Players in the "wrong" uniforms

I don't think Yankees is truly a wrong uniform for Damon, he was there four years and won a World Series, which is the same number of years he was with the Red Sox, although I'd probably consider the Red Sox more right since he had better years there, now Tigers, Rays and Indians would probably be considered wrong

2 hours ago, Echo said:

1980 Topps.  There was no logo on the front, and only a small Topps logo on the back.

That's bizarre. I know this is a topic for another thread, but do you know why this was? Topps was always the leader in cards; it's odd to think that they might have lost their NFL license, even for just a year.

7 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

David Robertson

IMG_8964.JPG

An unusual spin on the recent-transaction posts: normally, the new team is the one posted here.

For the record, recent transactions probably don't belong by the spirit of the thread, unless there's a twist like there is here.

21 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

That's bizarre. I know this is a topic for another thread, but do you know why this was? Topps was always the leader in cards; it's odd to think that they might have lost their NFL license, even for just a year.

I think I misunderstood your first post.  I thought you were referring to the lack of a Topps logo on the front of the card, not the lack of the team logo on the card. 

The team logo being airbrushed out was pretty common on cards from the 70's and early 80's.  The first year team logos appeared on the Topps cards was 1982.  Before that the helmets were all logo-less when they appeared.  Not sure why that was.  Their baseball and hockey cards from the 70's and 80's all had logos on them.  I guess the NFL's rights must have been too expensive for them?

• Like 1

On 7/18/2017 at 8:21 AM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Kevin Youkilis and Johnny Damon also, but I'm sure they've already been covered here.  And yes, I would say Damon's "right" uniform is still Boston's.

While Johnny Damon definitely has a handful of wrong uniforms my favorite one is when he played for Thailand in the World Baseball Classic qualifying round in 2012 (his mother is from Thailand I believe). While the WBC is almost always a short lived uniform for any player, this one is tops because it was Thailand's first and only WBC appearance... they weren't in the first two tournaments at all, then failed to qualify in 2012, and weren't invited back in 2017 (Pakistan took their spot). So, with only 3 games played ever, they're the ultimate rare WBC team and with them actually having a big time baseball star on them this one always sticks out to me... 

1500672766742.thumb.jpg.e5362f2e88633f7dc5615a4532067d22.jpg

• Like 6

Dave Stewart and Rickey Henderson were both on the 1993 Blue Jays that won the World Series, but Stewart only lasted a couple of years, while Henderson only played part of the regular season with them.  I remember them both as Oakland A's, even if they played with any other teams.

430-38Fr.jpg 2870j_lg.jpeg

• Like 2