Buffalo Sabres Edge Concept

js °

After I saw the screens from the latest EA player creation screen, I decided to use the model as the base for a new template. And for its first use, I opted throw down a new concept which merges the original Sabres look, with a newer Edged style to it. Love to hear what you guys think of them ...

sabres_uni_01.jpg

sabres_uni_01a.jpg

The white is probably a 8/10

The blue is probably a 5/10

Why?

They both lose points for the use of that darker (bronzier) gold. They would look better with just the use of blue, white and gold/yellow.

The designs are quite nice, but the blue loses extra points simple because I've ALWAYS hated Buffalo's retro blue jerseys and their lack of white anywhere on them. They have such a pretty retro white with a perfect balance of the colors and then you have the blue one that just looks stupid.

The other points they lose are for, simply enough, the logos. It's no offence (so don't take it as that), but I've never liked the secondary logos (I think their current B-sword is perfect for a shoulder logo) and although your primary kicks the living **** out of the Buffaslug there's something about your Buffalo that just doesn't work for me. In fact, also, if I were to rate the primary logo as to how it looks on each jersey, it looks two times better on the white because there is actually white on the jersey... you have the blue one with this screaming spot of white on the front and it takes away from everything else, there's just no balance (and that's not entirely your fault, since you were only modernizing the old jerseys) but you do have the control as a concept designer to at least try it out.

Nevertheless, great work as always. Whether I like it or hate it, you always do quality work. :D

Thanks for the feedback guys ...

Why?

They both lose points for the use of that darker (bronzier) gold. They would look better with just the use of blue, white and gold/yellow.

The designs are quite nice, but the blue loses extra points simple because I've ALWAYS hated Buffalo's retro blue jerseys and their lack of white anywhere on them. They have such a pretty retro white with a perfect balance of the colors and then you have the blue one that just looks stupid.

The other points they lose are for, simply enough, the logos. It's no offence (so don't take it as that), but I've never liked the secondary logos (I think their current B-sword is perfect for a shoulder logo) and although your primary kicks the living **** out of the Buffaslug there's something about your Buffalo that just doesn't work for me. In fact, also, if I were to rate the primary logo as to how it looks on each jersey, it looks two times better on the white because there is actually white on the jersey... you have the blue one with this screaming spot of white on the front and it takes away from everything else, there's just no balance (and that's not entirely your fault, since you were only modernizing the old jerseys) but you do have the control as a concept designer to at least try it out.

Nevertheless, great work as always. Whether I like it or hate it, you always do quality work. :D

I appreciate the input capn (as well as the kind words) ... but you'll have to excuse me while I take your critique of the blues with a grain of salt. You mentioned that you've ALWAYS hated the blues, so we can assume that any attempt at integrating the core of what made the original blues so nice to alot of fans is going to automatically put a bad taste in your mouth. I completely respect that, but I don't think the bulk of Sabres fans feel the same about the original blues. In fact the much larger percentage have pointed out to me how they loved the reduced colors ... the Sweden look. A couple different fans have referred to it as the purest version of Blue & Gold (only cuz those are the dominating colors).

The original Sabres blues had a white outline on the numbers, and gold lettering for the nameplate ... I looked at this and started to question it. I understand the desire to make the numbers more legible ... but I don't think its NEEDED in this case ... gold on blue is plenty of contrast. Also, I was looking at it from a symbolic standpoint, rather than aesthetic ... why make it a point to avoid white striping completely, only to then drop in the color in only the least significant way? So looking at what was white on there .. I decided to play with meaning as well.

By eliminating that white outline, the purpose of white now changed. If you've never read the myth of the White Buffalo, please google it, its a very interesting religious tale told by the Native Americans, in which the White Buffalo Spirit's message and purpose has many parallels to other great religious leaders (in fact, converted Lakota Christians have basically merged the stories of the White Buffalo Woman, with those of Jesus and Mary). Also, the super sheened sabres appear white, and they are known as a weapon carried by leaders, and also as swift and strong on offense as well as defense. So, by making the player name white as well ... symbollically, we are pointing out that the white elements are both individually significant, and also an important part of a triad that makes a whole ... Buffalo ... Sabre ... Player. All different, all the same.

I know you can easily read that and say, 'yeah, but who the hell is going to pick up on these things" ... and the truth is ... pretty much nobody. But thats not the point. As designers, we have the ability to tell great stories behind our aesthetically pleasing ideas, and those stories should have just as much weight as the beauty of a design. Also, by surrounding yourself with visually strong symbols with positive and victorious meanings, you can affect the overall morale and emotion of both players and fans alike. This is the very basis for why I think alot of us love this particular facet of design more than others (or maybe I'm just speaking for myself).

