Players in the "wrong" uniforms

So Sportsnet up here in Canada was showing the Maurice Richard movie and I caught a piece of it.  To my surprise, the Rocket started off wearing number 15 before switching to 9 after the birth of his first daughter, who weighed 9 pounds at birth.  I've been looking for a picture, but the best I could do is the trailer for the movie where Richard asks the coach to switch to number 9.  Mid way through the trailer.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1962475801/  

Ryan Howard, Gwinnett Braves. Saw a caption on the news with him with photoshopped Braves A hat. Weird. 

IMG_0380.PNG

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

On 4/17/2017 at 11:37 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

I posted this last year with pics so I won't bother with all the pics again but along with Mike Piazza and Andre Dawson above, other significant players who have a Marlins uniform as their wrong uniform include Terry Pendleton, Tony Perez, Tim Raines, Aaron Boone, Ryan Dempster, Byung Hyung Kim, Adrian Gonzalez, Jason Grilli, Joe Girardi, Trevor Hoffman, Carlos Lee, Dan Haren, Mat Latos, Carlos Zambrano, Tino Martinez, Heath Bell, Rafael Furcal, and Placido Polanco. 

Maybe not a "significant" player, but I would add Charlie Hough to that list.  I remember watching him pitch for the Marlins in 1993, and remember it looking very jarring to see this oldish-looking guy in his mid-40s rocking that teal-heavy uniform that was clearly designed to look cool and trendy.  A guy who spent the vast majority of his career pitching in the relatively traditional looks of the 70's Dodgers and 80's Rangers just did not look right in a Marlins uniform.  I would say this is almost a case of "wrong uniform, wrong generation."

Hough_Charlie_portrait_MarlinsHome_auto.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/17/2017 at 9:00 AM, insert name said:

and he was still recognized by the organization as a Marlins Alumni. He even showed up wearing a Marlins jersey at the final Dolphin Stadium game. 

That's hilarious. I thought Martin Brodeur playing as a St Louis Blue alumni was bad. 

4 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

Hough_Charlie_portrait_MarlinsHome_auto.jpg

I always hated how they chose to align the F logo on those hats. The whole logo looks like it's pushed way to the left and it's because they centered it by finding the middle point of the logo, but the visual weight of the logo all lies with the F. They should've centered the F and let the fish hang off to the right. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

6 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

Maybe not a "significant" player, but I would add Charlie Hough to that list.  I remember watching him pitch for the Marlins in 1993, and remember it looking very jarring to see this oldish-looking guy in his mid-40s rocking that teal-heavy uniform that was clearly designed to look cool and trendy.  A guy who spent the vast majority of his career pitching in the relatively traditional looks of the 70's Dodgers and 80's Rangers just did not look right in a Marlins uniform.  I would say this is almost a case of "wrong uniform, wrong generation."

True but as a Marlins fan since 93 (actually earlier), it's hard to call Hough in a Marlins uniform as his wrong uniform. Being the Opening Day starter for both of the first 2 seasons, he didn't have a "blink and you'll miss it" role here like the other guys. 

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

That's hilarious. I thought Martin Brodeur playing as a St Louis Blue alumni was bad. 

I always hated how they chose to align the F logo on those hats. The whole logo looks like it's pushed way to the left and it's because they centered it by finding the middle point of the logo, but the visual weight of the logo all lies with the F. They should've centered the F and let the fish hang off to the right. 

It eventually was centered to the F, but I think not until 1995

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

25 minutes ago, tubby34 said:

It eventually was centered to the F, but I think not until 1995

Believe it or not, the Florida Marlins cap logo was not centered to the F until 2001. It's an absolute eyesore looking back on it now. Basically the only flaw of such an amazing uniform set. This also means the two teal caps were never centered to the F as the all teal cap was dropped in 96 and the teal and black cap was dropped in 97. 

On 4/17/2017 at 11:37 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

I posted this last year with pics so I won't bother with all the pics again but along with Mike Piazza and Andre Dawson above, other significant players who have a Marlins uniform as their wrong uniform include Terry Pendleton, Tony Perez, Tim Raines, Aaron Boone, Ryan Dempster, Byung Hyung Kim, Adrian Gonzalez, Jason Grilli, Joe Girardi, Trevor Hoffman, Carlos Lee, Dan Haren, Mat Latos, Carlos Zambrano, Tino Martinez, Heath Bell, Rafael Furcal, and Placido Polanco. 

You forgot Darren Daulton.  Weird site as a Phillies fan. 

Speaking of notable Phillies on a weird Florida team, here is Pat Burrell as a Ray.

IMG_0381.PNG

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

17 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

True but as a Marlins fan since 93 (actually earlier), it's hard to call Hough in a Marlins uniform as his wrong uniform. Being the Opening Day starter for both of the first 2 seasons, he didn't have a "blink and you'll miss it" role here like the other guys. 

He pitched for around 10 years as a Dodger, then around 10 years as a Ranger, and then finished his career with 2 years as a Marlin.  I would hardly call a uniform that a player wore for 2 years out of a 20+ year career his "right" uniform, regardless of whether he was an opening day starter when wearing them.

5 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

He pitched for around 10 years as a Dodger, then around 10 years as a Ranger, and then finished his career with 2 years as a Marlin.  I would hardly call a uniform that a player wore for 2 years out of a 20+ year career his "right" uniform, regardless of whether he was an opening day starter when wearing them.

It didn't say it's his right uniform, I said it's not a wrong uniform for him. There is a difference. And I did say I'm biased as a Marlins fan since day one. I did agree with your prior post about him. As far as time wearing that uniform, Hough in a Marlins uniform is much like Zobrist in a Cubs uniform and it's hard to call Zobrist in a Cubs uniform wrong even though he's a Ray to most people. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Believe it or not, the Florida Marlins cap logo was not centered to the F until 2001. It's an absolute eyesore looking back on it now. Basically the only flaw of such an amazing uniform set. This also means the two teal caps were never centered to the F as the all teal cap was dropped in 96 and the teal and black cap was dropped in 97. 

Not the only flaw - lack of teal jersey was another. Even aside from that, the general neglect of teal after the first couple years bothered me.

16 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Not the only flaw - lack of teal jersey was another. Even aside from that, the general neglect of teal after the first couple years bothered me.

How common were solid colored alternates in the early to mid 90s? I'm curious because the Marlins having an all teal BP jersey and not using it as an in game jersey doesn't seem like something I'd call a flaw for the time period. Like if they still had that color scheme in today's world they'd definitely have a teal alternate jersey but not having it back then seems pretty common for the time. 

On 4/24/2017 at 10:45 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

I remember Hough as a crafty veteran in the 1980s.  I'd long forgotten he was ever a Marlin.  I'd have expected he'd have retired before then.  Definitely the wrong uniform to me.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

How common were solid colored alternates in the early to mid 90s? I'm curious because the Marlins having an all teal BP jersey and not using it as an in game jersey doesn't seem like something I'd call a flaw for the time period. Like if they still had that color scheme in today's world they'd definitely have a teal alternate jersey but not having it back then seems pretty common for the time. 

Perhaps. They had a black alternate, though, and it was a doozy. A well-designed teal alternate (plus a teal cap) would've made an already good set a lot more complete in my eyes, complementing everything else quite nicely.

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

Perhaps. They had a black alternate, though, and it was a doozy. A well-designed teal alternate (plus a teal cap) would've made an already good set a lot more complete in my eyes, complementing everything else quite nicely.

The Marlins didn't have a black in game alternate until 2002. The 93-01 teams only had 3 in game jerseys... home whites, road grays, and a home white vest alternate that was worn with teal sleeves from 93-95 and with black sleeves from 96-02. 

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The Marlins didn't have a black in game alternate until 2002. The 93-01 teams only had 3 in game jerseys... home whites, road grays, and a home white vest alternate that was worn with teal sleeves from 93-95 and with black sleeves from 96-02. 

Really?! I remembered them wearing black in the '97 World Series. Must've conflated that with '03. 

17 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Really?! I remembered them wearing black in the '97 World Series. Must've conflated that with '03. 

They wore road grays for the 3 games in Cleveland, and went with the white pinstripes for 2 games and the sleeveless look 2 games in Florida. 

1995-and-1997-world-series-1f16f0755cdf4

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyk_pD8URMWhV8KvpUQ9f

baseball-world-series-florida-marlins-cr

• Like 3