under what you want to remove and after a few seconds the letter or number should peel right off. After, clean the front of the jersey of any glue residue that's still there. After the area dries I recommend washing the jersey using a liquid dtergent (no bleach) and warm water. Then air-dry the jersey. Be very, very careful, the smell of that stuff will give you a good buzz. Don't use it near flames or heat. And don't have any cuts or other wounds on your hands when working with it. It stings like crazy! I've had a heat-seal machine since 1969 and have used gallons of this stuff. Good luck!

Is there a product or a brand name of this substance?

And I don't think we have Stahls in Canada, what kind of store are they?

PapelbonSpaceship.png

bannerlong.jpg

Stahl's is one of the wholesalers that provides heat press vinyl and twill products. Bulldog probably knows way more about the chemical than I do, but I do hear that it can peel off the vinyl quite well.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Acetone will remove heat pressed lettering. Just wet the inside of the jersey around the number and letters and they will peel off after just a few moments. I have been doing this for years without any problem. ( Always test an small unseen area first)

Archived