Freddy Keiaho's (Indy Colts) wacky helmet....

B-Rich

While watching last night's debacle of a football game (for Saints fans, at least :cry: ), I noticed Indianapolis player Freddy Keiaho had the one of the weirdest-looking and weirdly-shaped helmets I had ever seen. It was noticeably wider across the top, much narrower and thinner-looking at the bottom, and had an odd slant towards the front. It ALMOST looked like a lacrosse helmet or one of those newer batting helmets. A web search gave me the following two views of him wearing said helmet:

Keiaho.JPGkeiaho2.jpg

Anyone else notice this, or have any idea what type of helmet he wears?

It is what it is.

While watching last night's debacle of a football game (for Saints fans, at least :cry: ), I noticed Indianapolis player Freddy Keiaho had the one of the weirdest-looking and weirdly-shaped helmets I had ever seen. It was noticeably wider across the top, much narrower and thinner-looking at the bottom, and had an odd slant towards the front. It ALMOST looked like a lacrosse helmet or one of those newer batting helmets. A web search gave me the following two views of him wearing said helmet:

Keiaho.JPGkeiaho2.jpg

That looks like a Schutt DNA. I think this style is the only one worn by Penn State.

It's where I sit.

Don't be surprised if you see more of these odd looking helmets on players in the near future to combat all of the concussions. Commissioner Goodell would be smart to do whatever he can to remedy this issue and I think these helmets are a positive step in that direction.

You would think that another step would be having more players actually wear mouthpieces, such as a shock doctor. Which, from the website "help protect against concussions and create a channel for improved breathing." From what I got from my high school football coach the mouthpiece is one of the vital parts to preventing concussion, along with the helmet.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

You would think that another step would be having more players actually wear mouthpieces, such as a shock doctor. Which, from the website "help protect against concussions and create a channel for improved breathing." From what I got from my high school football coach the mouthpiece is one of the vital parts to preventing concussion, along with the helmet.

I read somewhere that something along the lines of 60-70% of all concussions come from being hit on the jaw. I think the Revoltion and Schutt helmets help prevent that better than the old style helmets. I still think they should be able to come up with something better, but I bet what ever they come up with everyone in this forum would tear it apart. ^_^

I took this picture at the BYU-Arizona game. As you can see, there are a lot of players wearing either the Schutt or Revolution helmets. I think the equipment manager needs to revisit his logo placement on the Schutt helmets though, because he's got the logos placed a little too far back (especially the QB's helmet).

IMG_4553.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

NVM

speaking of helmets, what do you guys think about these?

pg2_u_bjacobshelmet_450.jpg

pg2_u_toomerhelmet_450.jpg

[featured in past uniwatch]

Hey, if it helps prevent concussions then I guess its okay. But man does that look bad! Not as bad as those helmets some of the old Bills wore that looked like half of a helmet on top of a helmet. Remember those?

I don't understand why a helmet can't be made to prevent concussions while simultaneously avoiding the Blade Runner or Terminator look.

I took this picture at the BYU-Arizona game. As you can see, there are a lot of players wearing either the Schutt or Revolution helmets. I think the equipment manager needs to revisit his logo placement on the Schutt helmets though, because he's got the logos placed a little too far back (especially the QB's helmet).

IMG_4553.jpg

I think the logos are placed so far back because the chinstrap would cover up the logo. The DNA and Revolution helmets have the chinstraps that go up through the facemask and can obstruct the logo.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Keiaho.JPGkeiaho2.jpg

That looks like a Schutt DNA. I think this style is the only one worn by Penn State.

actually alot of NCAA players have adopted this helmet.... they've been around for 3 years.

spacer.png

The helmets that re in question, Schutt's DNA and Riddell's Revolution, are tow of the best ones on the market today. Riddell has already removed it's VSR4 from production and Schutt has removed the ProAirII from theirs. I use both the Revo and the DNA and my gusy are 50/50 on liking and disliking them. The ones that will be around in two years from now will be upset when they find out that the older helmet models will not be around in my inventory.

In regards to Schutt's new helmet, the Ion, I saw it on the field last night in the ND/Penn State match-up. I'm am going to try to get one so that I can use it on one of my guys and see what they think. When they saw it during the Ravens/Giants pre-season game on NBC last month, they really liked the look and were curious about it. According to my sources at Schutt, the mask has to traditional clips on the top, but the sides of the mask lock into the side of the helmet. AS soon as I find out more, or see one I will let y'all know.

dodgers-1.png

If you want to get into a discussion about the helmets, then you found your huckleberry. We as equipment managers know that there will never be a helmet that's created that will prevent concussions. With that being said, the studies done by both companies has shown that there is a reduction in the chance of one occurring because of the design of the helmet and the padding and air system inside the shell.

The Revo's shell design was created to move the energy of the blow out through the chin as opposed through the jaws because of the nerves in the jaw. The DNA's design is that way because of blow deflection. The Ion's I'm sure is designed for that way for the same reasoning. If you wanna know more, PM me and I'll hook you up with the info.

dodgers-1.png

I was watching the Michigan-Oregon travesty the other day and noticed one of the Wolverine players wearing one of the Shutt helmets. I couldn't help but notice how horrible it made the wing design look. Other helmets, like Penn State and BYU look fine with just a small logo, but Michigan's looks awful! I guess if the helmets work I'm all for them. The Revolutions looked strange to me at first, but they've kinda grown on me. I always use them when I create players on Madden and NCAA!

Archived