United Football League

random_ax

As most of you probably know by now, there's going to be a new pro football league in August of 2008. This league will have franchises in cities without NFL teams. The reasons that this league might actually succeed (that doesn't mean compete with the NFL) are these:

The league will play its games on Friday nights with high school football its only competition football-wise

The owners will all be gazillionaires (for example, Mark Cuban) so they won't fold for financial reasons like the USFL and XFL

The league will go after players who would most likely be third to seventh round picks in the NFL so they can throw first round money at third round talent....remember, Tom Brady was a sixth rounder.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, with that in mind.... here are the likley cities per their website...and here's some suggestions for team names. I'm hoping they don't end up with "soccer" or AAA Baseball names like LA Express, Portland Power or Memphis Hound Dogs.

I think the NFL does it right. They name teams after predatory or cunning animals, tough occupations or warriors. Okay, Saints and Cardinals not so much. Names like Manatees or Mud Puppies or Meadow Larks work in AAA baseball but, to me, a pro football team's name and logo should be something a warrior could emblazon on a shield or banner. No Padres or Twins or Cavaliers. No singular names like Heat or Magic or Wild.

The cities slated for UFL teams....Austin, Birmingham, Columbus, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Louisville, Memphis, New York, Oklahoma City, Orlando, Raleigh, Sacramento and San Antonio.

Austin Nightwings.... Congress Bridge in Austin is home to nearly a million bats so it would be a good tie-in for a name. How about Austin Space...get it...Lost in Space...Austin...never mind.

Birmingham Mammoths.... Birmingham has always supported its pro football teams (Vulcans, Stallions, Americans, Fire) and since many of you hated the CFL entry Birmingham Barracudas because the city is not on the coast........

Columbus Warhawks...just like the name

Las Vegas Yellowjackets..... I think that a league would shy away from any association to crime or gambling so Gamblers, Outlaws, Bandits, Posse and Desperadoes are out.... Vipers?

Los Angeles Condors.... California Condors are indigenous to California (duh) and it IS the largest bird-of-prey on the planet. Another suggestion LA Lobos with a wolf-head logo.

Louisville Sluggers...just kidding....Louisville Leopards...or is that just asking for Leper jokes?

Memphis Copperheads... I know the copperhead (snake) was a suggestion for the Tennessee franchise in the NFL before they went with Titans.

New York Knights...sure, it's borrowed from THE NATURAL but it does sound good.

Oklahoma City Mustangs...please, Bombers would have been cruel and Okies is a high school name.

Orlando Sea Devils...with NFL Europa folding...the logo and name aren't busy..... or even Sea Wolves to use a defunct Arena Football name.... and of course Stingrays or Hammerheads are out there.

Raleigh Roosters...nah, how about Rhinos?... Anybody have any good suggestions for a Raleigh team?

Sacramento Centaurs.... different..of course, Centaurs aren't indigenous to California, most are in Canada I'm sure.

San Antonio Scorpions.... cool, man.

Toronto Hurons....okay, today most pro leagues shy away from Indian names...I agree with Drew Carey when he stated that if Indians didn't want us to name teams after them, they should've fought harder. I don't know how the rest of you feel but I think an Indian logo can honor someone...I'm of Norse descent and Vikings doesn't bother me in the least. And there's always the Toronto Torontonians...worked for the Texans...how about Toronto Saurus Rex?

I don't know why Portland wasn't on their list but I'll add it here.

Portland Lumberjacks

Look forward to your suggestions. And maybe your comments on whether the league will survive more than 3 seasons.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm... my 2 favorites from yours are the San Antonio Scorpions and the Oklahoma City Mustangs. Those sound like decent football team names. Most of the others... "Warhawks", "Nightwings", "Yellowjackets"(especially Yellowjackets) and "Sea Devils" all sounds decidedly HS or college.

In the spirit of the thread, here's my choices(and I do hope this league gets off the ground, just because it'd be a whole new set of logos and uni's to discuss/mock):

Since Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Mexico City are already being setup, I'll do them first.

Los Angeles Runaways. I confess most people's first inclination might be that they runaway from the game, but I think it could work. It would mean a few things:

- A play on the word Runway, referencing LAX, one of the world's most important airports

- Referencing how people often runaway to LA to pursue their dreams, etc, etc

- How the team will run away with the ball in an offensive explosion

- (And as a joke, referencing how both LA NFL teams bolted town)

Las Vegas Pioneers. Las Vegas means "The Meadows", and was a common stopover for pioneers on the trail out west. Since then, the city(or rather its residents) have pioneered a unique culture and atmosphere unlike any in the united states. On a side note, I happen to think that Pioneers is a great name for a sports team and I'm amazed it's not used in any of the 4 sports leagues, especially anywhere west of the Mississippi.

Mexico City Topos. Maybe only residents of Mexico City will understand the name here, but Topos is the Spanish word for groundhogs. The Topos corps was formed in response to the 1985 Mexico City eartquake. The corps saved countless lives during the aftermath of the quake.

I did some reading on the UFL, and if their intention is to capitalize on the major markets not currently occupied by the NFL teams, here are my choices for the other 5 teams:

Orlando Soldiers - Tying in to area's extensive military history and the myth that the area was named after a soldier named Orlando Reeves(even though it wasn't).

San Antonio Scorpions - I love the name already suggested.

Oklahoma City - Same for OKC - Mustangs would be fine in my book.

Birmingham Vulcans - Named for Vulcan's Tower, a huge statue is Birmingham. Vulcan was the Roman god of fire and the forge.

Louisville Stallions - I think it'd be a great name for the Derby City.

Orlando and San Antonio are big markets that I think could absorb another pro team. Oklahoma City, Birmingham and Louisville are college-hotbeds that I think would really warm up to a pro team being in town(the XFL's Birmingham Thunderbolts had the highest attendance of all 8 teams).

Yes... a very, very south + western league. But think about it. Where in the Northeast could you put a team where they wouldn't be in direct conflict with one of the teams here? I knocked out New York(Jets and Giants), Columbus(Ohio's Browns and Bengals), Raleigh(Charlotte's Carolina Panthers) and Memphis(Tennessee Titans) for that reason. I feel fans in these areas, for now, have an allegiance to one of those teams. I only knocked out Austin and Sacramento because I believe a fledgling league shouldn't put 2 teams in the same state its inaugural year(I chose Orlando and San Antonio instead). From what I know, the CFL is fairly popular in Canada and I wouldn't put a team up directly against the Argonauts to begin.

Just my thoughts... I'd be excited to see it take off!

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

Portland Lumberjacks?

Wouldn't some kind of legal battle happen with the lumberjax of the NLL if they did that?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Hmmm... my 2 favorites from yours are the San Antonio Scorpions and the Oklahoma City Mustangs. Those sound like decent football team names. Most of the others... "Warhawks", "Nightwings", "Yellowjackets"(especially Yellowjackets) and "Sea Devils" all sounds decidedly HS or college.

In the spirit of the thread, here's my choices(and I do hope this league gets off the ground, just because it'd be a whole new set of logos and uni's to discuss/mock):

Since Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Mexico City are already being setup, I'll do them first.

Los Angeles Runaways. I confess most people's first inclination might be that they runaway from the game, but I think it could work. It would mean a few things:

- A play on the word Runway, referencing LAX, one of the world's most important airports

- Referencing how people often runaway to LA to pursue their dreams, etc, etc

- How the team will run away with the ball in an offensive explosion

- (And as a joke, referencing how both LA NFL teams bolted town)

Las Vegas Pioneers. Las Vegas means "The Meadows", and was a common stopover for pioneers on the trail out west. Since then, the city(or rather its residents) have pioneered a unique culture and atmosphere unlike any in the united states. On a side note, I happen to think that Pioneers is a great name for a sports team and I'm amazed it's not used in any of the 4 sports leagues, especially anywhere west of the Mississippi.

Mexico City Topos. Maybe only residents of Mexico City will understand the name here, but Topos is the Spanish word for groundhogs. The Topos corps was formed in response to the 1985 Mexico City eartquake. The corps saved countless lives during the aftermath of the quake.

I did some reading on the UFL, and if their intention is to capitalize on the major markets not currently occupied by the NFL teams, here are my choices for the other 5 teams:

Orlando Soldiers - Tying in to area's extensive military history and the myth that the area was named after a soldier named Orlando Reeves(even though it wasn't).