I appreciate the input capn (as well as the kind words)...

...This is the very basis for why I think alot of us love this particular facet of design more than others (or maybe I'm just speaking for myself).

Well, that was the longest answer to a concept criticism I've ever seen! :)

From a purely visual standpoint, though, I'd be interested to see the blue jersey with some white striping and number trim mixed in. While I understand the reasons between keeping the jersey blue and gold, it makes the set inconsistent. The road has a white base with two colors of striping. The home jersey has a blue base with just one color of striping. It's especially jarring since both jerseys use the same template (minus the shoulders). If you really feel strongly about the two-color thing, maybe try making the roads gold instead of white; then you can use only blue for the striping and the set would be consistent.

I have loved the "New Blue and Gold" sets for a while, however, these, I'm not as big on. It feels like, with the futuristic font(is that the current font they're using? Looks similar if it's slightly modified), and the huge splotches of blue under the arms clash with the logos and the striping, and just make it feel a little disjointed.

I'd buy them.

From a vintage look, I'd give it a 9/10.

The blue, I have to agree, history aside, I'd like to see it with some white mixed in. I always found it a bit odd to have no white at all on the road (then the road, now home) jersey. I think some white to counterbalance the gold would help the overall look. I wouldn't mind seeing with pure yellow instead of the modern gold either. Another thing I would've done is to keep the white going down to the cuff on the sleeves. (like how the Blue Jackets or Capitals have theirs). The stripes seem to end kind of abruptly and then it's just all blue.

Aside from those few nitpicks, the concept looks great. I'd have no problem buying a jersey like that if that's what they had gone with.

I appreciate your artistic style and the development of your take on the logo. However, the painted look you give to these images really muddies the striping on the jerseys, which is the focus of the update. Do you have a clean image to post? As it stands, I'd say incorporate more white. Maybe if I saw a clean concept, I'd think otherwise.

Thanks.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Thanks for the feedback guys ...

Why?

I appreciate the input capn (as well as the kind words) ... but you'll have to excuse me while I take your critique of the blues with a grain of salt. You mentioned that you've ALWAYS hated the blues, so we can assume that any attempt at integrating the core of what made the original blues so nice to alot of fans is going to automatically put a bad taste in your mouth. I completely respect that, but I don't think the bulk of Sabres fans feel the same about the original blues. In fact the much larger percentage have pointed out to me how they loved the reduced colors ... the Sweden look. A couple different fans have referred to it as the purest version of Blue & Gold (only cuz those are the dominating colors).

The original Sabres blues had a white outline on the numbers, and gold lettering for the nameplate ... I looked at this and started to question it. I understand the desire to make the numbers more legible ... but I don't think its NEEDED in this case ... gold on blue is plenty of contrast. Also, I was looking at it from a symbolic standpoint, rather than aesthetic ... why make it a point to avoid white striping completely, only to then drop in the color in only the least significant way? So looking at what was white on there .. I decided to play with meaning as well.

By eliminating that white outline, the purpose of white now changed. If you've never read the myth of the White Buffalo, please google it, its a very interesting religious tale told by the Native Americans, in which the White Buffalo Spirit's message and purpose has many parallels to other great religious leaders (in fact, converted Lakota Christians have basically merged the stories of the White Buffalo Woman, with those of Jesus and Mary). Also, the super sheened sabres appear white, and they are known as a weapon carried by leaders, and also as swift and strong on offense as well as defense. So, by making the player name white as well ... symbollically, we are pointing out that the white elements are both individually significant, and also an important part of a triad that makes a whole ... Buffalo ... Sabre ... Player. All different, all the same.

I know you can easily read that and say, 'yeah, but who the hell is going to pick up on these things" ... and the truth is ... pretty much nobody. But thats not the point. As designers, we have the ability to tell great stories behind our aesthetically pleasing ideas, and those stories should have just as much weight as the beauty of a design. Also, by surrounding yourself with visually strong symbols with positive and victorious meanings, you can affect the overall morale and emotion of both players and fans alike. This is the very basis for why I think alot of us love this particular facet of design more than others (or maybe I'm just speaking for myself).

