Players in the "wrong" uniforms

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

No, it doesn't.  The white outline is totally unnecessary. 

I always thought white outlines looked good on grey baseball uniforms.

• Like 3

spacer.png

On 8/15/2018 at 11:55 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

David+Villa+Toronto+Blue+Jays+v+New+York+Yankees+Ph4KLCJB1qJl.jpg   Related image

Can you imagine?  A Yankee jersey with a name is bad enough, but to give one of the retired numbers to another sport's player is taking things too far. 

To be fair, that's his number with NYCFC... They usually just give a star from another sport their jersey number (or if you just won the triple crown #3)

mlbf_148945583_th_45.jpg

YVRMUBj.png

1 hour ago, Crabcake47 said:

I agree. The white outline (plus the sleeve trim) on that Dodger road set (worn from 1977-98) really made it pop. W/O those two elements (which is what their road jersey now looks like, or at least their alternate), it looks too much like their home jerseys.

UBwef0L.png

It doesn’t need to “pop”. It’s classic and classy without the unnecessary trim. I feel the same for the Yankees and Phillies. 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 hours ago, johnnysama said:

r406181_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=570

I don't know where this goes, but this is Adrian Beltre in his rookie year with the Dodgers in 1998, the last year the Dodgers wore this particular road uniform set. It needs to be brought back, IMO.

16 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

No, it doesn't.  The white outline is totally unnecessary. 

12 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

10 hours ago, johnnysama said:

I agree. The white outline (plus the sleeve trim) on that Dodger road set (worn from 1977-98) really made it pop. W/O those two elements (which is what their road jersey now looks like, or at least their alternate), it looks too much like their home jerseys.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It doesn’t need to “pop”. It’s classic and classy without the unnecessary trim. I feel the same for the Yankees and Phillies. 

Oh, yes it does.

The Yankees went from wearing wet paper bags on the road in 1972:

Image result for 1972 yankees

...to wearing sharp-looking road uniforms as of 1973:

Related image

This change was so good that the team hasn't felt the need to alter it in 45 years. (Though the Yankees did unfortunately make the uniform worse by pushing the words "New" and "York" too close together.)  Considering the Yankees' restrained uniform history, the 1973 change which brought in the addition of the white outlines on the road and also the varsity numbers has been the most significant improvement in their uniforms since the permanent addition of the NY monogram in the mid-1930s.

Plain dark letters on a grey jersey is just a really bad look.  The Red Sox looked awful in this:

Related image

...and looked positively appalling in this:

Image result for jim rice 1986

You need either a white outline, as the Yankees use and the Dodgers formerly used, or else some brighter colours, as the Red Sox have wisely returned to.

Image result for red sox 2018

Considering that the Phillies' letters are a bright red, they probably don't need the white outline on the road that the Yankees and Dodgers do.  But even they had a white outline on the classic uniforms on which the currents are based, starting from that set's introduction in 1950.

Related image  Image result for phillies richie ashburn

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 8/21/2018 at 10:50 PM, Around the Horn said:

To be fair, that's his number with NYCFC... They usually just give a star from another sport their jersey number (or if you just won the triple crown #3)

mlbf_148945583_th_45.jpg

Wow, I am really surprised to see this. A Yankee jersey with number 3 is so jarring. (Though, aesthetically, it looks much better without the name. That's the kind of jersey that Villa should have been given.)

You know, there was a short period during which the Yankees didn't even let their own old-timers wear retired numbers. Graig Nettles once had to wear number 6 at an Old-Timers Day instead of his number 9, because that number was later retired for Roger Maris. That was a ridiculous policy. But now they have swung to just as ridiculous a point in the other direction, as they let non-players come on the field wearing retired numbers.

• Like 4

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

3 hours ago, Placebo said:

#26 on Washington is Clinton Portis to me anyway. 

Yeah it's a little odd seeing another Redskins RB wearing 26 besides Portis even after the number was used by defensive players for 7 consecutive seasons after Portis retired

Josh Wilson (2011-13)

Oshiomogho+Atogwe+Josh+Wilson+Washington

Bashaud Breeland (2014-17)

Andre+Johnson+Bashaud+Breeland+Washingto

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Yeah it's a little odd seeing another Redskins RB wearing 26 besides Portis even after the number was used by defensive players for 7 consecutive seasons after Portis retired

Josh Wilson (2011-13)

Oshiomogho+Atogwe+Josh+Wilson+Washington

Bashaud Breeland (2014-17)

Andre+Johnson+Bashaud+Breeland+Washingto

Doesn't look right to me!

23 hours ago, fgoodwin said:

HOFer Larry Allen as a Forty-Niner

Larry_Allen_in_2007.jpg

This is doubly "wrong" because for most of Allen's two years with the 49ers, they wore their 1998-2008 set with the drop shadow numbers. They only wore the uniform Allen is wearing for two games - 2007 vs. Arizona and 2007 vs. St. Louis (the game this picture is from - you can see the shoulder of a Rams player). Here's Allen in his more standard 49ers uniform:

20130801_040829_0802allen1.jpg

• Like 2
oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

college-football-oklahoma-qb-troy-aikman

Going a bit further back on this one: Before Troy Aikman suited up for the Cowboys, or even the UCLA Bruins, his collegeiate career started at Oklahoma. Jamelle Holieway took over after he got injured, and that would ultimately pave the way to Aikman's arrival to UCLA.

• Like 3

UBwef0L.png