San Antonio Scorpions - I love the name already suggested.

Oklahoma City - Same for OKC - Mustangs would be fine in my book.

Birmingham Vulcans - Named for Vulcan's Tower, a huge statue is Birmingham. Vulcan was the Roman god of fire and the forge.

Louisville Stallions - I think it'd be a great name for the Derby City.

Orlando and San Antonio are big markets that I think could absorb another pro team. Oklahoma City, Birmingham and Louisville are college-hotbeds that I think would really warm up to a pro team being in town(the XFL's Birmingham Thunderbolts had the highest attendance of all 8 teams).

Yes... a very, very south + western league. But think about it. Where in the Northeast could you put a team where they wouldn't be in direct conflict with one of the teams here? I knocked out New York(Jets and Giants), Columbus(Ohio's Browns and Bengals), Raleigh(Charlotte's Carolina Panthers) and Memphis(Tennessee Titans) for that reason. I feel fans in these areas, for now, have an allegiance to one of those teams. I only knocked out Austin and Sacramento because I believe a fledgling league shouldn't put 2 teams in the same state its inaugural year(I chose Orlando and San Antonio instead). From what I know, the CFL is fairly popular in Canada and I wouldn't put a team up directly against the Argonauts to begin.

All very good thoughts man, I really like your thoughts.

I bet you that American football in any form would do well here(Toronto), listen to all the rumors you want to about how well the NFL (or any American football) would be received here, i've never met anyone opposed to the idea. In fact, I'd probably be in line for season tickets myself.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

They don't yet have owners with deep pockets. They announced their intent to launch, and since then, not much more. I think the UFL may go the way of the AAFL and a bunch of other leagues - that is to say, not playing a game. The reason? The UFL hasn't followed up on its initial release with ANYTHING substantive. Those of us who remember the USFL remember it's launch was followed, at least weekly, with information about the league's development - a naming of a team here, the signing of someone to a team's front office there, signing a player to a contract here, executing a stadium lease there. Thus far, none of this type of stuff has happened for the UFL, which makes me suspicious.

That said, most of the names above aren't all that marketable in 21st century America. They would simply seem cartoonish from day one or dated within a few years. New York Knights would launch a lawsuit (the WLAF threw New Jersey into its name for just that reason), and considering that Orlando's pretty much inland, Sea Devils would have people scratching their heads.

Not that I have better suggestions though.

nav-logo.png

Austin Lone Stars - obvious right? State Capital and Texans was already taken.

Birmingham Steel -"pittsburgh of the south" one of a few places in the world where all elements of steel can be found

Columbus Cardinals - buckeyes was taken, state capital so thats the state bird. not original but...it is OhiO

Las Vegas Outlaws - not original but hey, if it aint broke...

Los Angeles Condors - nice call and it will stick. I have been tinkering with that one for a while

Louisville Colonels or Thorobreds - Colonels are a real thing in this state. But I gotta go with the Breds.

Memphis Blues - perfect, just perfect!

New York Empire - simple classy, NY

Oklahoma City Oilers - or something to that effect.

Orlando Lightning - Mouskateers was already taken, Suns was a close second

Raleigh Oaks - If there can be Cardinal and Buckeyes then damnit give the City of Oaks some slack (hell its been done before)

Sacramento Bears - State capital again (coincidence?) gotta be the Bears!

San Antonio Toros - SA is more spanish than most Texas cities, so I went with the bulls....

You may have something of a point with those other cities, but no f***in' way would any self-respecting Memphan claim a Nashville team as their own and vice versa. There's a reason the Oilers moved from the Liberty Bowl to Vanderbilt Stadium in mid season even though the latter was extremely undersized (by NFL standards). Both cities think they're the flagship city for Tennessee and have developed a natural rivalry that makes it impossible to unify the entire state with a team that plays in one city or the other.

At least that's what my homeboy from Memphis would say if he posted here :D

Austin Lone Stars - obvious right? State Capital and Texans was already taken.

Birmingham Steel -"pittsburgh of the south" one of a few places in the world where all elements of steel can be found

Columbus Cardinals - buckeyes was taken, state capital so thats the state bird. not original but...it is OhiO

Las Vegas Outlaws - not original but hey, if it aint broke...