I'm really glad you didn't take any of my comments the wrong way (God knows so many people take **** the wrong way lol). Thanks for the lengthy response. :D

I like where you're coming from with the whole myth of the White Buffalo, and like you touched on yourself, really unless someone is told the meaning they won't pick up on it. I just think when it ultimately comes down to what a sports team (in any sport) wears, it should, at the very core, just look good, whether it has a good story or not. If you were to just tell me the story of the old Canucks "V" jerseys (without showing me a picture), about how it was supposed to make the players see the "V" and think of Victory, I'd say "wow, that's pretty cool. A good way to look at it..." Then you actually see them and you say "OMG! MY ****ING EYES!" I DO stress, you're jerseys are no where near that, in fact I like them (the white more so) quite a bit.

The blue, like I mentioned, is only because of the lack of white. I can see Sabres fans loving it, and I've got no problem with that. Tradition really is whatever came around first, it's really hard for anyone to let go of that... hell, even hint at messing with any of the original 6 (no matter if you have a good design or not) people are ready to line up with the pitch forks and torches. I've seen some modded versions of the Sabres blue with white striping added and, to me at least, they look perfect. It just creates a balance. For my eyes, balancing out the blue would jump it up to an 8 just the same as the white with really just the logos holding it back that tiny twinge... in fact, just to use the same idea of the white buffalo and the color white holding a deeper meaning, why can't the incorporation of white striping hold that same zeal? If you think about it, a teams identity lies in its logos and its uniforms... players and numbers are ever changing... the uniforms should be that deep, inspiring representation (if you want to have a deep, inspiring story behind it.)

Keep up the excellent work. :D

Even though I've never been a huge fan of the Sabres' blue uniform set (mostly because I think that their original logo is VERY overrated, and yes, I am a Sabres fan), I generally like your design. I definitely (!!!!) prefer your version of their logo and think that is what they should have gone with. My biggest criticism is that I personally do not care for the stripes at the bottom of the jersey not going all the way around the jersey. I realize that there might be some issues with the Edge template, but it just makes the stripes seem too truncated for me. I also do not care much for the blue side panels on the white jersey. It makes the white part of the jersey look like a bib to me. So, long-story-short, I like everything alot except for the bottom strips and side panels. Great job!!!

Even though I've never been a huge fan of the Sabres' blue uniform set (mostly because I think that their original logo is VERY overrated, and yes, I am a Sabres fan), I generally like your design. I definitely (!!!!) prefer your version of their logo and think that is what they should have gone with. My biggest criticism is that I personally do not care for the stripes at the bottom of the jersey not going all the way around the jersey. I realize that there might be some issues with the Edge template, but it just makes the stripes seem too truncated for me. I also do not care much for the blue side panels on the white jersey. It makes the white part of the jersey look like a bib to me. So, long-story-short, I like everything alot except for the bottom strips and side panels. Great job!!!

I really like the away concept but don't like the home concept due to the perpendicular collision between the horizontal strips on the front and the side panels. But I think that is more an illustration of the styling experiments that RBK is attempting this year. Otherwise John nailed it...again.

Teams with iconic looks like Detroit, Boston, Montreal, and Chicago are lucky to not be too affected. Many other teams will be "templated" and while the players may enjoy the performance of the new jerseys, I have a feeling many fans are not going to be too impressed with the Edge uniform enough to buy it. They don't care if the uniform weighs a little less after a beer is spilled on it than their old ones.

I'm really not a fan of combining vertical elements like side panels (or gussets?) with horizontal stripes. I do like the sleeves, but maybe the lower-front area would look better (or at least more consistent) if the stripes were on the sides, and not jammed into that lower front panel.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's about as good as can be done within the confines of the EDGE template with strict adherence to how the template has been used thus far. So my dislike isn't with anything you did but more with the cut itself.

First off - the blue Sabres original sweaters are the best in the NHL, past or present. And I can't stand the Sabres. But I own one. Blue and gold, all the stripes, the White Buffalo, the red eye... it's all just perfect. As BBTV said, it's hard to integrate the traditionally horizontal elements of that sweater onto a design that stress vertical striping. The gaps in the stripes near the bottom hem look awful when broken up by the side panels. The dark underarms on the sleeves really detract from the white sweater. It pulls the viewer's eye away from the most important element (team crest) and draws it to the gutters of the body, and of the sweater. I don't understand why Reebok wants so much attention on the margins of their gear.

That said, you made the best of a crappy template, and did a nice update. If they'd gone to these instead of the Buffaslug, I would have been fine with it.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived