NHL Winter Classic update

Top Shelf

Here are the official jerseys, as seen on shop.nhl.com, for the game. Note that they don't appear to be RBK Edge jerseys (no NHL shield on the V-Neck), despite being manufactured by Reebok. Go figure.

p4174071reg.jpgp4173986reg.jpg

Tim Horton approves

6052_1.JPGn310.JPG

Logo on the Penguins card is different than the one on the jersey he's wearing.

head explodes/

Actually they look pretty much the same to me

Yellow text vs. white text. Anyone?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here are the official jerseys, as seen on shop.nhl.com, for the game. Note that they don't appear to be RBK Edge jerseys (no NHL shield on the V-Neck), despite being manufactured by Reebok. Go figure.

Tim Horton approves

6052_1.JPGn310.JPG

head explodes/

Yeah, but that was back in 1972 or whatever. I'm sure the photo was recolored from black and white. Technology wasn't so sophisticated back then, you know.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Sabres' example looks like something out of 1979-80ish, given the fact that I do not see the small Sabre circle logo on the shoulders, and the V-neck collar. I think the logos were added to the shoulders around the early-mid 1980s.

UBwef0L.png

Is anyone going to this game?

I won 2 tickets on a radio show contest and I'm dying to know where my seats are located. The teams haven't released the tix just yet.

The morning before the game, many of us Sabre fans are doing a breakfast tailgate and you're welcome to meet up with us.

I missed out on tickets, and have been trying to listen for radio contests for tickets... but apparently I am missing them. A friend of mine is trying to pull some Golly connections to get us a couple, but I'm not holding out any hope for that. So suffice it to say that I'm jealous.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Tim Horton approves

6052_1.JPGn310.JPG

head explodes/

Yeah, but that was back in 1972 or whatever. I'm sure the photo was recolored from black and white. Technology wasn't so sophisticated back then, you know.

What about the photo of the jersey from 2007... with the white text... was that recoloured from back and white too?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

What about the photo of the jersey from 2007... with the white text... was that recoloured from back and white too?

I have no idea. I just think we can make allowances for 30-year-old trading cards and the level of detail they were able to provide in matching colors. Note that the classic jersey has white text with a yellow triangle, whereas the 30-year-old trading card solidly colors both logos. Perhaps they just split the difference. I'm thinking the Penguins logo is colored yellow because the "Penguins" text is as well, but really, I have no clue.

EDIT: And proving myself wrong, look here:

e6ff_1.JPG

I have no idea.

EDIT AGAIN: COMPLETELY unrelated, but while I was searching for hockey cards, I came across the following photo. I figured there would be at least one other person who appreciated it:

990486804_bf73f1971c_o.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Those looking for tickets, keep an eye on stubhub and the news papers in about a few weeks. when the sabres are below .500 the tickets will start popping up and dropping in price.

i am just going to get one day of from a scalper who probably bought too many.

2004RedSox.png

After seeing what the Penguins jerseys look like, I'm changing my mind. The Penguins look much better in yellow (or gold). Those powder blues just don't look good with a black and yellow logo. The Sabres, on the other hand, will look great for the game.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

After seeing what the Penguins jerseys look like, I'm changing my mind. The Penguins look much better in yellow (or gold). Those powder blues just don't look good with a black and yellow logo. The Sabres, on the other hand, will look great for the game.

The outer ring is navy blue, not black, and the triangle was only gold during the blue era because the city is sometiems called the "Golden Triangle". Inconsistency aside, these are some of the best jerseys theyve worn, and though I sitll think they shouldve gone with cup-era jerseys, i'll at least have one of my small dreams of seeing the pens play in blue again at least once fulfilled.

As I said above, the outer ring on the jersey is navy blue. So, considering the logo on the card not on the jersey is black, id just assume the card makers were being inaccurate or inconsistent.

oBIgzrL.png

The outer ring is navy blue, not black, and the triangle was only gold during the blue era because the city is sometiems called the "Golden Triangle". Inconsistency aside, these are some of the best jerseys theyve worn, and though I sitll think they shouldve gone with cup-era jerseys, i'll at least have one of my small dreams of seeing the pens play in blue again at least once fulfilled.

As I said above, the outer ring on the jersey is navy blue. So, considering the logo on the card not on the jersey is black, id just assume the card makers were being inaccurate or inconsistent.

I'm glad Pittsburgh went with powder blue. The colors will blend well on the ice together with Buffalo's white, blue and yellow. I'm assuming that's important since it's a special event. I wonder if Sidney will complain about the cold all night since he does have a tendency of being a crybaby.

My post was not in response to yours

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I meant that the penguin was black and the triangle was gold while the rest of the jersey was blue. I think that it is a nice looking jersey, but it's not the Pens best.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

My post was not in response to yours

Yeah, I knew that, I jsut failed to see the real meaning in your post, and maybe my response was unessicary, but that isnt the first time ive done that.

I meant that the penguin was black and the triangle was gold while the rest of the jersey was blue. I think that it is a nice looking jersey, but it's not the Pens best.

Agreed. I sorta misunderstood you the first time (and ended up somewhat agreeing with you, anyways)

I'm glad Pittsburgh went with powder blue. The colors will blend well on the ice together with Buffalo's white, blue and yellow. I'm assuming that's important since it's a special event. I wonder if Sidney will complain about the cold all night since he does have a tendency of being a crybaby.

Id usually take offense to this statement and post back with the question of whether or not youd say that if he was on the Habs, but ive recently come to the realization that stuff like this is directed towards the best players in every sport, esepecially from those who do not have these players on their team, and theres not much one can do to combat it. Ill admit to doing the same.

oBIgzrL.png

at least buffalo will look nice for at least one game. as for the pens, they aren't too bad at least they didn't go with the powder blues with the diagonal lettering. these are a bit more tolerable.

thank B-i-G we won't be subject to the slug.

Hopefully this is a step in the right direction of returning the Sabres vintage logo back into the primary uniform and identity and making the slug a third for next season.

From a business perspective, it would make sense and maximize revenue. It seems a lot of non-Sabres fans out there like the vintage look way more than the slug.

Tim Horton approves

6052_1.JPGn310.JPG

head explodes/

The logo looks different on the Sabres one too. And I'm not talking about the shade of blue.

The official release of this info and images occurred today :

(Not sure if these links will work) :

Winter Classic - Buffalo Sabres

Winter Classic - Pittsburgh Penguins (Note how RBK routinely misspells "Pittsburg", despite the name being spelled right on the logo several times.)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE / NOVEMBER 9, 2007

SABRES AND PENGUINS TO SPORT RETRO LOOK OUTDOORS

Both Clubs To Wear Vintage Jerseys For Amp Energy NHL Winter Classic

NEW YORK (November 9, 2007) ? The National Hockey League (NHL) today

announced the Buffalo Sabres and Pittsburgh Penguins will wear vintage

jerseys during the AMP Energy NHL Winter Classic, the League?s first

regular-season outdoor game in the United States.

Buffalo will wear the white version of the jersey worn by the club

from 1978-79 through 1995-96, which features the familiar circular logo of

the charging buffalo over crossed sabers. Pittsburgh will return to the

powder blue version worn from 1968-69 through 1972-73. This marks the

first time the Penguins will wear powder blue since switching to black and

gold in 1980. Both jerseys will be made of Rbk EDGE performance materials.

?The Amp Energy NHL Winter Classic is a great celebration of hockey

returning to its origins,? said Brian Jennings, Executive Vice President

Marketing, NHL. ?Wearing vintage jerseys for this historic event is a

unique way to pay tribute to years past while acknowledging the rich

history of the NHL and its clubs.?

"The Penguins are proud to honor our history and heritage in this

unique Winter Classic game,? said Pittsburgh Penguins team President David

Morehouse. ?We think it will be a great opportunity for our young players

such as Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin to wear these blue uniforms and

establish a link with our teams of the 1960s and 70s."

"Wearing the classic white jersey is the perfect fit for a classic

outdoor game," said Buffalo Sabres Managing Partner, Larry Quinn. "Our

future retro jersey will be the dark blue sweater, so this maybe one of the

last times our team wears this jersey. One more historic footnote to the

game."

The Winter Classic Vintage edition jerseys for both Pittsburgh and

Buffalo are available now for purchase in replica form on Shop.NHL.com.

The AMP Energy NHL Winter Classic will be played at Ralph Wilson

Stadium, home of the National Football League?s Buffalo Bills on New Year?s

Day, 2008. NBC will provide live broadcast coverage of the historic game

in the U.S. In Canada, CBC and RDS will televise the event live. Radio

listeners can hear live coverage of the game on all Westwood One affiliates

across the U.S. and Canada as well as on XM satellite radio (channel 204).

AMP Energy is the official energy drink of the NHL and title sponsor

of the event.

About the NHL

The National Hockey League, founded in 1917, is the second-oldest of the

four major professional team sports leagues in North America. Today, the

NHL consists of 30 Member Clubs, each reflecting the League?s international

makeup, with players from more than 20 countries represented on team

rosters. According to a Simmons Market Research study, NHL fans are

younger, more educated, more affluent, and access content through digital

means more than any other sport. The NHL entertains more than 100 million

fans each season in-arena and through its partners in national television

(VERSUS, NBC, TSN, CBC, RDS, RIS, NASN, NHL Network and HDNet) and radio

(Westwood One and XM Radio). Through the NHL Foundation, the League?s

charitable arm, the NHL raises money and awareness for Hockey Fights

Cancer, Hockey?s All-Star Kids and NHL Diversity, and supports the

charitable efforts of all NHL players. For more information on the NHL, log

on to NHL.com.

NHL is a registered trademark and the NHL Shield and NHL Winter Classic are

trademarks of the National Hockey League. NHL and NHL team marks are the

property of the NHL and its teams. All Rights Reserved.

### (11/9/07)

For more information, contact:

Kerry McGovern, NHL

212-789-2172

kmcgovern@nhl.com

Michael Gilbert, Buffalo Sabres

716-855-4526

michael.gilbert@sabres.com

Tom McMillan, Pittsburgh Penguins

412-642-1828

tmcmillan@pittsburghpenguins.com

Homer%20Simpson%20Sabres.jpg

Nope, links don't work.

However, it makes one wonder that if they are indeed making those two throwback jerseys into Edge jerseys with the striping preserved, WHY THE HELL COULDN'T THEY DO THIS BEFORE WITH THE REST OF THE NHL!?

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived