larrypep

Players in the "wrong" uniforms

Recommended Posts

ImmortalChef    243

Chapman in a Reds jersey is the right uniform

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bwburke94    112
7 minutes ago, ImmortalChef said:

Chapman in a Reds jersey is the right uniform

He could become dual Reds/Yankees in the future, or possibly dual Reds/Cubs depending on how well his Cubs stint is remembered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
johnnysama    295

highbaugh_larry2.jpg

In light of the recent news regarding the death of CFL legend Larry Highbaugh (RIP), here he is in his early years before he embarked on his legendary Edmonton Eskimo career, as a BC Lion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jlnhlfan    17

Did anyone screenshot the part of the thread when I talked about Scott Henderson, the character I created that he was called "The Next Gretzky" by you guys?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
johnnysama    295

In honor of Mr. Anthony Cavillo's induction into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, here's a two-fer:

Anthony-Calvillo-Las-Vegas-Posse-19944.j

1) He got his start during the CFL's American experiment of the mid-1990s, starting his pro career with the infamous Las Vegas Posse. From there.....

 

Anthony-Calvillo-Hamilton-Tiger-Cats-199

2) Once the CFL left the US, he start his Canadian career with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, before making his mark with the Montreal Alouettes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rj0498    323

This never should have happened. He was viking and should have retired as one.

FinsLose20-17Dec 21, 2002.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ray Lankford    356
On 3/22/2017 at 11:10 PM, bwburke94 said:

He could become dual Reds/Yankees in the future, or possibly dual Reds/Cubs depending on how well his Cubs stint is remembered.

Won't the memory of his Cubs stint be almost blowing it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ImmortalChef    243
34 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

Won't the memory of his Cubs stint be almost blowing it?

Well, he did help the Cubs win the World Series. I would even argue that if it weren't for him, the Cubs would not have won

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BringBackTheVet    4,169

Chapman is not a Red anymore.  His only meaningful prime-time national exposure came in another uniform, and if he plays well for a few years in NY, that will cement it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

This never should have happened. He was viking and should have retired as one.

FinsLose20-17Dec 21, 2002.jpg

 

as long as we're on the subject of chris carter

s568872814488652156_p3607_i1_w1100.jpeg

 

as long as we're on the subject of old WRs who had no business being on the eagles

1974+Topps+NFL.jpg

 

sorry if both are repeats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BringBackTheVet    4,169
6 minutes ago, bucky_bleichert said:

as long as we're on the subject of old WRs who had no business being on the eagles

1974+Topps+NFL.jpg

 

sorry if both are repeats

 

1.  everything is a repeat at this point.  That's how this thread works now since nobody (myself included) is going back to read it all.

 

2.  THat Art Monk pic is also odd for another reason - that's the only season the Eagles had twill numbers on those jerseys.  Also the number font is slightly different than at any other time in the kelly green era.  It's a little thinner, and the 6s and 9s are a little different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ray Lankford    356
1 hour ago, ImmortalChef said:

Well, he did help the Cubs win the World Series. I would even argue that if it weren't for him, the Cubs would not have won

How's that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ImmortalChef    243
40 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

How's that?

1.01 ERA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FGM13    677
25 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

They won the Central by 17 games. I don't think Chapman was worth that much.

In fact I'm pretty sure he had a negative WPA in the playoffs, so he helped them lose more than he helped them win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schlim    67
2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

1.  everything is a repeat at this point.  That's how this thread works now since nobody (myself included) is going back to read it all.

 

2.  THat Art Monk pic is also odd for another reason - that's the only season the Eagles had twill numbers on those jerseys.  Also the number font is slightly different than at any other time in the kelly green era.  It's a little thinner, and the 6s and 9s are a little different.

The first thing that stuck or about that picture was the black threads around the numbers. As a Jet fan,  all I could think about was the early nineties jerseys with the black trim.  I was so worried about them getting a black third or taking away from the simplicity of the green and white. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MCM0313    773
On 3/25/2017 at 10:46 AM, bucky_bleichert said:

 

as long as we're on the subject of chris carter

s568872814488652156_p3607_i1_w1100.jpeg

 

as long as we're on the subject of old WRs who had no business being on the eagles

1974+Topps+NFL.jpg

 

sorry if both are repeats

I have that Cris Carter Score card. I'm not sure whether I have the Fleer one too. Haven't seen the Monk one, though. What brand is that? It was 1995, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BringBackTheVet    4,169
23 hours ago, schlim said:

The first thing that stuck or about that picture was the black threads around the numbers. As a Jet fan,  all I could think about was the early nineties jerseys with the black trim.  I was so worried about them getting a black third or taking away from the simplicity of the green and white. 

 

They made black fashion jerseys with kelly-green numbers for the Eagles (I think they were Starter or Russel EDIT: actually I think they were Champion because I remember the 12 in Cunningham being in that font) and they sold pretty well.

 

I think it was Buddy Ryan and/or Jim McMahon that started wearing black crowned caps on the sidelines, and it was the first time that black had really been associated in any way with the Eagles (yeah the trim, but that's all it was - it wasn't really one of their "colors".)  I was obviously younger, but people (at least my school mates in the late 80s/early 90s) were like "whoa - they'd look good in black."  Fortunately it didn't happen.

 

Here's the Buddy one.  Jim McMahon's had white pinstripes IIRC (and I'm kind of amazed that I remember all this.)  The McMahon one here wasn't what I was thinking, just posting it because of how horrible it is.

 

buddy.jpg?e806ec  jim-mcmahon.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now