Players in the "wrong" uniforms

Every Liverpool player yesterday was technically in the "wrong" uniform.  It's a tradition (apparently) in England that if a team releases next season's kit during their current season, they wear next season's kit on the last home game of the season.  Since the Premier League is getting a new number font next season, these pictures are technically "wrong."

PA-31393715-600x414.jpg

P170521-092-Liverpool_Middlesbrough-e149

For comparison, new number font: 

here-is-all-new-2017-18-premier-league-f

spacer.png

32 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Every Liverpool player yesterday was technically in the "wrong" uniform.  It's a tradition (apparently) in England that if a team releases next season's kit during their current season, they wear next season's kit on the last home game of the season.  Since the Premier League is getting a new number font next season, these pictures are technically "wrong."

PA-31393715-600x414.jpg

P170521-092-Liverpool_Middlesbrough-e149

For comparison, new number font: 

here-is-all-new-2017-18-premier-league-f

Question I've had for a while: Why do entire soccer leagues all use the same number font and why do they put the league's logo in the numbers? 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

9 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Question I've had for a while: Why do entire soccer leagues all use the same number font and why do they put the league's logo in the numbers? 

I have no idea, on either front.  IMO as long as the font's good (it is in the PL) I don't really care.

spacer.png

18 hours ago, McCarthy said:

It's supposed to be so that you can get name+numbering done on any shirt at any shop in the world, since there's only 5 number colors for the whole league and pretty much any shop that customizes will carry the font. Plus it identifies the league, which is why the little logo is there, on top of making it harder for counterfeiters.

personally I'm not a huge fan of it, especially limiting the colors available like the EPL does, which leads to disasters like gold numbers on shirts with volt trim or black numbers for teams that don't use black

• Like 3
07Giants.pngnyy.png

6 hours ago, anythinglogos said:
On 5/22/2017 at 0:24 PM, McCarthy said:

It's supposed to be so that you can get name+numbering done on any shirt at any shop in the world, since there's only 5 number colors for the whole league and pretty much any shop that customizes will carry the font. Plus it identifies the league, which is why the little logo is there, on top of making it harder for counterfeiters.

personally I'm not a huge fan of it, especially limiting the colors available like the EPL does, which leads to disasters like gold numbers on shirts with volt trim or black numbers for teams that don't use black

I don't like this either, because it seems to me that the choice of number font should be part of a team's look.  This is why it is so comforting to see Champions League matches in which the teams' numbers contrast just as much as their colours do.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 5/26/2017 at 10:02 PM, Gothamite said:

Nice

On 5/10/2017 at 5:32 PM, San Diego said:

1b1edda1b83aff2f6714c247c16e56e3.jpg

SKOL VIKINGS    GO WILD

Minnesota            

Is                      

LOSERVILLE          

devan dubnyk

DEVAN.jpg

SKOL VIKINGS    GO WILD

Minnesota            

Is                      

LOSERVILLE          

15 hours ago, wildfan2440 said:

devan dubnyk

DEVAN.jpg

My mental image of Dubnyk is still being absolutely terrible in an Oilers uniform. This new Minnesota guy isn't Devan Dubnyk, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS