*CONTEST* - NHA REDESIGN PROJECT

Brass

NATIONAL HOCKEY ASSOCIATION TO REDESIGN LEAGUE, UNIFORMS

Hartford (AP) - - The National Hockey Association has announced that they will go under a "uniform and logo overhaul" for their 2009 season, pertaining to all 30 clubs.

"We want to rebrand the entire league. Make it more pleasing to the eye and something that all fans of all teams can be proud of!" says their commissioner.

You heard it, folks! The National Hockey Association will redesign their entire league and guess who they hired? The loyal members of Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Community! Here's how it works.

- Any CCSLC registered member may take part in the contest.

- CCSLC members pick one team from the American Conference and one team from the National Conference.

- You will design a home uniform, away uniform and main logo for your team.

- You have one week to design the package.

- Then, the playoffs start. One team random teams gets a bye in the first round.

- Placement of other team's will be totally random and done through a drawing in a hat.

- CCSLC members vote on whom has the better overall package and the winner of each round, advances to the next round.

- When the next round arrives, a new challenge awaits. You have one week to complete each challenge.

- This contest is for FUN, so please don't cheat and please be civil! :)

So who are the teams? What's each team's history? Who's their star player? Well, here ya go:

Anaheim Red Barons - American Conference - TAKEN

The Anaheim Red Barons have a rich history of tradition, however, they have never won the Cup! The Red Barons have made the finals 5 times, but have never come up with anything. Their current top player is Chris Drury, their captain, who has been with the team since they drafted him in 1994. The Red Barons have always used the colour red, but have rotated throughout the years with black and dark blue as their secondary colour. They want to keep a traditional look, but would like a small dose of new age "hip" to their uniforms.

Arizona Storm - American Conference - TAKEN

The Storm have had a basically mediocre run. They have never gotten past the second round of the playoffs, and their uniform history is even more wacky! When they arrived in the league in 1992, they sported grey uniforms, trimmed in black and lime green. In 1998, they transfered to a black, blue and yellow look that didn't go over so well with the fans. They have played with red, grey and black since 2001, but fans still actually urge for the lime green, black and grey to make a return. Goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin, who came over in a trade with Austin in 2002, says he wouldn't mind staying with the current duds, but if the fans want the lime green, they should get it.

Atlanta Striped Bandits - National Conference - TAKEN

The most decorated team in the National Hockey Association history has a rich history of tradition of excellence and with 17 Cups, why shouldn't they? Their white home uniforms, trimmed in red with a yellow accent, have represented class for decades. Martin Brodeur, a lifelong Striped Bandit, says he would play in nothing but their current look and hoping a redesign doesn't get too far away from the traditional look.

Austin Stars - American Conference - TAKEN

The Austin Stars have been a team that has never really "peaked". Making the playoffs just 4 out of their 15 years in existence, it's a wonder they haven packed their bags and moved out of Texas, considering each year they lose fans to their in-state rival Dallas. Many people have called for the retirement of captain Mike Ricci, who got the enforcer in a deadline deal with Boise in 2000. The Austin Stars have stuck with their traditional look of red, white and blue and would like to keep their current colours, however they want a complete overhaul!

Boise Spuds - American Conference - TAKEN

One of the most decorated teams in the American Conference, the Boise Spuds have been to the Cup finals 5 times and have come up big 3 of those times. The Spuds have used the colour combination of hunter green, lime green and brown for most of their existence, and it's gone over well with fans, as the Spuds have been consistently been one of the top selling jersey teams in the league. One of their star players, Jaromir Jagr, recently came off of an MVP award and signed a long term extension with the Spuds, most likely inking a deal to end his career in Boise.

Boston Blades - National Conference - TAKEN

The Boston Blades won back-to-back Cups in 1986 and 1987, but have come up short ever since. A consistent team in the playoffs, the Blades have just failed to put together another Cup contending team. The team raised eyebrows when they named young defenseman Jay Bouwmeester has their captain in the summer of 2006, as they traded their then-captain Jarome Iginla to Dallas. The Blades raised even more eyebrows when they contemplated getting rid of their classic yellow, red and blue uniforms in favor of something more "classic".

Buffalo Wolves - National Conference - TAKEN

The Buffalo Wolves are another classic example of a team that has been to the finals, but don't have much to show for it. Despite attending the Cup Finals a total of 5 times, they have only won it once, defeating the Anaheim Red Barons in 2003, ironically, another team that just can't win when it counts. Many people deemed this series "The Finals That Won't Have A Winner". The Buffalo Wolves currently use blue, grey and red as their colours, a combination that starting goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere calls "perfect.

Chicago Ducks - National Conference - TAKEN

The Chicago Ducks have won 2 Cups in their 16 year existence, but their uniforms have been the subject of conversation in the Windy City. Starting out with a yellow, orange and green conversation, the Ducks have always been the owners of the most "bizarre and wacky" uniforms in the National Hockey Association, but it's a distinction that they had enjoyed. Now, they seem to have become more serious when it comes to a traditional hockey look. The Ducks have phased out yellow as their primary colour in favor of hunter green in the past few years, but they still use yellow and orange as secondary colours. Defenseman Jason Smith recently said "I loved our crazy jerseys when I came here in 2002, but I wouldn't mind seeing a more traditional look in the near future."

Dallas Blazers - American Conference - TAKEN

The Dallas Blazers have been a top team in the American Conference since the late 90's and are infamous for "stealing" the fans from the Austin Stars, taking shots at the struggling franchise whenever they can. The Blazers, like the stars, have used the colours red, white and blue throughout their team's history. However, as Austin tends to emphasize red more than blue, the Blazers heavily emphasize blue and leave red on the "back burner". Captain Jarome Iginla has stated that he hopes blue is involved with the new uniforms.

Delaware Devils - National Conference - TAKEN

The Devils arrived in the NHA in 1995 and have risen to a very respectable position in the league. Struggling for most of the late 90's and early 2000's, the Devils have evolved into one of the top teams in the National Conference and even finished as the best team in the league last year! When they were introduced in 1995, the Devils arrived with orange, yellow and red uniforms. In 2001, they introduced blue and red jerseys that didn't sit too well with fans, and in 2004, they went back to their original look. Young gun Ryan Getzlaf has said that he isn't thrilled with their current look and is excited at the possibility of a new uniform overhaul to represent "the new generation of Devil fans and players."

Denver Explorers - American Conference - TAKEN

The Denver Explorers have had two very different uniform sets, but both have been extremely popular with fans. They started with a brown and black set that fans loved and in 2003, they introduced a black and blue set that fans loved even more! Their logo, however, has always been their popular mascot Petey the Pioneer. Defenseman Marc-Andre Bergeron has stated, "I've been here for a while, and been a fan of the team for a while, and I can't imagine anything with Petey not on it. The fans love him. The players love him. So why change?"

Detroit Turbos - National Conference - TAKEN

In 1993, the Motor City was granted an NHA Expansion franchise. Almost 15 years later, the team team is still cellar dwellers. Only obtaining playoffs spot 3 times, they have consistently been an example of bad management. The Turbos arrived in 1993 with purple and silver uniforms, before switching to sea green and gold in 1998. In 2005, they introduced rose and gold colour uniforms, but the fans have made it known that they want the sea green and gold back. Some sites such as BringBackSeaGreen.org and NoMoreRoseAndGold.com, have been the headquarters of anti-current Turbo uniforms. Craig Conroy, whom the Turbos signed a lucrative 7 year, $70 million deal after he scored the game winning goal Cup final goal for New York in 2004, recently said "I love the sea green and gold. The fans want it. Give it to them!"

Edmonton Lynx - National Conference - TAKEN

The Edmonton Lynx currently hold the record for 11 straight Canadian Division titles. The Lynx, arrived in 1987 sports blue uniforms, with red and yellow subtly used. In 1999, the introduced their current uniforms, consisting of dark blue, light blue and black. The jerseys have been popular with fans and the players seem to like them. Captain Chris Pronger has always voiced his opinion on how much he loves the uniforms, although an update would be nice.

Hartford Moose - National Conference - TAKEN

The Hartford Moose have always been a successful team in the Constitution State. Going 3 for 4 in Cup finals, is not too shabby. The Moose and their fans love their Christmas-y red, green and brown uniforms. Pavel Datsyuk recently said, "I'm just not a fan. I feel like a Christmas tree. I think we could do better."

Honolulu Tropicals - American Conference - TAKEN

The Tropicals are another team that hasn't had a lot of success in the NHA, but their product sales have been off the charts. Fans love their sea green, yellow and sand colour informs. Their current logo is just a small island with a palm tree and a hockey stick in it, but fans love the simplicity. "What's better than playing hockey, looking good and enjoying the sun?" says captain and long-time Tropical player Scott Niedermayer.

Kansas City Angels - American Conference - TAKEN

Always sporting pride and tradition, the Angels have formed a very successful organization. 5 Cups in their history is nothing to complain about and their dark blue, powder blue and yellow uniforms have gone almost untouched ever since their inception into the NHA. Fans love the look and don't want much changed!

Los Angeles Stampede - American Conference - TAKEN

The Stampede have not been a successful franchise. Making the playoffs just 3 times in their 16 year history, the fans want a fresh start and new uniforms. Their current light brown, blue and white uniforms are wanted off the racks by Stampede fans in order to "start over". This year, the Stampede drafted highly touted prospect Steve Stamkos, who was reported as saying "I don't want to sound as if I think I'm some superstar, but I would love to come to Los Angeles if they went through with their idea of a 'fresh start'."

Minnesota Warriors - American Conference - TAKEN

The Minnesota Warriors have one of the most loyal fan bases in the National Hockey Association. Through their late 70's glory years to their lower-than-low period of 1989-1994, the Warrior faithful have always had a soft spot for their beloved hometown team. Their classic red, black and white uniforms have transcended generations and the fans wouldn't have it any other way. Goalie Ryan Miller has stated "This is my hometown team, I love them, and the colours are classic. I would love to see a new logo, however. The profile of the Indian head should go for something more updated, but the fans love the colours, so keep 'em!"

Montana Cowboys - American Conference - TAKEN

The Black and Blue jerseys of the Montana Cowboys have been a staple for Northern US hockey for years. Housing hockey legends from Wayne Gretzky to Kevin Lower, the Cowboys have a proud history of tradition, though their current players would like something to distinct their team from teams in the past. "We struggle for identity." says Georges Laraque "Everyone sees us out their in the uniforms and wants Wayne Gretzky or Mike Richter to come out and play. That's now how it works. We have a special team and we want people to know that."

New York Scrappers - National Conference - TAKEN

The 3-time Cup winners roam the streets of Broadway and Park Avenue in the classic red, white and blue. Blue, the primary colour, complimented by red and white, represent the history, pride and tradition of this franchise. "We love 'em" says Marek Malik. "We represent New York well, but I think a new logo and new uniforms are in order. Let's try something new. Go crazy. Make something the fans will remember, but love, too."

Ottawa Presidents - National Conference - TAKEN

The first ever Cup winners haven't changed much since the 1960's. Orange and black have been their colours and their jerseys remain the same. "We're pretty plain." jokes Chris Neil "But that's okay. Hopefully this whole redesign project will inject some 'hip-ness' into our look."

Pittsburgh Knights - National Conference - TAKEN

The Knights have been a moderately successful team in the NHA. Although they have never reached the finals, they have been to the National Conference Finals 3 times, only to be swept twice and bow out in 5 games in 2006. The Knights originally started out with black, blue, grey and yellow uniforms, but exchanged those in 1998. In return, they obtained purple, grey and yellow uniforms, which are moderately popular with fans. "I think it's time for a nice change." says assistant captain Marty Lapointe "New logo, new uniforms, everything."

Portland Beavers - American Conference

Another top team in the American Conference, the Beavers have won 8 Division titles, 3 Conference titles and 2 Cups. Their current uniform set includes the colours red, brown and white, with black slightly used. The Beavers have always housed a very physical, yet very talented club. "We pride ourselves on working hard and being physical. Beating our opponent both physically AND on the scoreboard." said Joe Sakic.

Rochester Wings - National Conference - TAKEN

Although the Wings don't have a very successful past, the fans in Rochester have a lot to look forward to. The Wings have been voted as the "Team of the Future". Led by goaltending prospect Carey Price and young gun Evgeni Malkin, people should look forward to successful seasons out of the Wings. Their red, black and white has stuck, but with the new generation of Wings in town, the team might want to consider and entire overhaul.

San Diego Manatees - American Conference - TAKEN

The 2-time Cup winners wear their green and tan uniforms with pride. The Manatees have changed their look several times, but have stuck with a traditional look. "We've always had a traditional look, and that's all well and good." says Vesa Toskala "But I think we can come up with something better that reflects our region and our team better."

Seattle Rough Riders - American Conference - TAKEN

The Seattle Rough Riders had moderate success in their NHA history, but when they struggled in the 2003-04 season, they struck gold and won the draft lottery, landing Russian sensation Alexander Ovechkin. Ovechkin has said that the current green and yellow uniforms are "Okay", but also states that "They look like something from the 70's. I want something new, cutting edge and something the league has never seen."

South Carolina Rays - National Conference - TAKEN

The Rays are a new expansion franchise in the NHA and are still awaiting an identity for their first season. "I've talked with the players and we want something we can be proud of. Whether it be sun rays or devil rays, it's what the fans voted on and it's what they want." says new starting goalie Jean-Sebastein Aubin.

St. Louis Rivermen - American Conference - TAKEN

The bitter rivals of the Kansas City Angels, the River Men recently changed their red, blue and yellow color scheme to a light blue, orange and dark blue set. The fans liked the look, but the team is willing to go in a new direction if need be. After signing free agent winger Marian Hossa to a lucrative new deal, might the Rivermen signal the dawn of a new era?

Toronto Bulldogs - National Conference

The tough and rugged bulldogs squad have sported the same gold, silver and black jerseys for most of their existence. They have toiled with the idea of a new look, but nothing has ever came out of it. They have a nice tradition of winning in their veins and hope to continue that in the future. "I think a change would do some good" says David Legwand. "Besides, the look is slightly dated and I think a new direction would be great for the team."

Winnipeg Titans - National Conference - TAKEN

Sidney Crosby leads a new generation of Titan fans and players. The Winnipeg management have finally promised to the fans that the much-hated brown, red, yellow and blue uniforms are finally out the door and that they will be taking full advantage of the NHA Redesign Project. The Titans don't have much of a winning tradition. "We want something that will show everyone we are ready to make a step in a new direction" says Crosby "We hope they come up with something great."

(Yes, I know, the Detroit Turbos and Portland Beavers are already team names, but when I created the teams, I honestly didn't know about them. The National Hockey Association was a league I created when I was younger. I created uniforms for each team and had rosters too.)

As you can see, I don't provide any visual examples of past uniforms, just text, and that's where you use your imagination on what YOU think they might have looked like.

So there ya go! Any questions, please post here and I'll try to answer them as soon as possible. You may now start to pick your teams! 24 hours after all teams are taken, the contest will be under way.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, am I to assume that each entrant would design 2 sets total?

Yes, each entrant will design two sets, one from the American Conference and one from the National Conference.

Eyes, people will know who designed what, but I trust the members to pick the best concept and just who made it.

what the hell is ccslc?

Anaheim Red Barons & St. Louis Rivermen

So_Fla, you can only have one team in the American Conference and one team in the National Conference.

what the hell is ccslc?

Who is the star player for KC?

Wow. I forgot all about that. The current star player for the Kansas City Angels is Maxim Afinogenov.

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived