Players in the "wrong" uniforms

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They made black fashion jerseys with kelly-green numbers for the Eagles (I think they were Starter or Russel EDIT: actually I think they were Champion because I remember the 12 in Cunningham being in that font) and they sold pretty well.

I think it was Buddy Ryan and/or Jim McMahon that started wearing black crowned caps on the sidelines, and it was the first time that black had really been associated in any way with the Eagles (yeah the trim, but that's all it was - it wasn't really one of their "colors".)  I was obviously younger, but people (at least my school mates in the late 80s/early 90s) were like "whoa - they'd look good in black."  Fortunately it didn't happen.

Here's the Buddy one.  Jim McMahon's had white pinstripes IIRC (and I'm kind of amazed that I remember all this.)  The McMahon one here wasn't what I was thinking, just posting it because of how horrible it is.

buddy.jpg?e806ec  jim-mcmahon.jpg

Why the hell is an Eagles player wearing a GangGreen hat?!

AwvgSX4.png

1 hour ago, ImmortalChef said:

Why the hell is an Eagles player wearing a GangGreen hat?!

When I was a kid, I always heard the Eagles defense referred to as Gang Green.  Every store had hats, shirts, and the players and news casters called it that.  When I first heard it used for the Jets, I actually thought that they ripped it off.  I'm fairly certain that every team on every level that wears green has been referred to as gang green when they have good defenses.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

They made black fashion jerseys with kelly-green numbers for the Eagles (I think they were Starter or Russel EDIT: actually I think they were Champion because I remember the 12 in Cunningham being in that font) and they sold pretty well.

I think it was Buddy Ryan and/or Jim McMahon that started wearing black crowned caps on the sidelines, and it was the first time that black had really been associated in any way with the Eagles (yeah the trim, but that's all it was - it wasn't really one of their "colors".)  I was obviously younger, but people (at least my school mates in the late 80s/early 90s) were like "whoa - they'd look good in black."  Fortunately it didn't happen.

I always associated the Eagles with silver and black as the central difference between the two teams, mostly because of the one year the Eagles placed electrical tape on their helmets' wings as a memorial. (For the trainer?) 

I never realized it was a one year thing until a few years ago because their new helmets solidified black in the uniforms.

3 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I have that Cris Carter Score card. I'm not sure whether I have the Fleer one too. Haven't seen the Monk one, though. What brand is that? It was 1995, right?

i don't own the card myself, i just used the best image of monk on the eagles from a google image search.  i went back and checked for you, and the card is apparently a custom that some guy made:

http://condition-sensitive.blogspot.com/2012/12/custom-card-1974-topps-art-monk.html

"A "Card the Never Was" style custom with Hall of Famer Art Monk who spent the last 3 games of 1995 with the Eagles before retiring."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bucky_bleichert said:

i don't own the card myself, i just used the best image of monk on the eagles from a google image search.  i went back and checked for you, and the card is apparently a custom that some guy made:

http://condition-sensitive.blogspot.com/2012/12/custom-card-1974-topps-art-monk.html

"A "Card the Never Was" style custom with Hall of Famer Art Monk who spent the last 3 games of 1995 with the Eagles before retiring."

Okay, thanks. Yeah, that design didn't look very mid-90s to me at all.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 10:35 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

His only meaningful prime-time national exposure came in another uniform

There's absolutely no way that this should be the criteria for right or wrong uniform. There are so many players and teams that just don't get the same national exposure as other teams so you can't go by where they got meaningful national exposure. If that's the way you look at it then, for example, Ricky Henderson and Ichiro's "right" uniforms would both be the Yankees and not the A's or Mariners, and that's just wrong. 

1 minute ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

There's absolutely no way that this should be the criteria for right or wrong uniform. There are so many players and teams that just don't get the same national exposure as other teams so you can't go by where they got meaningful national exposure. If that's the way you look at it then, for example, Ricky Henderson and Ichiro's "right" uniforms would both be the Yankees and not the A's or Mariners, and that's just wrong. 

I get the point that you're making; but your example in Rickey Henderson is not a good one.  In Rickey's first stint with the A's, he passed 100 stolen bases twice and broke the single-season record; and he also appeared in All-Star Games and the postseason.  So before he came to the Yankees he was already a major star who had enjoyed lots of national exposure.

And, for the record, both the Yankees and the A's count as Rickey's right uniforms.  For me the criterion that should be used in order to establish a "wrong" uniform is that the average fan would not remember that the player played for the team in question.  While no one is unaware of Rickey's time with the Yankees or with the A's, many fans might have forgotten about his many other stops. The wrongest of all wrong uniforms for Rickey is that of the Red Sox.

(I cannot speak about Ichiro because his entire career took place after I retired as a follower of baseball.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 3/25/2017 at 10:35 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

Chapman is not a Red anymore.  His only meaningful prime-time national exposure came in another uniform, and if he plays well for a few years in NY, that will cement it.

He played 6 seasons with the Reds.  He appeared in all of 31 games with the Yankees and just 28 with the Cubs. 

This is recency bias at its worst. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I get the point that you're making; but your example in Rickey Henderson is not a good one.  In Rickey's first stint with the A's, he passed 100 stolen bases twice and broke the single-season record; and he also appeared in All-Star Games and the postseason.  So before he came to the Yankees he was already a major star who had enjoyed lots of national exposure.

And, for the record, both the Yankees and the A's count as Rickey's right uniforms.  For me the criterion that should be used in order to establish a "wrong" uniform is that the average fan would not remember that the player played for the team in question.  While no one is unaware of Rickey's time with the Yankees or with the A's, many fans might have forgotten about his many other stops. The wrongest of all wrong uniforms for Rickey is that of the Red Sox.

(I cannot speak about Ichiro because his entire career took place after I retired as a follower of baseball.)

I pulled those off the top of my head as examples just because the Yankees have more national exposure than the As and Mariners and Ricky and Ichiro came to mind first. I didn't research anything before typing it. With that said I'm pretty positive Ichiro fit my example to the T. He's clearly a Mariner despite a stint with the Yankees. Getting to 3,000 in Miami also makes his Marlin uniform more right than his Yankee uniform. 

• Like 1