Los Angeles Condors - nice call and it will stick. I have been tinkering with that one for a while

Louisville Colonels or Thorobreds - Colonels are a real thing in this state. But I gotta go with the Breds.

Memphis Blues - perfect, just perfect!

New York Empire - simple classy, NY

Oklahoma City Oilers - or something to that effect.

Orlando Lightning - Mouskateers was already taken, Suns was a close second

Raleigh Oaks - If there can be Cardinal and Buckeyes then damnit give the City of Oaks some slack (hell its been done before)

Sacramento Bears - State capital again (coincidence?) gotta be the Bears!

San Antonio Toros - SA is more spanish than most Texas cities, so I went with the bulls....

I don't think most of your choices would work....mainly because they are identical or close to existing pro teams.

Orlando Lightning....real close to the Tampa Lightning in the same state...why use an existing NFL name for your UFL franchise?

Oklahoma City Oilers....maybe now that the NFL retired the name

Sacramento Bears.... why copy the Chicago Bears of the rival league?

San Antonio Toros...... that works.

Raleigh Oaks...okay, that works.

Las Vegas Outlaws,maybe

Memphis Blues....again, there's already a St. Louis Blues

Lousiville Colonels or Thorobreds...maybe

New York Empire...Empires works for em but I think the UFL should stay away from singular names like Empire.

Colombus Cardinals...already two cardinal teams in pro sports

Birmingham Steel..... too close to Steelers...but Vulcans might work.

"Warhawks", "Nightwings", "Yellowjackets"(especially Yellowjackets) and "Sea Devils" all sounds decidedly HS or college."

I'm not seeing how those are high school or college names. I mean, yes, Georgia Tech has the Yellowjackets but there was the Frankford Yellowjackets in the NFL, Warhawks is just another variation like Seahawks or Blackhawks or Hawks...it has a ruthless connotation and yes, I do know some high school teams named that but I don't think it screams high school. Sea Devils was the name of the NFL Europa entry so not sure that is college or high school. Nightwings...... just a cooler name than Austin Bats.

But I enjoyed your feedback and look forward to more. A new league, whether it lasts or not, will provide new logos...and that's why we post here, right?

We'll see what happens. According to Michael Huyghue, the commissioner, the owners/cities will be named in the next two weeks.

Orlando has already been granted a team. I'd be surprised if Mexico City or Monterrey gets a team. The league will concentrate on the US first, then Mexico, London, Germany.

Having said that, Sea Devils is an awful name for Orlando. Do something unusual I say but not like the idiots at the XFL. Don't forget Huyghue was president of the Birmingham Fire and the owners were the Maloofs, If Birmingham gets a team, g-d forbid, it will incorporate some element of Steel (the southern steel city). Fire was an ode to it, as were Vulcans and Steeldogs. Orlando should go back to being the Thunder with those outrageous lime green unis. g-d forbid Vegas gets a team. A humongous waste. Louisville would be cool, but accentuate the fact they are a modern, demographically growing city. LA? Please. And NY is on board to get a team, owned by you guessed it, Charles Wang. Don't even get me started on that. How about the Invincibles?

Austin: Lawmen (possible reference to Texas' Ranger Division)

Birmingham: Magicians/Wizards (one of Birmingham's nicknames is the Magic City); Stallions (named after the old USFL team); or Vulcans (named after the old World Football League team and for the Vulcan's statue in Vulcan Park; also a reference to the city's steel and iron production industry)

Columbus: Redbirds (since the Cardinal is Ohio's official state bird); or Senators (since Columbus is the capital city of Ohio)

Las Vegas: Bighorns (Nevada's official state mammal is the Desert Bighorn Sheep)

Los Angeles: Breakers (California is known for surfing); or Stars (reference to Hollywood, lol)

Louisville: Thoroughbreds (obviously, Louisville is home of "The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports": the Kentucky Derby)

Memphis: RiverDogs (The City of Memphis sits along the Mississippi River)

Mexico City: Warriors

New York: Emperors (obviously, New York is known as the Empire State, and New York City is called the Empire City)

Oklahoma City: Storm/Tornadoes (Tornadoes have been common in the state of Oklahoma)

Orlando: Renegades (named after yet another USFL team)

Raleigh/Durham: Oaks (Raleigh is known for its many oak trees, hence its nickname, the "City of Oaks")

Sacramento: Gold Miners (reference to the first U.S. CFL team during the ill-fated CFL-USA project)

San Antonio: Riders (named after a team from the old World League of American Football)

Toronto: Lakers (the city is located on the shore of Lake Ontario)

YOZXkBG.png?1

SA Toros is historic. They had a minor league football team named Toros down there for 30 years.

