Players in the "wrong" uniforms

i disagree, slightly. the edge uniforms were awful, but i loved the T-bird. always thought it was their coolest logo. the cartoon/bird/tornado primary logo just looked so ECHL to me. the t-bird fit more inline with the falcons logo, as an actual professional organization... which sadly, they weren't. lol.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

I loved the Thrashers powder blues. Yes, even the asymmetrical ones. 

@ColeJ, I love that avatar. Is that a custom one or did a goalie wear that?

Gilles Meloche wore it for the North Stars. I love it because it reminds me of the old Stars logo that was shared by both Minnesota and Dallas.

101014057.jpg

101014115.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/10/2017 at 11:30 AM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Just curious, does anyone else pronounce crayon as "crown"? I do. I've gotten a lot of s for it.  I've been bullied into just quietly muttering it whenever the rare occasion happens where crayons are brought up.

I guess it's kinda low brow, but it's just always what I've called them.  Hah, low brow makes me think of: "oh yeah???" and  "come here a minute".

Hey, happy Friday guys.

I'm from southern Ohio, and I'd say the "crayon-crown" divide is about down the middle here. I've always said "crayons" but I grew up with friends who said "crowns" and it annoyed me. Still hear kids say "crowns", and occasionally adults too. Being a teacher, sometimes I'll correct both. 

45 minutes ago, wyopokes2 said:

Was watching the NFL Network today and saw something that I had totally forgot. He's been posted before in this thread for the Allen Wranglers and the Bengals and Bills, but hadn't seen Terrell Owens for the Seahawks.

Seattle+Seahawks+v+Kansas+City+Chiefs+iQ Seattle+Seahawks+v+Denver+Broncos+Lu6hCk

When was this? I seem to have forgotten it.

On 2/10/2017 at 0:17 PM, BrianLion said:

Some people here in PA pronounce it like that. When I first moved here I was really taken back by it.  That and they pronounce the word "on" as "awn." 

The first time I heard it was when I went away to college in western PA.  Since then I've associated that pronunciation with the western PA hillbillies, along with "dahllar" for dollar, "arn" for "iron", "yinz" for the plural of you, and so on.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

59 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The first time I heard it was when I went away to college in western PA.  Since then I've associated that pronunciation with the western PA hillbillies, along with "dahllar" for dollar, "arn" for "iron", "yinz" for the plural of you, and so on.  

I think it's kind of an Appalachian thing. My dad's Appalachian though and he's always said it correctly. My mom's from Iowa and that pronunciation annoys her just like it annoys me. Most of the kids who say it like that have deep roots in the area, I think.

On 2/10/2017 at 11:30 AM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Just curious, does anyone else pronounce crayon as "crown"? I do. I've gotten a lot of s for it.  I've been bullied into just quietly muttering it whenever the rare occasion happens where crayons are brought up.

I guess it's kinda low brow, but it's just always what I've called them.  Hah, low brow makes me think of: "oh yeah???" and  "come here a minute".

Hey, happy Friday guys.

Being from Northeast Ohio (per my username), I always pronounced it like "cran." I only ever heard it as either "cran" or "cray-on." Never heard crown before, odd.

Also, the draw/drawer thing is funny. Some people, from more rural settings, might say "drawr," as in "I'm gonna drawr something," ADDING an R for no reason. But growing up we never mixed up draw and drawer because we pronounced the latter to rhyme with "roar."

Also, what's up with New Yorkers saying "on line" instead of "in line." "I'm gonna get on line for the tickets." "Next on line please." WHAT?

Oh, and a lot of people here say "soda" even though it's pronounced "pop."

• Like 1

17 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Also, the draw/drawer thing is funny. Some people, from more rural settings, might say "drawr," as in "I'm gonna drawr something," ADDING an R for no reason. But growing up we never mixed up draw and drawer because we pronounced the latter to rhyme with "roar."

Well, it's evidently not only New Yorkers who conflate "draw" and "drawer". 

Tonight I was watching the episode of Match Game that aired last Wednesday, February 8, and Vivica A. Fox (from Indianapolis) gave an answer that was meant to be "droopy drawers".  Look how she spelt it.

Vivica.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

My mother is from Queens, NY and always called them "draws."  We were living in Michigan at the time when I started school as a kid, and I got some strange looks from the class when I did a presentation on a desk my Dad and I had built.  

We then relocated back to the East Coast when I was about 11, and then got ridiculed the first time I referred to a Pepsi as "pop" in front of other kids. 

Growing up in a "multi-regional" family was hard. ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrispw12 said:

With him being in the headlines Charles Oakley as a Washington Wizard

wiz.jpg

Some more Oak:

With the Raptors:

28145dc41a8503e6555b4a1b89ec27b4.jpg

charles-oakley-of-the-toronto-raptors-dr

His early days as MJ's enforcer in Chicago:

b00965d821ababcc175a68510e514e50.jpg

I couldn't find any pics from his 7-game stint with Houston though...

• Like 1

Nathan Horton. Long time Panther, Stanley Cup winner with Boston, 36 games with the Blue Jackets.

ZMW2FgJ.jpg

Back issues forced him to long term IR. Contract traded to Toronto because the Blue Jackets never insured him and Toronto was willing to take on the contract to rid themselves of....

clarkson_david.jpg

David Clarkson. longtime Devil, famously bad contract with Toronto, 26 total games with the Blue Jackets. Back issues have also forced him to LTIR. He'll likely never play again. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

Blue Jackets are like the NHL poster children for player's in the wrong uniform.  

Sergei Fedorov, Brian Boucher, Bryan Berard, Adrian Aucoin, Jeff Carter, Adam Foote, Marian Gaborik, Scott Hartnell, Scott Lachance, Lyle Odelein, Mike Peca, Luke Richardson, Geoff Sanderson, Anton Stralman, Raffi Torres, Scott Upshall, Antoine Vermette,  Jakub Voracek, Ray Whitney, etc. 

• Like 2