Players in the "wrong" uniforms

12 hours ago, johnnysama said:

deacon_jones_1972_09_01.jpg
Here's the late, great Deacon Jones in a different shade of blue; that of the San Diego Chargers.

Huh...I'd have thought he'd be in a blue helmet. When did the Chargers first use blue helmets, anyway?

EDIT: 1974 was the first year the Chargers wore blue helmets.

On 4/28/2016 at 7:15 PM, Zeus89725 said:

I hope nobody's posted these yet...

Roberto Luongo on the Islanders

roberto-luongo.jpg

Zdeno Chara in the same place: (And in a fishsticks jersey no less)

308586_crop_650x440.jpg?1321638622

I don't know if they are necessarily wrong uniforms as much as a painful reminder of the crop of guys the Isles had that got traded away for a hill of beans. This maybe the nostalgist in me but I still kinda associate Luongo, Chara, Bertuzzi, McCabe Berard, Palffy, Jonsson and Salo with the Islanders. 

• Like 1

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

2 hours ago, BrianLion said:

He won a World Series with the Jays in 1993. Was their starting LF I believe. 

I was born in 1992, so i might've missed that. ?

• Like 1

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

7 hours ago, LEWJ said:

I was born in 1992, so i might've missed that. ?

For those of us who witnessed most of Ricky's career, his brief stint in Toronto is far from obscure.  Especially to a Phillies fan.

What is obscure is catching him in #14.  As a young uni-number geek, it was quite a shocking sight to see him in anything other than 24 (I missed his pre-Yankees days.)  I was actually disappointed when he acquired (purchased) #24 with the Jays.

IMO, anything post '95 is a "wrong uniform" for him.  Hell - I barely even remember him on most of those teams, with the exception of the Mets.  Four separate stints in Oakland?  How does that even happen?  He was 34 before he became a vagabond.  34!  Then played 10 more seasons!  

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

For those of us who witnessed most of Ricky's career, his brief stint in Toronto is far from obscure.  Especially to a Phillies fan.

What is obscure is catching him in #14.  As a young uni-number geek, it was quite a shocking sight to see him in anything other than 24 (I missed his pre-Yankees days.)  I was actually disappointed when he acquired (purchased) #24 with the Jays.

IMO, anything post '95 is a "wrong uniform" for him.  Hell - I barely even remember him on most of those teams, with the exception of the Mets.  Four separate stints in Oakland?  How does that even happen?  He was 34 before he became a vagabond.  34!  Then played 10 more seasons!  

And then he went and played Independent ball for like another 2 years! 

On 5/9/2016 at 11:02 AM, LEWJ said:

Here's Mark Price as a Warrior.

t3949312-340.jpg

This leads me to a question...

There are plenty of pictures of Price in the Warriors yellow and blue set, but this is the only one I could find of him in this jersey. He only played one season with Golden State (96-97). Did they wear two different uniform sets that year?

Oh God. Absolutely no player from the 80s looks good in that trainwreck of a uniform...and I say that as a Warriors fan who came of age during the lightning bolt era.

In fact, here's another one: Bucks/DePaul legend Terry Cummings:

496027.jpg

• Like 1

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

On 5/9/2016 at 5:02 PM, LEWJ said:

Here's Mark Price as a Warrior.

t3949312-340.jpg

This leads me to a question...

There are plenty of pictures of Price in the Warriors yellow and blue set, but this is the only one I could find of him in this jersey. He only played one season with Golden State (96-97). Did they wear two different uniform sets that year?

That's from the 1997-98 preseason, he played a couple of games with the Warriors (in the new unis) before being traded to the Magic.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Discogod said:

That's from the 1997-98 preseason, he played a couple of games with the Warriors (in the new unis) before being traded to the Magic.

Mystery solved. I obviously didn't do much research there. The couple sites that I saw, listed him as only being with Orlando in 97-98, so i just assumed that was the case. Thanks for clarifying.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

2 hours ago, Carter23 said:

horace grant as a sonic

Warriors-vs-Seattle-Supersonics_1.jpg

unpopular opinion:  i like that sonics' set.  not as much as the classic green & yellow, but i thought it was one of the better 90s era uniforms

Yeah, that set wasn't bad. It wasn't off-the-wall amazing, but neither was its predecessor. The red alt was pretty cool and the logo has grown on me. At first it bugged me that it just said "Sonics" rather than saying "SuperSonics." I'm a bit OCD.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 1:25 AM, Ashes of Astroworld said:

Warren Moon as a Viking.

C50gfqG.jpg?1

Hakeem Olajuwon as a Raptor.

4Zk7bV3.jpg

I don't consider Warren Moon as a Viking to be the "wrong uniform." Warren Moon as a Seahawk, yes. As a Chief, yes. As a Viking, no.