Not to mention these famous Toros:

chip.jpg

chip2.jpg

babybear.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Some of these locations are kinda hard, but I'll give it my best shot.

Austin Bulls (perhaps horns on the helmets.....oooooo)

Birmingham Rebels

Columbus Senators (agree with JH42XCC)

Las Vegas Aces

Los Angeles Stars

Louisville (are you kidding me? LOUISVILLE?) Racers

Memphis Blues

Mexico City Aztecs

New York Empire

Oklahoma City Lightning (Ive been there once - and all it did was rain and storm there)

Orlando Rockets

Raliegh/Durham Flyers

Sacremento Vipers

San Antonio Soldiers

Toronto Northmen

I know its not my best suggestions, but some of these were hard so I tried. I cant wait to see this league kick off to see how it goes. Maybe third times a charm (USFL, XFL......)

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Some of the names you guys suggested are perfect!

*California Condors

*Raleigh Oaks

*San Antonio Scorpions

*Columbus Crusaders

*Toronto Hurons

*Mexico City Topos

Others need some work.

Austin- I'd go with 'Peacemakers', because, like most Americans, when I think of Texas, I think of cowboys and indians. Speaking of which, 'Apaches' wouldn't be a bad name, come to think of it.

Birmingham- I really like how much sense the name 'Vulcans' makes, but I always think of Mr. Spock when I hear it. I think 'Bullets' sounds good, though.

Las Vegas- JH42XCC already suggested the name 'Bighorns', which makes sense and sounds good, plus, it's unique. However, I think 'Lights' sounds better and makes more sense. Good luck coming up with a logo for that one!

Louisville- If Louisville ever gets a pro franchise, regardless of sport, it'll be named the Kentucky Colonels. The Metro Council has already stated that much when they were trying to woo the Rockets and Hornets. They even inked a deal with KFC to sponsor a hypothetical stadium nicknamed 'The Bucket'. Swear ta God.(I live in Salem, Indiana, which is only about a 25-minute drive from Louisville. Although it's in the middle of nowhere, we pick up Louisville's radio and television stations.)

Memphis- I really like 'Copperheads'. It sounds good and makes sense, since they're indigenous to the area. However, Omnibus suggested 'Blues'. What if we took that one step further and called them the 'Bluenotes'?

New York- 'Knights' sounds really good. However, 'Emporers' makes a lot of sense. I can't pick.

Oklahoma City- 'Mustangs' sounds good and makes sense, but what about 'Cyclones'? I like it!

Orlando- For some reason, I keep coming back to 'Sharks'. Anyone besides me like the name 'Destroyers'?

Sacramento- 'Miners' makes a lot of sense, but I don't think it has a nice ring to it. What about 'Sea Lions' or 'Stingrays'?

Any takers?

Sigs are for sissies.

AUSTIN

Stay away from music and bats themes, they're obvious and touristy. Nightwings sounds silly,no offense (It makes me think of a local tv dinner called NightHawks). Western themes still work around here so maybe lean in that direction, or use one of the suggestions above. Central Texas has a lot of hills, rivers, twisted oaks, cactus, snakes, scorpions etc etc, so maybe draw some inspiration from that, or google Austin for pictures. Good luck, though I never see pro football working here unless the team wears burnt orange and is called the Longhorns. It has a chance in San Antonio, though.

newsig.jpg

Austin Nightwings.... Congress Bridge in Austin is home to nearly a million bats so it would be a good tie-in for a name. How about Austin Space...get it...Lost in Space...Austin...never mind.

nightwing.jpg

Don't make Dick angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Archived