Players in the "wrong" uniforms

51 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Only in a world where "underrated" means "eww yuck gross barf".

1) it looks like two separate words: "Diamond" "Backs", not "Diamondbacks"

2) stacked emblems have never looked good on a baseball uniform (possibly not on any uniform)

3) the shadows and extra white outline against the pinstripe backdrop is a bit much.

So is having D-Backs on the uniform better? 

1 hour ago, Brandon9485 said:

So is having D-Backs on the uniform better? 

No.  

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wow - I never realized that happened.  Disgraceful since 6 is retired for Dr. J.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 03/04/2018 at 5:37 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Wow - I never realized that happened.  Disgraceful since 6 is retired for Dr. J.

Except he did it as a tribute to Dr. J.  He wanted to let out his braids too and go with a big afro.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, M4One said:

Except he did it as a tribute to Dr. J.  He wanted to let out his braids too and go with a big afro.

Did Dr J know about it? Kinda defeats the point of retiring a number if someone can just decide to wear it when they want. Dr. J wasn’t a perfect angel, but if I was him I’d be like “nah bro” if someone like Iverson wanted to wear my jersey and “honor” me. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Did Dr J know about it? Kinda defeats the point of retiring a number if someone can just decide to wear it when they want. Dr. J wasn’t a perfect angel, but if I was him I’d be like “nah bro” if someone like Iverson wanted to wear my jersey and “honor” me. 

It was a one time thing for an all-star game held in Philadelphia.  I don't know whether Dr. J knew about it or not, but it does appear that Dr. J was a bit of a mentor to Iverson, which is probably why he did it. http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/the700level/watch-highlights-allen-iversons-classic-hall-fame-speech

• Like 2

Brad van Pelt, best known for being a New York Giants, played with two more teams in the mid-1980s:

linebacker-brad-van-pelt-of-the-los-ange

Two with the Raiders (he's #91 here).... and one with the Browns. I can't seem to track down a pic of van Pelt as a Brown.

UBwef0L.png

• 2 weeks later...

Figured this article on NFL.com today was relevant, although, I'm sure each of these players have probably been posted multiple times before...

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000927002

0ap3000000927259.jpg

16 hours ago, insert name said:

Hank Aaron with the Brewers.

fcd3dd5682ce0d75e604c3fca0c302e7.jpg

Shaddup lol. This looks right to me. He came back "home" and it is the uniform that SET the career home run record in. We have Hank Aaron State Trail here in Milwaukee, and a statue outside of Miller park, and his 44 rightfully hangs on the outfield wall underneath the roof there as well. If it wasn't for those two years here, that doesn't happen. 

• Like 2
packchampionslfroh.png

5 hours ago, KDubK414 said:

Shaddup lol. This looks right to me. He came back "home" and it is the uniform that SET the career home run record in. We have Hank Aaron State Trail here in Milwaukee, and a statue outside of Miller park, and his 44 rightfully hangs on the outfield wall underneath the roof there as well. If it wasn't for those two years here, that doesn't happen. 

This is "Players in the Wrong Uniforms," not "Players in the Right City." :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KDubK414 said:

You're right, of course.

And that shows the problem with this thread.  It is more than 300 pages long, when really it should be about five to ten posts long.  That's how many fit into the category. There's Namath, Killebrew, Boog Powell, and a handful more.  That's it. 

This thread degenerated into a list of any player who ever changed teams, which means nothing, because almost every player not named "Joe DiMaggio" or "George Brett" has changed teams.

What's worse, there were several pictures that do not belong at all, an example of which is this Aaron picture.  Anyone who thinks that Aaron with the Brewers, Willie Mays with the Mets, or Pele with the Cosmos belongs on this just does not know history. Those teams are certainly secondary to those players' main teams; but each one of those secondary teams makes up an essential part of the player's legacy, in that one cannot possibly tell that player's story without mentioning his time with those secondary teams.  By contrast, Namath and Killebrew did nothing of note with the Rams or Royals, respectively, and so their time with those teams can reasonably be ignored when telling those players' stories.

I thought of this recently when I was listening to an episode of The Hall of Very Good podcast with Todd Radom and Uni Watch's Phil Hecken as guests, and they got onto the topic of guys in uniforms you don't think of them in.  The conversation begins at the 41:30 mark.  The guests and the host mention some instances that qualify for me, and others that do not:

Dwight Gooden, Devil Rays and Astros - I recuse myself because it's from after my retirement
Joe Namath, Rams - obviously yes

Steve Carlton, Indians and Giants - borderline, because it was big news at the time 

Pete Rose, Expos - no

Tom Seaver, Red Sox - yes

Tom Seaver, White Sox - definitely not

Tom Seaver, 1983 Mets - definitely not (the uniform is ugly due to the racing stripe; but Seaver's return was huge news)

Jerry Koosman, White Sox - yes
Carlton Fisk, White Sox - COME ON, MAN! Radom even acknowledges that Fisk played more for Chisox than Bosox

Mike Piazza, Marlins - yes

Rollie Fingers, Red Sox - yes (photographed before the trade was anulled by the Commissioner)

Boog Powell, Indians - obviously yes

Then they got into some more instances from well after my time following baseball, so I am not qualified to evaluate.

Trevor Hoffman, Brewers

Johnny Damon, Yankees (dubious; if Clemens and Boggs can become Yankees, then so can Damon)
Nomar Garciaparra, Cubs, Dodgers, A's

Mike Piazza, A's, Padres

Frank Thomas, A's, Blue Jays

Finally, they followed it up by mentioning a couple of players from my era who are known for playing for several teams: Rickey Henderson and Gaylord Perry, specifically mentioning Rickey's stints with the Dodgers and the Red Sox. I strongly disagree that any stop of Perry's can qualify.  His role in the Pine Tar Game gives importance even to his most obscure stop, that with the Royals. But, even given Rickey's peripatetic reputation, I will reluctantly grant that his time with the Dodgers and Red Sox is not very memorable. Even his stints with the Newark Bears are better known than those Major League stops.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

25 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

You're right, of course.

And that shows the problem with this thread.  It is more than 300 pages long, when really it should be about five to ten posts long.  That's how many fit into the category. There's Namath, Killebrew, Boog Powell, and a handful more.  That's it. 

This thread degenerated into a list of any player who ever changed teams, which means nothing, because almost every player not named "Joe DiMaggio" or "George Brett" has changed teams.

What's worse, there were several pictures that do not belong at all, an example of which is this Aaron picture.  Anyone who thinks that Aaron with the Brewers, Willie Mays with the Mets, or Pele with the Cosmos belongs on this just does not know history. Those teams are certainly secondary to those players' main teams; but each one of those secondary teams makes up an essential part of the player's legacy, in that one cannot possibly tell that player's story without mentioning his time with those secondary teams.  By contrast, Namath and Killebrew did nothing of note with the Rams or Royals, respectively, and so their time with those teams can reasonably be ignored when telling those players' stories.

I thought of this recently when I was listening to an episode of The Hall of Very Good podcast with Todd Radom and Uni Watch's Phil Hecken as guests, and they got onto the topic of guys in uniforms you don't think of them in.  The conversation begins at the 41:30 mark.  The guests and the host mention some instances that qualify for me, and others that do not:

Dwight Gooden, Devil Rays and Astros - I recuse myself because it's from after my retirement
Joe Namath, Rams - obviously yes

Steve Carlton, Indians and Giants - borderline, because it was big news at the time 

Pete Rose, Expos - no

Tom Seaver, Red Sox - yes

Tom Seaver, White Sox - definitely not

Tom Seaver, 1983 Mets - definitely not (the uniform is ugly due to the racing stripe; but Seaver's return was huge news)

Jerry Koosman, White Sox - yes
Carlton Fisk, White Sox - COME ON, MAN! Radom even acknowledges that Fisk played more for Chisox than Bosox

Mike Piazza, Marlins - yes

Rollie Fingers, Red Sox - yes (photographed before the trade was anulled by the Commissioner)

Boog Powell, Indians - obviously yes

Then they got into some more instances from well after my time following baseball, so I am not qualified to evaluate.

Trevor Hoffman, Brewers

Johnny Damon, Yankees (dubious; if Clemens and Boggs can become Yankees, then so can Damon)
Nomar Garciaparra, Cubs, Dodgers, A's

Mike Piazza, A's, Padres

Frank Thomas, A's, Blue Jays

Finally, they followed it up by mentioning a couple of players from my era who are known for playing for several teams: Rickey Henderson and Gaylord Perry, specifically mentioning Rickey's stints with the Dodgers and the Red Sox. I strongly disagree that any stop of Perry's can qualify.  His role in the Pine Tar Game gives importance even to his most obscure stop, that with the Royals. But, even given Rickey's peripatetic reputation, I will reluctantly grant that his time with the Dodgers and Red Sox is not very memorable. Even his stints with the Newark Bears are better known than those Major League stops.

3e3.jpg

• Like 7

XM4KeeA.png