Pittsburgh MLS Concept

Rampart

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The crest is based on the City Seal. It's the coat of arms used by the Pitt family (William Pitt, whom the city is named after) Since William Pitt was English, it has a nice Premier League/Football League feel to it.

I really didn't want to use an Adidas template, but this is a concept for MLS (when in Rome).

This is my first attempt at a concept. With the recent discussion of Pittsburgh looking towards MLS in the future, I decided to design a "classic" look with ties to the city's history.

pittsburgh-mls.gif

Love, love, love, love,l ove, love, love it. I would buy those in a second. Love how you incorporated the crest of the city. I would say that more MLS cities need to do this, but most of their city crests suuuuuck.

A few things though. I would love to see old style soccer balls replace the ones you have. I think it would look awesome. Also, I know this is fictional for right now, but since the Pittsburgh Riverhounds have signed an agreement with the English club Everton, I thought instead of soccer balls have gold wreaths like the ones Everton has on their crest. They have one on either side of the tower on their crest but Pittsburgh could have three.

Other than that, I love the concept.

I dont like replacing the three golden eagles with soccer balls. the eagles have symbolism. I forget the representation... but they probably shouldnt be taken out.

Anyways. I love how you did this. Alot of teams in Europe use city crests, and this really shows Pittsburgh's off well. And being associated wiht a Premier Leauge team, its good to look like a Premier Leauge team. Also, I like how it shows off that Black and Gold arent just the colors of our teams, but the official city colors (even for years before any teams here existed).

I also love the Heinz sponsorship. I like how it isnt obvious sponsorship also. Anyone wouldve used US Steel as a sponsor. Other companies I can think of include Alcoa, PNC, Bayer, Iron City Beer, & Highmark. I would say Mellon but since they merged wiht Bank of NY to become Bank of NY Mellon, it would jus tlook stupid to have a NY bank on a Pittsburgh jersey.

oBIgzrL.png

Honestly, I couldn't imagine a Pittsburgh soccer concept looking too much different from this. You put it all together nicely, and every element works aesthetically as well as civically. Well done.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Love how you incorporated the crest of the city. I would say that more MLS cities need to do this, but most of their city crests suuuuuck.

A few things though. I would love to see old style soccer balls replace the ones you have.

I think I remember Don Garber saying recently that when MLS was formed, all of thier logos were designed by Nike. They went more of the artsy-fartsy route with the logos rather than incorporating a city's image into it (Case in point Dallas Burn; now a beautiful FC Dallas logo).

I thought about using old style soccer balls, but I'm sure too many people would wonder why there are volleyballs on a soccer logo. I also wanted to play around with the eagles in the circles, but I'm having a tough time trying to find a nice high-res version of the city seal.

As far as the Riverhounds go; Years ago I was making sales calls for a printing company and stopped by thier offices on the South Side. Before I left, I asked thier maketing person "Why not Black & Gold?". She told me that they had gotten this company that deals with corporate identity to come up with something for them. The company chose the colors maroon, brown and metallic gold, and told them that those are the colors that they should use. I guess the corporate identity company didn't understand the people and the city of Pittsburgh very much.

In my opinion for Pittsburgh to really embrace a team (especially a new one), Black & Gold goes a long way to helping that.

If anyone has any use for this logo (like the new ownership group of the Riverhounds, hint, hint), let me know.

I just had a thought...

What if, to somewhat modernize the logo, you replaced the castle with the skyline of Pittsburgh? I think it'd combine the eras of Pittsburgh together, logowise - kind of reflecting on the name of the club, seeing as it somewhat leans to the history of Pittsburgh as a city. I could say more on this, but its self-explanatory once you think about it. :D

http://www.pittsburghskyline.com/

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

I just had a thought...

What if, to somewhat modernize the logo, you replaced the castle with the skyline of Pittsburgh? I think it'd combine the eras of Pittsburgh together, logowise - kind of reflecting on the name of the club, seeing as it somewhat leans to the history of Pittsburgh as a city. I could say more on this, but its self-explanatory once you think about it. :D

I wouldn't mess with the 'castle' personally. I believe the castle actually is representing Ft. Duquesne which later became Ft. Pitt which is how Pittsburgh came to be. In essence the fort represents Pittsburghs' origins.

I just had a thought...

I wouldn't mess with the 'castle' personally. I believe the castle actually is representing Ft. Duquesne which later became Ft. Pitt which is how Pittsburgh came to be. In essence the fort represents Pittsburghs' origins.

That is true. And I agree. I would not change the castle.

Of course, the fort(s) never looked like a castle, but that probably goes without saying.

oBIgzrL.png

This looks really nice, and the colors are appropriate. However, I'm not sure if it would work, for only one reason: The similarity to the current team closest to Pittsburgh--Columbus.

Really, those jerseys could easily be mistaken for the Crew, aside from the fact that the lighter kit is white instead of yellow. What about incorporating some of the light blue from the crest into it as well?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

This looks really nice, and the colors are appropriate. However, I'm not sure if it would work, for only one reason: The similarity to the current team closest to Pittsburgh--Columbus.

Really, those jerseys could easily be mistaken for the Crew, aside from the fact that the lighter kit is white instead of yellow. What about incorporating some of the light blue from the crest into it as well?

The penguins were able to convince the NHL to let them use black and gold to the protest of Boston... Im sure as long as theyre getting another team, the MLS wouldnt care if they looked similar.

oBIgzrL.png

The home kit does look a lot like Columbus. But if MLS can find a way to have 7 red teams, they can have two black & yellow teams.

I'd use the Fire's template and put the checkerboard pattern (is that Bavarian?) on the middle stripe.

The penguins were able to convince the NHL to let them use black and gold to the protest of Boston... Im sure as long as theyre getting another team, the MLS wouldnt care if they looked similar.

I suppose that's true, but given that the two teams would likely be pretty big rivals, there'd need to be something that differentiates the two. Adding that light blue to the scheme would make it more unique.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived