CNN Reporting Redskins' S Sean Taylor Shot in Miami

BlueSky

Well...to begin with my low yield Asberger's Syndrome

You have that too?

Yeppers...don't be too surprised, I recall reading that there seems to be a higher chance of people with that to hang around on internet forums, mainly because that is the best way we can interact with others.

/threadjack

That explains so much. Really. Is there any treatment for that?

The forum thing? Summer vacation, because we have dialup at home. ^_^

The Aspie thing? Not really that I know of...it's more you have to force yourself to interact socially with others. Unfortunately, I have a low tolerance for drunk people, which really precludes me interacting socially with people at DePauw.

/second attempt to end threadjack

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well...to begin with my low yield Asberger's Syndrome

You have that too?

Yeppers...don't be too surprised, I recall reading that there seems to be a higher chance of people with that to hang around on internet forums, mainly because that is the best way we can interact with others.

/threadjack

That explains so much. Really. Is there any treatment for that?

More cowbell?

(1) As someone who's had a femoral arterial leak (thanks to a botched angioplasty), I can say with a little related experience that it's nothing short of a miracle this guy's still alive.

(2) I haven't followed this at all, but whoever shot him knew EXACTLY where they were aiming.

(3) I've no opinion on the man; in fact, I'd never heard of him until now beyond hearing his name.

(4) The above being said, I hope he recovers and whoever shot him is brought to justice.

nav-logo.png

Its hard to have a blanket statement that "Nobody deserves to die" which is what I originally wanted to type in this senario. I've had a friend killed in an accident where he was drunk and I find it difficult when people say that anyone who dies in a drunk driving accident "deserved what they got". Although I don't condone the actions by my friend or the perhaps the previous actions by Sean Taylor, I don't think anyone deserves to die.

My father was also killed in a car accident where 2 guys stole a truck and went the wrong way up an exit ramp. There are times where I feel they deserve to die. But that's revenge and rage, not justice. I know their deaths would not bring my father back. I'd rather them rot in a jail for the rest of their lives than have their families feel the grief and heartache I have felt and will feel for the rest of my life.

Life is so precious and delicate. Once you're gone, you're gone and it can happen in an instant. You leave behind hundreds that knew you and loved you. They are the ones that suffer the most, not the dead.

I've begun to change my views on the death penalty because of all this. I used to think eye for an eye. And some ways I still feel that way. I know its hard to say people that do unimaginable things like serial killers, child molesters and such deserve to live. But I've got to think they suffer more from living their lives in jail more than dying a quick death.

Anyway, back to this story. No matter what he's done in his past, saying he brought it on himself is one thing (and possibly a fair statement), but to say he got what he deserved is a completely different issue. Those statements sound the same, but they are different IMO. Even if you feel the "eye for an eye" mentality, he never killed anyone. I've got to agree with the others on here that say nobody deserves to die.

Even knowing he was in critical condition, this is shocking news. Also perhaps a cautionary tale about how the past can catch up to you.

Granted this perception is based on media reports, but he clearly had a thuggish lifestyle in the past. This is a guy who was fined for spitting in another player's face and charged for brandishing a weapon and assaulting a guy he had a dispute with. Following that incident, a group of guys sprayed his empty SUV with automatic weapons fire in a drive-by. But...he apparently had grown up a lot since the birth of his daughter. As any parent knows, that will "grow you up" in a hurry. Teammates and friends saw a radical change in his attitudes and actions, and he deserves a lot of credit for that. Still, if someone comes into your home in the middle of the night, it's probably not to steal valuables because common sense would indicate that people are home. They're probably there to hurt you.

One media report said the girlfriend tried to call 911 from the house phone but the line had been cut so she had to find her cell phone. Seems pretty clear someone had it in for him, but it wasn't a professional or they would have done more than take a couple of random shots and run away. A previous poster said the shooter knew exactly what he was doing to hit that artery...but I tend to think it was a wild shot that happened to hit home. It was probably dark and supposedly Taylor had a machete or something similar (no firearm, oddly enough based on his past) so the shooter probably just pointed the gun in Taylor's direction and fired a couple of shots, one of which missed and the other that happened to hit in one of the worst possible spots.

As to previous posts debating "Darwin" and "he had it coming" and so on, to me it's like this...regardless of what brought on this attack, many innocent people are hurting very badly right now. That's who I feel for. His daughter (who at least slept through it), his parents, his teammates, and so on. They had little or nothing to do with what happened but are left to deal with the pain of it. We can discuss his past actions and where the cause lies, and hopefully others will take note and change their ways - as he apparently had - but at the end of the day, it's just a sad, tragic, painful situation for many innoncent people.

That's where people like Pacman, and Taylor in his past, are unbelievably selfish. If anybody might expect a violent end like this, it would be those that embrace the thug lifestyle. Those left behind are left to deal with the aftermath.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

This is certainly sad news for Taylor's family and the football community.

That said, I'll stick to my stance from yesterday, which is a sentiment I've seen expressed here already -- I want to know what the hell actually happened. I want details on who gunned him down, and why. I have a feeling that this story is going to span weeks and weeks and weeks while authorities try to uncover everything...

And now that this happens I must say that I am sorry for the rest of his family. His daughter is without a parent and his girlfriend is without a support in raising his daughter.

Shame.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In terms of the thug life stuff, that's a separate thread discussion.

This is about a man not living to see his daughter grow up because of a complete idiot who felt compelled to "keep it real" and shoot a man in his home at night like a coward. It's a goddamn tragedy.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Very sad news. This should never have happened, and it while it doesn't appear to have been random, it does seem to be a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

At this point, its nothing but conjecture, but t's not out of the realm of possibility to think that maybe this wasnt a random act of violence, and it's one's past catching up with him.

Either way, we can mourn for his family and friends another life cut short.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Although considering what I know of the people who are making those posts, I can't say I'm surprised...

There's a blanket statement.

A statement about specific people who've shown the same points of view in similar situations is "blanket?" Ok...

I just hope all of these "let's wait for the details people" feel like the biggest a**holes in the world right now. They deserve it...

I just hope all of these "let's wait for the details people" feel like the biggest a**holes in the world right now. They deserve it...

How exactly are we to feel like a**holes right now? I wanted the details before he died, and I want them after he died. My sympathies for his family and friends don't change, and they never have. My sympathy for the man in question will still rely heavily on the circumstances surrounding his death. I don't see your point.

Wow, that is horrible. Nobody should compare him to Pacman. Nobody is in a wheelchair because of Sean Taylor. From what I have heard, Sean Taylor has changed, while it appears Pacman Jones will not change any time soon. The only way I think a person MIGHT deserve being killed, is if they killed somebody first, for a reason other than self-defense. This wasn't the case with Sean, so I cannot believe the way some people are reacting. There is not one of you who hasn't made a mistake before. That doesn't mean you all deserve to die like this. Nobody does. My prayers go out to Sean's family, teammates, and anyone else he was close to.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Sad.

...and you pick a real nice time to blast others, illwauk, you scumbag.

Just because others questioned the circumstances surrounding the death doesn't mean they are are assh*les.

You need to smarten up, chico.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived