Media Guides...

Shumway

For basically my final graphic design project of my college career, I'm creating a minor league baseball team from scratch, meaning I have to create a media guide for the team. The problem is, I'm not sure at all what goes into a media guide, or even what one really is. At the moment, I have logos and uniforms done, but I'm stuck as to where to go next. I'm working on merchandising right now and hoping to get permission to use images of a stadium to photoshop my logos into. I doubt all of these things go into a media guide, but if anyone could tell me what goes in there, I'd appreciate it. Also, if anyone has ideas of what else I could incorporate into my project, that'd be a great help as well.

You'll have to put your MLB affiliate in there and other minor league clubs. Info on owner of the minor league team plus pictures of the support staff(ticket mgr, groudskeepers,etc). A team history would be helpful and a page about the stadium. Top prospects within the organization and which team they expect to be with that season and a roster of players who should be on your club with bios and career stats. You'll need and All-Time Records page(s) also and don't forget the schedule for the year.

2qluyo7.png

How about consulting an actual media guide? Most colleges put their's online (pro teams can sell them, so why give them away, even online, for free?). Here's a few of the one's I've used covering Bemidji State:

D-I Men's Hockey

D-II Football

Also, here's some guides I've checked just for informational purposes:

Vanderbilt's Football Media Guide

Minnesota Football Media Guide

Now, I know that college is a bit different than pro, but I've got a few NFL, NHL and MLB media guides as well, and besides being a bit more in-depth (the Cubs media guide is 336 pages, compared to the 107 pages of the BSU hockey one - of course, the Cubs have 131 years of history to cover, compared to 50 years for BSU hockey), they have the same basic lay-out.

Moose

Another thing to do is contact SIDs at various schools and ask if they have any extra media guides.

I had a class project and sent out a form letter (e-mail) to about 200 schools telling them about my project.

For the next 2 months I received about 150 old media guides (which I still have).

You are a f-in God! Thank you so much for finding this. I have been trying for about three years or so to find all of the interleague play results, but as records, not game by game. I did find it through baseball-reference but it is a pain in the ass to go head-by-head to get the results. This is amazing. Thanks!

Archived