Colorado Avalanche name choices

roxfan00

If you had to choose the name for the Nordiques when they came over to Colorado...from this list what name would you choose?

Avslogo001.jpg

Here are the old prototype logos for the Avalanche.

Avslogo003.jpg

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

They forgot the "Rocky Mountain eXtreme," which was bandied about right after the team was moved... ^_^

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

They forgot the "Rocky Mountain eXtreme," which was bandied about right after the team was moved... ^_^

Old articles.

Published on July 26, 1995. Article 1 of 1 found.

SOURCE: BOB KRAVITZ

ROCKY MOUNTAIN NEWS SPORTS COLUMNIST

ANGIE REESE CONTRIBUTED TO THIS REPORT.

Denver's National Hockey League team will be the Colorado Avalanche and its color scheme will be burgundy, black and another color to be determined, a source close to Comsat, the team's owner, said Tuesday.

The name, logo and colors will be unveiled Aug. 10, team officials announced. The source, who requested anonymity, refuted a report the team would be named the Rocky Mountain Avalanche. "It's definitely Colorado," he said.... 1156 words, Rocky Mountain News (CO)

Via "The Hockey News":

In 1995, then-owner Charlie Lyons wanted to rename the Quebec Nordiques the "Rocky Mountain Extreme", but a public outcry against it forced management to let fans vote eight proposed names [thank God]. Avalanche won against competitors such as Black Bears, Wranglers, and Outlaws. Colorado was the preferred dateline, not Rocky Mountain or Denver. The logo, at first ridiculed for looking like a melting mountain of soft-serve ice cream with a puck attached, soon became cool among Denver youth.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

In 1995, then-owner Charlie Lyons wanted to rename the Quebec Nordiques the "Rocky Mountain Extreme", but a public outcry against it forced management to let fans vote eight proposed names [thank God].

Coloradans were no fun.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

In 1995, then-owner Charlie Lyons wanted to rename the Quebec Nordiques the "Rocky Mountain Extreme", but a public outcry against it forced management to let fans vote eight proposed names [thank God].

Coloradans were no fun.

Or people with some sense. Thank the hockey gods that Arte Moreno wasn't part of the group!

Or people with some sense.

Ya think?

I remember seeing the Avalanche uniforms for the first time in a pre-season game and just thinking they were the worst uniforms i had ever seen... this was back with the lighter burgundy, and the black helmets with the white uniforms.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I see on that pic.. the Avalanche logo with the double Mountaintops the one in the middle bottom of that 2nd pic...that one looked cool.. but I notice something..the current wordmark for the Avalanche seems to be a bit similiar to that one with the A now curved with the mountain snow going off....

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

I remember seeing the Avalanche uniforms for the first time in a pre-season game and just thinking they were the worst uniforms i had ever seen... this was back with the lighter burgundy, and the black helmets with the white uniforms.

Avalanche1.gif

What's happened to change your opinion?

Is it just that other jerseys are even worse?

For me, living Down Under at the time, we got no news of the move, and the first time I saw them was during coverage of the playoffs.

(Back then we only got coverage during the playoffs. Now we get even less coverage, due to the revised TV deal since the strike)

I thought they must have been an expansion team.

It was only when they showed fans in the stands with signs saying "Merci Quebec" that I twigged that this was the transplanted Nordiques.

Being the owner of a Nordiques jersey, I was disappointed.

I've hated them since.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

But, of course, you've already said that's a product of the team moving, not (necessarily) the look itself.

Well, probably a bit of both.

I didn't like them much to start off with, but the rest of it makes it worse, sure.

For one thing, the black pants.

It's looks like they're trying some sort of throwback uni thing, but it's not working.

Black looks out of place to me, given you hardly notice it on the jerseys.

It ends up with some sort of cobbled together, social league sort of look.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

As a lifelong, Detroit Red Wings fan, I hate the Colorado Avalanche (just kidding).

I've always liked their logo and uniforms. They haven't been in Denver that long, yet they established the "A" identity that is recognizeable.

Archived