Special unis for LSU-Tulane game?

Nomad

I saw on another site that LSU, and probably Tulane, will wear special uniforms during their game on September 29, to commemorate their first meeting in the Superdome since Katrina. The jerseys will be auctioned off afterward. Not great looking, but I have no problem with them as a one-time-only thing. And it's for charity, so...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where can I get one because they're pretty sweet (and I'm an Ohio State fan).

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Tulane has a football team?

Sorry, had to do it. But according to the NCAA record book, Tulane only had an average of 18,942 fans per game meaning LSU gets more fan per game than LSU does all season. This is gonna be a hell of a "road" game for the Tigers.

I'm sure this is nothing new to people in Louisiana, but it surprised me to see a southern team in a higher mid-major draw so little.

Sorry, had to do it. But according to the NCAA record book, Tulane only had an average of 18,942 fans per game meaning LSU gets more fan per game than LSU does all season. This is gonna be a hell of a "road" game for the Tigers.

I'm sure this is nothing new to people in Louisiana, but it surprised me to see a southern team in a higher mid-major draw so little.

Tulane is a private university with a heavy emphasis on academics (much like Rice, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Duke) and has struggled in football for most of the last 50 years or more (don't have time to do the exact research). They considered cutting football a few years ago. Tulane is sort of in the same boat as Vandy, which focuses on academics, has higher admissions standards for athletes than the average school and is overshadowed by a public school with a bigger athletic budget (Tennessee).

And the reason the game is going to be played in New Orleans (and four more times in the eight seasons after this one) is because LSU's ticket office will sell a minimum allotment of 40,000 tickets each for the five games at the Superdome, and each ticket will cost a minimum of $40. This is according to a story written in the Baton Rouge paper two years ago when the schools announced they would resume their football series. Figure in that, plus minimal road expenses, and LSU likely will turn a profit off the games in N.O.

Tulane is a private university with a heavy emphasis on academics (much like Rice, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Duke) and has struggled in football for most of the last 50 years or more (don't have time to do the exact research). They considered cutting football a few years ago. Tulane is sort of in the same boat as Vandy, which focuses on academics, has higher admissions standards for athletes than the average school and is overshadowed by a public school with a bigger athletic budget (Tennessee).

And the reason the game is going to be played in New Orleans (and four more times in the eight seasons after this one) is because LSU's ticket office will sell a minimum allotment of 40,000 tickets each for the five games at the Superdome, and each ticket will cost a minimum of $40. This is according to a story written in the Baton Rouge paper two years ago when the schools announced they would resume their football series. Figure in that, plus minimal road expenses, and LSU likely will turn a profit off the games in N.O.

I understand why they're not as competitive as LSU, I just don't understand why almost no one is going to the games. Other than Rice, all of the schools you named still draw better than Tulane in spite of the emphasis on collegiate sports over pros in the deep south.

Damn new posts and I thought we'd have pix of the Tulane version. But alas just rantings of a yankee. No fair comparing LSU crowds to all but a few others ion all of college football. Few programs have the rabid fans away or home than those that follow LSU.

So where are the pics of these special unis (vague attempt to steer thread on topic)...

RobbyBox2.jpg

I understand why they're not as competitive as LSU, I just don't understand why almost no one is going to the games. Other than Rice, all of the schools you named still draw better than Tulane in spite of the emphasis on collegiate sports over pros in the deep south.

As for why Tulane doesn't draw, I explained it above. Low fan base because it's a private school, they don't win, it's Saints territory and New Orleans is not an affluent city. The other schools I mentioned in my comparison are in bigger conferences, meaning they probably get a lot more opposing fans, too. Tulane is in Conference USA. 'Nuff said.

Damn new posts and I thought we'd have pix of the Tulane version. But alas just rantings of a yankee. No fair comparing LSU crowds to all but a few others ion all of college football. Few programs have the rabid fans away or home than those that follow LSU.

So where are the pics of these special unis (vague attempt to steer thread on topic)...

Well, otherwilds, my attempt to explain why Tulane doesn't draw well for football is not the ranting of a Yankee. I live in Louisiana and have a pretty good knowledge of the situation. I was pretty expansive on that merely because someone asked and I didn't want to get shouted down for a simple answer. Sometimes threads naturally move on to another discussion. Deal with it. If I had a nickel for every time a discussion on teams wearing white at home turned into "the Cowboys' silvers and Saints' golds don't match", I could retire. There are plenty of repetitive threads on this board, and it drives me nuts. But I deal with it instead of whining like a six-year old.

Back on topic, there are no pics of Tulane yet, there is a link above to the rumored LSU jersey, and this was all discussed above. But since you obviously couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread and follow the link trail in the first post, here's the photo of the rumored LSU uni.

lsuKTRAgall.JPG

My attitude on this is crappy, otherwilds, because you decided to be an a** about it yourself. Geez...

Tulane's football problems really began in the 1950s when football was de-emphasized. They have produced some pretty good teams since then but the good seasons are few and far between.

They had a perfect 12-0 season back in 1998. According to Wikipedia, current WVU head coach Rich Rodriguez was their interim coordinator/interim head coach.

By the way, that LSU jersey above looks like it's a woman's cut.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm an architecture major. That's why I don't go to games.

Besides, at Tulane we will out think you and out drink you....we just really suck at football. The Superdome will be sold out for the game no doubt....but with a hell of a lot more purple and gold instead of olive green and blue. We'll get them back when baseball season comes around.

They had a perfect 12-0 season back in 1998. According to Wikipedia, current WVU head coach Rich Rodriguez was their interim coordinator/interim head coach.

It was Tommy Bowden who was the Tulane coach that year - but he did resign before the Liberty Bowl win, so that's probably where Rich Rodriguez comes into the picture.

kU6ns.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Does any college team in a NFL city draw well?

Just an example: the Miami Hurricanes.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Archived