New Iowa State Helmet

footballfiji

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved ISU's cardinal helmets and have no idea why they would want to ditch them for something so bland, unless Chizik was a huge fan of the plain white helmets at Texas. Perhaps they should go with a modernized version of one of the gold helmets they wore during the 80's and early 90's.

I loved ISU's cardinal helmets and have no idea why they would want to ditch them for something so bland, unless Chizik was a huge fan of the plain white helmets at Texas. Perhaps they should go with a modernized version of one of the gold helmets they wore during the 80's and early 90's.

I strongly disagree. Why even a cardinal? What do cardinals have to do with cyclones? Why associate a strong force of nature with an animal I killed as a 7 year old with a sling shot? Since when do cardinals have teeth. One of the dumbest logos ever.

I strongly disagree. Why even a cardinal? What do cardinals have to do with cyclones? Why associate a strong force of nature with an animal I killed as a 7 year old with a sling shot? Since when do cardinals have teeth. One of the dumbest logos ever.

I was referring to the color of the helmets, not the bird-in-a-blender logo.

I voted for the ISU as it looked best with the uniforms for 2008. The choices were, not the greatest. I would've prefered the "Cyclones" on a yellow helmet like it was in the late 80's and early 90's. Actually I would've loved them to bring back the old Iowa State "cyclone" logo.

Yet another collegiate athletic team picks up the Berthold City typeface to label its jerseys and/or logo wordmark...and bastardizes the hell out of it. Sort of like how so many schools used to do with the Demonized typeface (which itself was a SUPER-bastardized version of the same Berthold City family, IIRC...).

They all blow. Boring. Boring. Not distinctive at all. And nothing about anything in that package even REMOTELY triggers a connotation with a cyclone--which, as most of us know, is another word for tornado...you know, fast, violent wind, moving swiftly...POWERFUL?

Ain't a singular damn thing about anything in this package that comes close to that...they may as well rename themselves the Iowa State Cornstalks for all that...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On the link there is a place for feedback. They don't give you much space, but here's what I wrote:

"Honestly, the white helmets do NOT go with your uniforms. The designs are bland at best, and would look rediculous with white jersey and yellow pants."

If y'all think they blow, let them know.

You think they're bland, I think they're classically understated. You think they'll look "rediculous" with the white jersey/yellow pants, I think it would work wonderfully.

I'm partial to the third helmet with the script CYCLONES, but all three, in color and logo, are a VAST IMPROVEMENT over what they had last year with that stuck-in-the-90s cyclone bird logo, ridiculous typeface and monochromatic red look.

Yet another collegiate athletic team picks up the Berthold City typeface to label its jerseys and/or logo wordmark...and bastardizes the hell out of it. Sort of like how so many schools used to do with the Demonized typeface (which itself was a SUPER-bastardized version of the same Berthold City family, IIRC...).

They all blow. Boring. Boring. Not distinctive at all. And nothing about anything in that package even REMOTELY triggers a connotation with a cyclone--which, as most of us know, is another word for tornado...you know, fast, violent wind, moving swiftly...POWERFUL?

Ain't a singular damn thing about anything in this package that comes close to that...they may as well rename themselves the Iowa State Cornstalks for all that...

Frankly, what CAN you do with a hurricane/cyclone? Take a look at Miami's U logo. Take a look at Carolina's swirl thingy. It's just not an easy concept to readily represent with a decent logo. Try too hard and you've got the stupid bird in a blender thing they've been saddled with for far too long. Sometimes you just have to step back, take a deep breath, and go simple.

I was referring to the color of the helmets, not the bird-in-a-blender logo.

My fault, I apologize, I misread. I agree with you on that, I like the red shells.

KDYSEUXFQVMQDOH.20070816161907.jpg

This helmet looks like it's out of a high school catalog. Kind of like what they did recently at New Mexico State. Another school letting their design-deficient coach have too much input.

The only thing ironic about this is Nike doing the uniforms. Their crack team of crazy designers must be pulling their hair out.

Archived